Rumour - Vito Mannone

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Vito Mannone

by Hound » 13 Jan 2020 12:44

That what they were paying him. I assume we were also significantly subsidising that on top

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jan 2020 12:51

Mannone probably had a generous contract, but he's not in the same league as Aluko in terms of how bad a signing. He made some big contributions in 16/17, and that's before we consider Aluko's obscene fee.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 13 Jan 2020 13:00

WoodleyRoyal apparently rejected the contract offer from Minnesota, from my understanding hes on mega-money, one of, if not the highest-paid player at the club. I wonder if any transfers in are dependant on him leaving this window.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-17542710

before Moore signed his new contract, Mannone was the highest earner at the club so will be hard to shift this window unless we contribute a hefty whack of wages.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jan 2020 09:40

gazzer, loyal royal
WoodleyRoyal apparently rejected the contract offer from Minnesota, from my understanding hes on mega-money, one of, if not the highest-paid player at the club. I wonder if any transfers in are dependant on him leaving this window.

before Moore signed his new contract, Mannone was the highest earner at the club so will be hard to shift this window unless we contribute a hefty whack of wages.

Isn’t that the same with any transfers though ? No player will move clubs and take a pay cut on an existing contract. It seemed a given to me that as part of moving any player on you pay up his contract one way or another, ideally by him getting a bigger deal,at his new club. Players would rightly point out that if they have a contract for 3 years and the club tries to end it early then they are entitled to the balance to be paid up before they move.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Jan 2020 09:48

Nameless
gazzer, loyal royal

Isn’t that the same with any transfers though ? No player will move clubs and take a pay cut on an existing contract. It seemed a given to me that as part of moving any player on you pay up his contract one way or another, ideally by him getting a bigger deal,at his new club. Players would rightly point out that if they have a contract for 3 years and the club tries to end it early then they are entitled to the balance to be paid up before they move.

we should be looking to terminate the contract by mutual consent pay him 3-month wages of his remaining 6, freeing him up to move where the oxf*rd he likes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jan 2020 10:46

depends really. Someone might offer him a decent 2.5 year deal at a lower wage than he is on now, and he might decide that is in his own interests to accept that now, rather than risk being ooc and therefore not having a guaranteed wage

I doubt we'd be asking a fee

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Jan 2020 11:13

Hound depends really. Someone might offer him a decent 2.5 year deal at a lower wage than he is on now, and he might decide that is in his own interests to accept that now, rather than risk being ooc and therefore not having a guaranteed wage

I doubt we'd be asking a fee

That's pretty much what Minnesota did, and he rejected it...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jan 2020 11:19

Was Mannone not "GK of the year" in the MLS? Surely another club, one that can match his wages, should be interested? Christ what is his agent doing?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2020 12:53

Reading in to it, the stumbling block seems to be him not being offered "Designated Player" status, which allows the club to designate 3 players whose wages are not included in the salary cap. It seems Minnesota have 1 designated player slot available and wanted to save it, whereas I assume Mannone's wages not being designated could impact on the money available for the rest of the squad.

Apparently, they were paying him $540,000 last season and had offered him more. Bear in mind the salary cap for the whole team is a shade over $4m for 18 players, a salary if $600,000 can be accommodated.

The 3 designated player slot are usually reserved for seriously big signings. For example, when NYCFC had Lampard, Villa and Pirlo in 2016, those 3 as designated players, where each individually earning more than the salary cap and together where earning nearly 5 times as much as the rest of the squad put together. That is an extreme example but it is designed to attract world class players to MLS whilst theoretically sticking to a salary cap. It was brought in the aftermath of Beckham going to LA.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jan 2020 13:49

I remember reading about the salary cap but had thought when I posted that there must be one team in the states willing to take a punt on the GK of the year.. especially considering we apparently dont expect a fee.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2020 15:28

I can see Minnesota's point of view though. They're offering to make him the highest paid goalkeeper in the league and they're not going to blow their designated player slot on someone they feel they can accommodate within the salary cap. They are now being linked with Joe Hart.

This leads me to believe that the issue here is with Mannone. The highest paid keeper in MLS last year was Brad Guzan on $750,000. I don't really know what Mannone is expecting, I can't see where a better offer will come from. He could play hardball and end up in Serie B on a third of what Minnesota are offering and possibly all because he's sitting pretty for another 6 months on a fcuking stupid contract with us.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Jan 2020 15:50

Assuming we're stuck with him for 6 months anyway, should we try to offload Sam Walker, and have Mannone as No.2. He may not fancy being back-up, but, tough.
Then next season have Southwood as backup.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2020 15:55

I'd offer to pay up the difference on what we pay him and what Minnesota offered and throw in a 1 way ticket to Minneapolis.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Jan 2020 16:00

From Despair To Where? I'd offer to pay up the difference on what we pay him and what Minnesota offered and throw in a 1 way ticket to Minneapolis.

Over the length of the contract that Minnesota are offering?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2020 16:10

No, for what's left of his contract here. Effectively loan him for half a season

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 11 Sep 2020 11:40

About to sign for AS Monaco apparently, this article quotes SkyItalia as its source

https://www.footmercato.net/a2069709093 ... las-monaco

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2020 11:59

Linden Jones' Tash About to sign for AS Monaco apparently, this article quotes SkyItalia as its source

Back to being a no.2 then. No way he’s getting close to displacing Lecomte :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2020 20:55

CountryRoyal
Linden Jones' Tash About to sign for AS Monaco apparently, this article quotes SkyItalia as its source

Back to being a no.2 then. No way he’s getting close to displacing Lecomte :lol:

Can think of worse places to be paid not to play football.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Sep 2020 08:20

Stranded
CountryRoyal

Name one.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Sep 2020 08:29

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
CountryRoyal

Name one.

Reading?