RUMOUR - Gomes wanted

SpaghettiHoop

RUMOUR - Gomes wanted

by SpaghettiHoop » 22 May 2019 15:22

Gomes wanted by several clubs including one from Premier League according to Sky.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes wanted

by Hendo » 22 May 2019 15:25

Which Premier League club is looking for a manager? I can't see anyone sacking their current manager to hire a still inexperienced Gomes. And before anyone says Newcastle, they would be looking for someone with a much higher profile than Gomes and Rafa is just as likely to stay there, the fans love him up there.

Likely to be agent talk trying to get Reading to give Gomes a contact extension and a pay rise, which he fully deserves.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Gomes wanted

by Greatwesternline » 22 May 2019 15:32

Comes in Reading are 23rd in the table.

6 months later Reading finish 20th. I like the guy but seriously.

If a premier league team thinks that's the best they can do i'd be very surprised. Why is no one interested in Bielsa? He took a middling Leeds team and very nearly got them promoted playing good football.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 May 2019 15:33

Hendo Which Premier League club is looking for a manager? I can't see anyone sacking their current manager to hire a still inexperienced Gomes. And before anyone says Newcastle, they would be looking for someone with a much higher profile than Gomes and Rafa is just as likely to stay there, the fans love him up there.

Likely to be agent talk trying to get Reading to give Gomes a contact extension and a pay rise, which he fully deserves.

Normally i would agree its just agent talk to get a new contract. But considering he only came in January with us in a perilous position i doubt it. His agent should have negotiated that beforehand. I imagine he probably had a bonus written that if we stay up he would have got x and if we went down he could walk for free.

Portuguese managers are in vogue at the moment, I don't see why a prem team wouldn't be interested

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 May 2019 15:34

Middlesbrough and WBA come to mind, but I would hope the owners move to tie him down with a contract improvement.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 22 May 2019 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 22 May 2019 15:37

Has said on numerous occasions he loves the club. Let's see if he meant it...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2019 15:39

WoodleyRoyal
Hendo Which Premier League club is looking for a manager? I can't see anyone sacking their current manager to hire a still inexperienced Gomes. And before anyone says Newcastle, they would be looking for someone with a much higher profile than Gomes and Rafa is just as likely to stay there, the fans love him up there.

Normally i would agree its just agent talk to get a new contract. But considering he only came in January with us in a perilous position i doubt it. His agent should have negotiated that beforehand. I imagine he probably had a bonus written that if we stay up he would have got x and if we went down he could walk for free.

Portuguese managers are in vogue at the moment, I don't see why a prem team wouldn't be interested

I can't remember the exact length of his contact, but I seem to remember being shocked about how short it was, maybe 18 months? If that is the case, he would be coming up for only a year left which would make sense to renew at this time.

Agree re: bonus' and Portuguese managers being in vogue though, but surely there would be others out there with a bigger rep than Gomes?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 May 2019 15:40

royal_rumble Has said on numerous occasions he loves the club. Let's see if he meant it...

Gave him a stepping stone to the English league, it would be odd if he did a runner after just 6 months. but nothing surprises me in football these days.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 22 May 2019 15:45

windermereROYAL
royal_rumble Has said on numerous occasions he loves the club. Let's see if he meant it...

Gave him a stepping stone to the English league, it would be odd if he did a runner after just 6 months. but nothing surprises me in football these days.

Could be to do with FFP. His hands are tied now not being able to bring anyone in unless we sell. I think he's done a great job and his stock is higher now than in 12 months having to probably fight relegation again with reduced resources. Wouldn't blame him as everyone wants to progress for their family.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2019 16:25

SpaghettiHoop Gomes wanted by several clubs including one from Premier League according to Sky.

PMSL.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 May 2019 16:27

Snowflake Royal
SpaghettiHoop Gomes wanted by several clubs including one from Premier League according to Sky.

PMSL.

Quoted for posterity.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 May 2019 16:43

Wouldn't be surprised if another Champ club are interested, close to play-off form since Feb and could get him cheap.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 22 May 2019 17:14

Derby interested as well apparently, if Lampard switches to Chelsea - Courtney (former Chronicle reporter).

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 May 2019 17:46

I’ve missed the speculation about our managers in the last few years. Because they’ve all been shit.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2019 17:52

Wallsy Derby interested as well apparently, if Lampard switches to Chelsea - Courtney (former Chronicle reporter).

There are an awful lot of if’s in that !

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 22 May 2019 18:03

Stranded Wouldn't be surprised if another Champ club are interested, close to play-off form since Feb and could get him cheap.

23 points from 17 games since the start of Feb, scoring 16 goals.

He did a good job but I'd be surprised if anyone is seriously considering him

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 May 2019 18:28

It’s not just his points per game that will have attracted interest. Other clubs will be attracted to his playing style and the energy he brings to a club and their players.

Personally, I think he has enough about him to go on a be PL manager, or at the very least a top 6 Champ manager.

Would be gutted if he went elsewhere but I wouldn’t blame him given the juggling act he needs to perform under FFP this summer, and all thanks to the Gourlay and Stam ego party.

Edit: add in how well he worked all of the loanees and U23’s into a failing team and like I say, he’s the complete package.
Last edited by Oilroyal on 22 May 2019 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 May 2019 18:38

Wallsy Derby interested as well apparently, if Lampard switches to Chelsea - Courtney (former Chronicle reporter).

If they win the play-offs I would be astounded if they went for a manager unproven at that level.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 May 2019 18:47

Oilroyal Edit: add in how well he worked all of the loanees and U23’s into a failing team and like I say, he’s the complete package.

That was good fortune. Let's see how he does at the beginning of next season. Particularly if the next crop of loanees (i.e. Steve Clarke era) don't work out so well.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 May 2019 18:56

Lower West
Oilroyal Edit: add in how well he worked all of the loanees and U23’s into a failing team and like I say, he’s the complete package.

That was good fortune. Let's see how he does at the beginning of next season. Particularly if the next crop of loanees (i.e. Steve Clarke era) don't work out so well.

I know it’s in our nature as Reading fans to be pessimistic and not credit others for their good work but I do think we should give credit where credit is due. But if you perfer to put it all down to good luck who am I to convince you otherwise. We'll have to wait and see, that's if he sticks around until August.