Liam Moore to Brighton

489 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Liam Moore to Brighton

by Royalwaster » 30 Jul 2018 10:25

And what's so bad in the club making £10million on a player when the club is clearly strapped for cash ... surely that's a good thing, unless you're one of those who thinks we should spend, spend, spend without balancing the books?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jul 2018 11:25

Royalwaster And what's so bad in the club making £10million on a player when the club is clearly strapped for cash ... surely that's a good thing, unless you're one of those who thinks we should spend, spend, spend without balancing the books?

Nothing wrong with a business bringing in £10 million.
The problem is that this firm is in the business of winning football matches and selling your top asset from a group that so nearly got relegated last season will make things harder - further investment in players is desperately needed.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 12:24

Victor Meldrew
Royalwaster And what's so bad in the club making £10million on a player when the club is clearly strapped for cash ... surely that's a good thing, unless you're one of those who thinks we should spend, spend, spend without balancing the books?

The problem is that this firm is in the business of winning football matches and selling your top asset from a group that so nearly got relegated last season will make things harder - further investment in players is desperately needed.

Thought we were all in agreement it was the management's fault not the players? The players are a decent bunch, yes Moore was our best player, and last season was unexpected. To expect the same level of performance from this lot again is a bit naive.

I agree we aren't looking like a promotion winning team but we are a little bit better than "doomed"

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jul 2018 12:48

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

Thought we were all in agreement it was the management's fault not the players? The players are a decent bunch, yes Moore was our best player, and last season was unexpected. To expect the same level of performance from this lot again is a bit naive.

I agree we aren't looking like a promotion winning team but we are a little bit better than "doomed"

I don't think we all agreed it was the fault of management-this bunch of players that we have are just not very good either (too old or too slow or too lacking in flair or imagination and too mentally weak).
The advent of a couple of Irish cast-offs isn't going to improve the situation-more troops needed and urgently.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 13:05

Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

I don't think we all agreed it was the fault of management-this bunch of players that we have are just not very good either (too old or too slow or too lacking in flair or imagination and too mentally weak).
The advent of a couple of Irish cast-offs isn't going to improve the situation-more troops needed and urgently.

If the team was as dire as you seem to think then no amount of (realistic) additions would have sorted us out.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic this season despite losing our best player (who I happen to think we got a great deal on if reports are to be believed)

- we finally have good competition at RB in Yiadom
- we have (hopefully) added some steel to midfield in Meyler
- we have increased competition up front with Baldock and McNulty
- Ilori came along a huge amount last season
- we brought back some important backroom staff
- expectations are at their lowest in ages
- in Swift, Barrow, Kelly, Bacuna and Mannone we have some decent options at this level
- Jaakola is no longer our number 2.

Let's give it 10 or so games before we start the relegation party thread.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Jul 2018 13:06

Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

I agree. IMO the squad is of a quality level where another relegation level would be disappointing but not surprising. If they can bring in a decent striker I think that elevates us to 'mid table' team.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Jul 2018 13:20

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth Thought we were all in agreement it was the management's fault not the players? The players are a decent bunch, yes Moore was our best player, and last season was unexpected. To expect the same level of performance from this lot again is a bit naive.

If the team was as dire as you seem to think then no amount of (realistic) additions would have sorted us out.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic this season despite losing our best player (who I happen to think we got a great deal on if reports are to be believed)

- in Swift, Barrow, Kelly, Bacuna and Mannone we have some decent options at this level

It seems to me that a common mistake fans make is to focus too much on their own players and not enough on those of teams they are competing against. You shouldn't be asking "who is our squad is ok" rather, "which of our players would an ambitious Championship club like to have in their team". You have to be honest - maybe Gunter, but he didn't have a great season last year . . . . . Bucana possibly . . . . . Aluko? He's now had two poor seasons with two teams. Maybe Barrow. But I honestly think that's it.

I'm not saying that everything is doom and gloom and that we have a bad squad, just that it's clearly lacking in most areas and a long, long way from anything that could challenge for promotion.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 13:29

Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

It seems to me that a common mistake fans make is to focus too much on their own players and not enough on those of teams they are competing against. You shouldn't be asking "who is our squad is ok" rather, "which of our players would an ambitious Championship club like to have in their team". You have to be honest - maybe Gunter, but he didn't have a great season last year . . . . . Bucana possibly . . . . . Aluko? He's now had two poor seasons with two teams. Maybe Barrow. But I honestly think that's it.

I'm not saying that everything is doom and gloom and that we have a bad squad, just that it's clearly lacking in most areas and a long, long way from anything that could challenge for promotion.

A completely fair point. It seems most people on here are however looking at our squad and saying it's crap. That's not a fair analysis imo.

Last season we 100% underperformed. Obviously that could happen again but you'd expect a coach as renowned as Clement to at least be able to ensure our base performances improve through well drilled training sessions.

I doubt we will finish in the top 10 but we have more chance of that than relegation as things stand.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs above us wouldn't mind taking Ilori, Obita, Bacuna, Swift, Kelly or Barrow off our hands. Beyond that there are still some decent players in the squad.

Let's just say I'm not worried yet despite some obvious issues with the squad/management.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 14:24

Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

Is Irish this season's 'Dutch'?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2018 18:07

I'm enjoying the fact that oilroyal's evidence for conspiracy at the club is something that happened over 20 years ago, under very different ownership, he got factually wrong and we've only got his word for the bit he thinks is impprtant for backing him up anyway.

:lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jul 2018 18:10

NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth If the team was as dire as you seem to think then no amount of (realistic) additions would have sorted us out.

A completely fair point. It seems most people on here are however looking at our squad and saying it's crap. That's not a fair analysis imo.

Last season we 100% underperformed. Obviously that could happen again but you'd expect a coach as renowned as Clement to at least be able to ensure our base performances improve through well drilled training sessions.

I doubt we will finish in the top 10 but we have more chance of that than relegation as things stand.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs above us wouldn't mind taking Ilori, Obita, Bacuna, Swift, Kelly or Barrow off our hands. Beyond that there are still some decent players in the squad.

Let's just say I'm not worried yet despite some obvious issues with the squad/management.

There used to be a poster called Andrew who used to come on here and was full of optimism as we slipped away from the Premier League and into the lower reaches of the Championship.
I think you are the new Andrew and I really wish that I could share your view that this lot is not a contender for relegation especially if our best and most committed player is about to leave.
Still, that is what we football fans are, born optimists and I regret being so long in the tooth that I cannot share your optimism and your view that Clement is the new Messiah and will make our ragbag of a squad a mid-table side when last season and in pre-season we see no signs of this awaited improvement.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 18:16

Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid

There used to be a poster called Andrew who used to come on here and was full of optimism as we slipped away from the Premier League and into the lower reaches of the Championship.
I think you are the new Andrew and I really wish that I could share your view that this lot is not a contender for relegation especially if our best and most committed player is about to leave.
Still, that is what we football fans are, born optimists and I regret being so long in the tooth that I cannot share your optimism and your view that Clement is the new Messiah and will make our ragbag of a squad a mid-table side when last season and in pre-season we see no signs of this awaited improvement.

Just to clarify one thing.

I think Clement is a good coach. Thus far I think he's shown himself to be an abysmal manager. I wasn't happy with his appointment and was horrified by his first 8 games in charge.

But I am optimistic about our squad. Plenty of good players at this level and I doubt we can get much worse than last season. If we do that'll be incredible.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2018 18:18

Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

Gunter :lol: So good we've replaced him with an improvement and we're still relegation material.

I laughed so much wee nearly came out.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 30 Jul 2018 19:00

Moore weren’t all that and l recon we’ll be mid table good improvement ta da

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Jul 2018 19:04

Blackbag Moore weren’t all that and l recon we’ll be mid table good improvement ta da

If Moore 'weren't all that' then the majority of the rest of the squad must have been utter shyte by comparison and we are in deep trouble.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 30 Jul 2018 22:17

They may be utter Shyte but we’ve seen it before with all the other billy big bollocks we’ll be ok this season

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Jul 2018 00:12

Snowflake Royal I'm enjoying the fact that oilroyal's evidence for conspiracy at the club is something that happened over 20 years ago, under very different ownership, he got factually wrong and we've only got his word for the bit he thinks is impprtant for backing him up anyway.

New season, new Ian.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 00:35

Snowflake Royal I'm enjoying the fact that oilroyal's evidence for conspiracy at the club is something that happened over 20 years ago, under very different ownership, he got factually wrong and we've only got his word for the bit he thinks is impprtant for backing him up anyway.

Ian, don't ask Oilroyal to back up his assertions - he tends to have a bit of a meltdown when challenged on that topic. Trust me, he's had previous.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 08:04

What sort of reception is Moore going to get on Friday if he plays? From what I have seen on social media our supporters seem quite calm about it. Thought they'd be complete meltdown to be honest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 08:53

After McShane's performance on Saturday, prob be a relief to see him, head turned or not

489 posts