Speculation - Rio Ave players / Portuguese

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Speculation - Rio Ave players / Portuguese

by maffff » 27 May 2019 21:50

Who would you want to see here?

We know Reading did some scouting at Rio Ave recently, we also know we have several areas we need to strengthen.

Three players from Rio Ave have already confirmed they are leaving or Rio Ave would listen to offers

- Léo (Jardim), Brazilian Goalkeeper. Was on loan from Grêmio. Made into a permanent deal this summer, Rio Ave know there's interest and he's likely to leave. Had an outstanding season, still only 24(?). Work permit could be an issue?

- Fábio Coentrão, left back. Former Real Madrid, returned to the club he developed at (having taken a huge wage cut). Only 31, has confirmed he's leaving (on a free) and wants to move to a foreign league.

- Jonathan Buatu, left footed centre back. 25, full Angola international who played through the Belgium International youth teams from u17-u19. Has 3 years left on his contract, was phased out of the first team upon Rúben Semedo joining on loan (expected to become permanent this summer), first went to the bench then entirely out the side.

All 3 were taken to Rio Ave by Gomes and were regulars in the team until he departed. Could any end up here?

Is there anyone else realistic in the Portuguese leagues we may look at? Are any of the above realistic? Kia has links there it seems and Gomes obviously knows the league.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Speculation - Rio Ave players / Portuguese

by From Despair To Where? » 27 May 2019 22:16

Transfermarkt also have Nelson Monte listed as OOC at Rio Ave. Centre back who can also play RB. Was a regular this season, particularly under Gomes until an ankle injury ended his season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 May 2019 22:24

Impossible to know how good these players are and if they are suited to Championship football. We have to trust our manager on this.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2019 22:33

Would love Coentrao but suspect there would be competition, probably from the Middle East and China if nothing else.

Buatu doesn't look like the solution - only 1.87m so doesn't have the same physical presence as Miazga, he made no appearances in two years at Fulham, and he's only played 11 games for Rio Ave (out of a possible 34). But maybe he'll surprise us.

Looks like, at least on paper, Leo hasn't lived up to his early promise (some Brazil U20 caps but he's 24 and had barely played before this loan). But then the same was true of Martinez and he did alright.

I know nothing about them but Coentrao has an impressive career history and the other two don't.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 May 2019 05:00

From Despair To Where? Transfermarkt also have Nelson Monte listed as OOC at Rio Ave. Centre back who can also play RB. Was a regular this season, particularly under Gomes until an ankle injury ended his season.

He's contracted for another 4 seasons.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 28 May 2019 06:08

SCIAG Would love Coentrao but suspect there would be competition, probably from the Middle East and China if nothing else.

Buatu doesn't look like the solution - only 1.87m so doesn't have the same physical presence as Miazga, he made no appearances in two years at Fulham, and he's only played 11 games for Rio Ave (out of a possible 34). But maybe he'll surprise us.

Looks like, at least on paper, Leo hasn't lived up to his early promise (some Brazil U20 caps but he's 24 and had barely played before this loan). But then the same was true of Martinez and he did alright.

I know nothing about them but Coentrao has an impressive career history and the other two don't.

I know a lot about Coentrao and in short, no way. He was at one point tipped to be one of best LBs in the world and then got his move to Real. But his career has been absolutely blighted with injuries and motivation issues. They started calling him glass legs in Portugal at one point. He no doubt has quality but he would not be able to handle the physical game here at all. Coentrao, as someone else has said, is probably off to a league like China or the A League somewhere to pick up his last few pay cheques.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 May 2019 08:50

maffff
From Despair To Where? Transfermarkt also have Nelson Monte listed as OOC at Rio Ave. Centre back who can also play RB. Was a regular this season, particularly under Gomes until an ankle injury ended his season.

He's contracted for another 4 seasons.

That knocks that one on the head then.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 May 2019 18:41

Ranty McRantface
SCIAG Would love Coentrao but suspect there would be competition, probably from the Middle East and China if nothing else.

I know a lot about Coentrao and in short, no way. He was at one point tipped to be one of best LBs in the world and then got his move to Real. But his career has been absolutely blighted with injuries and motivation issues. They started calling him glass legs in Portugal at one point. He no doubt has quality but he would not be able to handle the physical game here at all. Coentrao, as someone else has said, is probably off to a league like China or the A League somewhere to pick up his last few pay cheques.

I was the one who said that :wink:

Nonetheless I'd be very pleased (if cautious) if we signed him. Loved having Anton Ferdinand, Wayne Bridge, and Royston Drenthe here even though they were only able to contribute in limited amounts, while as a best case scenario Vicente is a big part of the reason Brighton are where they are today. You're right that it's probably not sensible, but I'd be happy to throw sensible out the window for the chance to see a top-level player make a few expensive appearances for us.

Plus it would be nice to have signed two players who had their Real Madrid career ruined by Marcelo.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 May 2019 01:49

Zip Impossible to know how good these players are and if they are suited to Championship football.

Well, some in here, by their own admission, aren’t even familiar with Champ players.
At least one or two are offering up info/input on foreign players. Fine by me.
Which should be encouraged, right? Helps a forum of 20-30 odd years thrive.
Of course, a mgr (Gomes) may know more. Be surprised if he didn’t, esp in this case.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2019 15:54

'Hi Mr Coentrao, I know you are a multiple champions league winner and at 31 still have a few years left in you, but how do you fancy ignoring those lucrative offers from China and the Middle East and instead opting for a crack at not quite being relegated to the 3rd division in England in front of a half empty mongbowl for much less money?'

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Jun 2019 14:48

:lol:

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1