The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Nov 2019 20:18

From Despair To Where? Give him a little bit of a break, it's the middle of an international break. There is literally fcuk all to report but he still has to fill copy.

And anyway, I would have thought an interview with the club captain that covers what has been quite a turbulent 3 months, even if it is through another source, is still newsworthy, and as has already been discussed on here, Moore i likely to be more open with a non affiliated journalist.

He should be out there interviewing the likes of Moore - he's not exactly away on international duty.

I say again - why has he got no contacts at the club? THAT'S HIS JOB

It would also be nice now and then if we had a proper report on the game for fans who cannot get up to matches every week instead of cr@p like "5 things you may have missed"

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Nov 2019 20:58

How do you know he hasn't approached the club for an interview with Moore? There's only so much he can push for or print from "contacts" as it's more damaging for the local press to be shut out by the club than a freelancer. Low also doesn't just cover sport.

As for the "5 things you may have missed" stuff. As has been discussed on here numerous times, on this thread for starters, the nature of journalism has changed, budgets have been stripped out and it's all about online clicks. The glory days of the local sports reporter are long gone as the media companies chase easy revenue at the expense of funding the resources to provide in depth coverage.

I was reading in an article the other day that The Athletic subscription website has poached a whole raft of local sports journalists with wages up to 3 times what papers can offer with the oportunity and resources to write in depth articles, or in other words, proper journalism. It's no surprise that the local press is on it's knees.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Nov 2019 23:27

Where's James Harper? Made a real contribution over many years. Who can forget the 3-1 win in the PL over Liverpool.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Nov 2019 00:52

Lower West Where's James Harper? Made a real contribution over many years. Who can forget the 3-1 win in the PL over Liverpool.

Depends what you base your best XI on. If you base it off the team, then Harper would be there over Sigurdsson because Harper was a good foil for Sidwell. If you base it off who the best 11 individual players are, then Sigurdsson wins over Harper

Just looked into Harper’s goals and appearances here, 25 goals in 316 appearances is a good record for a midfielder that played the way he did, that surprised me

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Nov 2019 21:58

I've defended Jonathan Low but after seeing him put Yakubu in his "15 best signings of the decade", I'd like to know where he gets his drugs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2019 14:14

new guy at the chron seems keen. Hopefully he'll get some interesting articles up

Seems genuinely interested in RFC, which I think is part of JLows problem - is he really wasn't until it became his job

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 16:21

Hound new guy at the chron seems keen. Hopefully he'll get some interesting articles up

Seems genuinely interested in RFC, which I think is part of JLows problem - is he really wasn't until it became his job

Who's the new guy?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2019 17:24

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 17:55

Always helps having a reporter who actually supports the club in question. Low is a Portsmouth supporter I think so obviously his enthusiasm won't be the same

In saying that, Watts supported Arsenal and he seemed pretty engaged with it all so not quite sure of the correlation between the two

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Nov 2019 08:46

URZZZZ Always helps having a reporter who actually supports the club in question. Low is a Portsmouth supporter I think so obviously his enthusiasm won't be the same

In saying that, Watts supported Arsenal and he seemed pretty engaged with it all so not quite sure of the correlation between the two

One is a decent reporter and one isn't?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 14:48

I like Low but he can be really dopey at times. He wrote that Akou Meite is in line to replace Puscas tomorrow. For a start, Meite started on Tuesday and secondly, is it that hard to read what you’ve written and at least get basics like names right

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2019 17:16

URZZZZ I like Low but he can be really dopey at times. He wrote that Akou Meite is in line to replace Puscas tomorrow. For a start, Meite started on Tuesday and secondly, is it that hard to read what you’ve written and at least get basics like names right

Judging by half of HNA, yes.

McLeary for example.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2019 15:50

sounds like CF has secured himself an interesting interview with GMac.

Be looking forward to reading it

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Dec 2019 11:58

Hound sounds like CF has secured himself an interesting interview with GMac.

Be looking forward to reading it

As if he's going to reveal anything revelatory whilst still contracted to the club. We need to wait until he's retired and on Ady William's podcasts for the real truth.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Dec 2019 12:11

Decent little scoop for the Chronicle:

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ose-gomes/

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Dec 2019 12:27

Old Man Andrews Decent little scoop for the Chronicle:

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ose-gomes/

I think it was a good idea for an interveiw and fair play to McCleary for doing it. I hope part 2 mentions, in more detail, the atrocious social media abuse unfairly levelled at McCleary.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Dec 2019 12:32

Thanks for the article

Gomes is a complete and utter tosser and a complete failure, you don't treat players like that

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Dec 2019 13:05

Yep a good read. Obviously really hurt GMac and I do wonder how reading that makes Mafff and his bunch of tosser mates feel (though I thought at the time and still do that McCleary took it too much to heart - though maybe easy for me to say)

There’s one thing saying he isn’t good enough to play for us anymore, there’s another tagging him into tweets slaying him and telling him to ‘get out of our club’ etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2019 18:50

Hound Yep a good read. Obviously really hurt GMac and I do wonder how reading that makes Mafff and his bunch of tosser mates feel (though I thought at the time and still do that McCleary took it too much to heart - though maybe easy for me to say)

There’s one thing saying he isn’t good enough to play for us anymore, there’s another tagging him into tweets slaying him and telling him to ‘get out of our club’ etc

Yeah, there is no one who that deserves that. Not even the worst feckless money grabbing incompetent that's ever played for us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Dec 2019 19:17

Like I said, and even Jose also said when asked by Tim, Garath McCleary and Chris Gunter are both top, first class model professionals and it is utterly unbelievable that they were ever placed in such a position.

Hope they can both go out on a high of some kind with the club this season.

888 posts