Rumour Meite back to France?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour Meite back to France?

by Royalwaster » 08 May 2019 23:24

But not that long ago a lot of people on here had written him off as not good enough for League 1 ...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 May 2019 23:35

If the interest from Lille is genuine there is no way we'll be keeping Meite, they are most likely going to be playing Champions League football next season, there's no way he'd let that opportunity slide.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 May 2019 07:06

Zip
Nameless
Zip
So whose scoring the goals if Meite leaves?

Novacovic, Oliviera ?

Presumably we know what fee we need to pay for Oliviera and would only sell a Meite if it was for that plus a large surplus

So we sell a hungry, young striker for a considerably older striker? That doesn’t fit the Gomes plan that posters are talking about. Happy to see Novakovic return btw. Ideally we have four strikers. Meite, Oliveira, Loader and Novakovic. Sell McNulty, Baldock and Bod.

Oliviera is 27 so an alternative spin is we sell a young, inexperienced, unproven striker and replace him with an experienced striker at his peak and a good wedge of cash. We know there are difficult decisions to make, in a ideal world I’d keep Meite and hope the flashes he has shown this year carry on and hope he develops into a really top player. There is no guarantee he will and you would think Oliviera is a better bet for 15 goals next season.
If selling Meite meant we get Oliviera, keep Moore and sign Miazaga for another season you have to do it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 May 2019 08:37

tidus_mi2 If the interest from Lille is genuine there is no way we'll be keeping Meite, they are most likely going to be playing Champions League football next season, there's no way he'd let that opportunity slide.

Have to agree here and Meite's comments would appear to back this view up. If Lille come in with a good offer, that probably means around 5m (though could see us accepting as low as 3) then we won't stand in his way - he has always said he would want to return to France at some point and Lille are one of the biggest clubs there.

Sell Meite and use the cash to fund the Oliveria signing might well be what we see this summer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2019 09:00

Yep definitely a fair chance he will go if they genuinely want him. £5m min though I’d have thought, though some likely to be performance related

retro royal

by retro royal » 09 May 2019 10:32

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 09 May 2019 19:38

If we get a good offer, think we should cash in on Meite.

He comes across as a streaky player who we would be selling on a high. Also question marks over whether he's technical enough for Gomes' system.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 May 2019 19:55

He's the next Nick Blackman.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2019 20:14

Zip
Nameless
Zip
So whose scoring the goals if Meite leaves?

Novacovic, Oliviera ?

Presumably we know what fee we need to pay for Oliviera and would only sell a Meite if it was for that plus a large surplus

So we sell a hungry, young striker for a considerably older striker? That doesn’t fit the Gomes plan that posters are talking about. Happy to see Novakovic return btw. Ideally we have four strikers. Meite, Oliveira, Loader and Novakovic. Sell McNulty, Baldock and Bod.

Can only sell those who are wanted.

Baldock, Bod, Barrow, Nova and Loader can all score... so even without Nelson it's not like losing Meite leaves us bereft of goals. I'm sure we'd all rather keep him, but I'd we're offered six or seven mil for him and we're struggling to shift Bod / Baldock / McNulty and haven't cashed in big on someone like Moore, Barrow or Swift then there's not much to talk about.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 May 2019 20:23

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Nameless
Novacovic, Oliviera ?

Baldock, Bod, Barrow, Nova and Loader can all score... so even without Nelson it's not like losing Meite leaves us bereft of goals. I'm sure we'd all rather keep him, but I'd we're offered six or seven mil for him and we're struggling to shift Bod / Baldock / McNulty and haven't cashed in big on someone like Moore, Barrow or Swift then there's not much to talk about.

Cant agree. Loader has scored once so far. Novakovic is very much unknown in the Championship. Baldock has never been a consistent scorer and Bod is a sick note. As a squad we have been lightweight over the past couple of years. We need Meite not just for his goals but also for his ability to rough up opposition players.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 May 2019 21:01

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Cant agree. Loader has scored once so far. Novakovic is very much unknown in the Championship. Baldock has never been a consistent scorer and Bod is a sick note. As a squad we have been lightweight over the past couple of years. We need Meite not just for his goals but also for his ability to rough up opposition players.

You can get that for far less than is being rumoured as on offer. Take the money and buy another big lump to rough up the oppo.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 May 2019 21:59

Jagermesiter1871
Zip
Snowflake Royal Can only sell those who are wanted.

You can get that for far less than is being rumoured as on offer. Take the money and buy another big lump to rough up the oppo.

Well yes but without the goals

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 May 2019 22:39

Would he start at Lille though?

In that interview he talks about being settled and happy at Reading and wanting to make the best decision for his career. He may see getting games in the Championship and better for him in the ling term.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 09 May 2019 22:54

From Despair To Where? Would he start at Lille though?

In that interview he talks about being settled and happy at Reading and wanting to make the best decision for his career. He may see getting games in the Championship and better for him in the ling term.

No chance. If he fails at Lille, the next move for him would be something like a championship club or lower Ligue 1 in France. Fail at Reading next season and it’s League 2 in France. It’s a no-brainer

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2019 01:44

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yet the unproven ones can often turn out to be the best (anyone heard of Pukki this time 12 months ago?). Baldock is a very smart + intelligent footballer, but in a 4-2-3-1, he's finished here. I think Baldock would be the perfect sort of player that McDermott would like in a 4-4-2

Bodvarsson is better than Meite but his injury problems are a concern. Coincidentally though, he featured in 42 out of 46 championship games for Wolves in his solitary season there. So is it him being the sicknote or the medical staff here? Maybe a mixture of both but we do seem to have a recurring problem with injuries

Like Kelly, I'd like to keep McNulty, but it's not happening so there's no point even discussing it

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2019 08:29

The question for me is do we really see Lille dropping the 6 or 7 million we all want? That would make him a fairly expensive signing for them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 May 2019 08:53

NewCorkSeth The question for me is do we really see Lille dropping the 6 or 7 million we all want? That would make him a fairly expensive signing for them.

Doesn't care if Lille have the 6 or 7m we all want - it's whether they have the Xm that the club will accept. My view is that given the state of our FFP finances we would likely accept a lot less that 7m - maybe even half that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2019 09:07

Stranded
NewCorkSeth The question for me is do we really see Lille dropping the 6 or 7 million we all want? That would make him a fairly expensive signing for them.

Doesn't care if Lille have the 6 or 7m we all want - it's whether they have the Xm that the club will accept. My view is that given the state of our FFP finances we would likely accept a lot less that 7m - maybe even half that.

Certainly would be interesting if the club accepts 3m or so. It will be a good indicator of where our finances are at. Also at 3m Meite would be a great signing for Lille. He wont start as they go into their champions league campaign but he would be decent backup for Pepe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2019 10:58

Stranded

Depends largely on who else is wanted. Its not like we have to sell everyone we have.

If they offer 3m for Meite, but Leeds are actually offering 7m for Swift for example, we wouldn't have to accept the Meite offer.

Needle

by Needle » 10 May 2019 13:49

Hound
Stranded

Depends largely on who else is wanted. Its not like we have to sell everyone we have.

If they offer 3m for Meite, but Leeds are actually offering 7m for Swift for example, we wouldn't have to accept the Meite offer.

Meite's four year contract was one of Gourlay's wasn't it? If he's on stupid money Howe will want him off the wage bill.