The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Millsy » 17 Jan 2022 15:23

Hound
bcubed https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/19837797.comment-going-reading-football-club/

good article that

Agree,

He's new and not a Reading fan (IIRC from his first article) but he really researched a LOT and said some pretty decent stuff, so much so that I could forgive him for not being a fan and felt he definitely cared enough to be worthy of covering us.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Jan 2022 15:36

Mid Sussex Royal Yep agree - the new Chronicle guy looks good, got some great interviews with former players too re 150 aniv before the Luton game was called off.

Low should take note - he's abysmal - just feeds off twitter stuff

I fee; for Jonathan - just feel he is reporting the wrong subject matter. More suited for reporting on crime or village current affairs. He just has not managed to work his way into the club.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 11:11

paultheroyal
Mid Sussex Royal Yep agree - the new Chronicle guy looks good, got some great interviews with former players too re 150 aniv before the Luton game was called off.

Low should take note - he's abysmal - just feeds off twitter stuff

I fee; for Jonathan - just feel he is reporting the wrong subject matter. More suited for reporting on crime or village current affairs. He just has not managed to work his way into the club.

Whilst I agree he isn't suited to sports reporting I think his lack of proactiveness is the issue. If he had a bit of an edge or a hint of determination he could have been perfectly ok. If you look at Benjy and Charles Watts they both made things happen for themselves, which is what you have to do when you are a local reporter. Charles got in there with Gunter and McCleary and was fed info from inside the club, a lot of local club journos do the same thing. Jonathan hasn't had the nous to do that or the killer instinct it takes to get that killer story.

Nice guy though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2022 11:15

Watts got in with Tevreden didn't he? Smart move that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 11:20

Hound Watts got in with Tevreden didn't he? Smart move that.

Yep, he was hooked up. He's now got his dream job as an Arsenal reporter.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Jan 2022 11:32

I believe Benjy has a degree in sports journalism and, looking at his LinkedIn profile, is clearly prepared to work really hard and with long hours to pursue and further his career in professional sports journalism.

Unlike some other local journos, he clearly does a lot of research, has a good understanding of the technical aspects of the game, and takes the trouble to ensure that his articles aren't ridden with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

We should make the most of him whilst he's around as I suspect it won't be that long before he gets the opportunity to move onto bigger and better things than The Chronicle.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Jan 2022 12:54

RoyalBlue I believe Benjy has a degree in sports journalism and, looking at his LinkedIn profile, is clearly prepared to work really hard and with long hours to pursue and further his career in professional sports journalism.

Unlike some other local journos, he clearly does a lot of research, has a good understanding of the technical aspects of the game, and takes the trouble to ensure that his articles aren't ridden with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

We should make the most of him whilst he's around as I suspect it won't be that long before he gets the opportunity to move onto bigger and better things than The Chronicle.

+1 to all this
No one bothers much about grammar and spelling these days, but it tells me he’s serious about the job and has a professional approach.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2022 13:04

not local but our uselessness has made national:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ampionship

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2022 13:25

RoyalBlue I believe Benjy has a degree in sports journalism and, looking at his LinkedIn profile, is clearly prepared to work really hard and with long hours to pursue and further his career in professional sports journalism.

Hear, hear! Let’s hope he also becomes a Reading supporter and “spreads the word” when he does move on 8)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 12:37

Another good piece by Benjy. Tackling the issue head on rather than JLOW who seemingly is unaware there are issues at the club.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... g-fc-fans/

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Mar 2022 20:57

Benjy leaving the Chronicle which is a huge shame as he's been a breath of fresh air since starting.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Mar 2022 21:56

RG30 Benjy leaving the Chronicle which is a huge shame as he's been a breath of fresh air since starting.

That’s quick. Only been there five minutes.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Mar 2022 23:21

Not even slightly shocked he has got a better job, he's extremely good at what he does.

Massive blow to the supporters who yet again have to rely on the feeble JLow.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Mar 2022 23:37

NathStPaul Not even slightly shocked he has got a better job, he's extremely good at what he does.

Yep

Pretty clear he was too good to stay

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Mar 2022 09:58

Even the local paper is being used as a stepping stone!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Mar 2022 11:50

New guy - James Earnshaw

https://twitter.com/james_e1871

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Mar 2022 11:59

NathStPaul Not even slightly shocked he has got a better job, he's extremely good at what he does.

A big loss. By far the best footballing journalist that we have had for ages. A very tough act to follow.

But, as you say, it was clear from day one that he was destined for much bigger and better things. I think the speed of that surprised him as much as us though!

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Mar 2022 21:59

Elm Park Kid New guy - James Earnshaw

great use of non-coterminous there from the Barnsley spokesman, not often you see that phrase used.

JR

by JR » 08 Mar 2022 23:19

From a search of his twitter feed he is

a) just out of university so getting this job very early in his career; and

b) a Reading fan like any of us, who has shared plenty of frustrations on his tweets in recent years

So the question will be how much he’ll tow the party line, and hence be useless like JLow, and also given his young age and potential naivety, whether he’ll get any respect from within the club.

Good luck to him though! And I wonder want is HNA username is……

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2022 14:16

JR

From a search of his twitter feed he is

a) just out of university so getting this job very early in his career; and

b) a Reading fan like any of us, who has shared plenty of frustrations on his tweets in recent years

So the question will be how much he’ll tow the party line, and hence be useless like JLow, and also given his young age and potential naivety, whether he’ll get any respect from within the club.

Good luck to him though! And I wonder want is HNA username is……

Is he any relation to Robbie?

888 posts