Rumour: Joe Piggott

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour: Joe Piggott

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2019 17:43

John Smith Joe Piggott is not good enough to play for Reading FC in the Championship.

Also can people please stop mentioning/considering/wasting their time with Novakovich.

Only if you oxf*rd off.

Novakovich is great.
Novakovich for No. 9.
Woo Novakovich.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Jun 2019 18:15

John Smith
Coppells Lost Coat
John Smith How many Ligue 2 games did Meite play last season then mate?

The point was that Meite had a loan spell at Ligue 2 and Nova played in the Top Dutch league and out scored him in comparison.
We were comparing loan spells were we not? Or does that not fit your hypothesis?

Of course it doesn't. Harry Kane had a loan spell at Leyton Orient in League One and only scored 5 goals.

What is the point you're trying to make?

The point we’re trying to make is that he should be considered, regardless of how his career will pan out long term. How many fans were crying out for Meite to be in the 1st team after his average loan at Socheax? He might well go on to have a better career then Nova but then and again maybe he won’t.

But dismissing him like you have is plain foolishness :wink:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 25 Jun 2019 10:46

John Smith
Coppells Lost Coat
John Smith How many Ligue 2 games did Meite play last season then mate?

The point was that Meite had a loan spell at Ligue 2 and Nova played in the Top Dutch league and out scored him in comparison.
We were comparing loan spells were we not? Or does that not fit your hypothesis?

Of course it doesn't. Harry Kane had a loan spell at Leyton Orient in League One and only scored 5 goals.

What is the point you're trying to make?

You've just made the point yourself with your Harry Kane comparison! Nova might well take to the Championship really well. Worth giving him a go in at least pre season seeing as he cost us next to nothing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Jun 2019 09:31

Tilehurstsouthbank You've just made the point yourself with your Harry Kane comparison! Nova might well take to the Championship really well. Worth giving him a go in at least pre season seeing as he cost us next to nothing.

Kane was 17 when he was at Orient. Novakovich is 22 now and is clearly not cut out for top flight football. He's only excelled in the Dutch second tier - a glorified pub league. He is like a poor man's Böðvarsson, a player who we are shipping out anyway. He would not improve our side.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Jun 2019 13:52

John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank You've just made the point yourself with your Harry Kane comparison! Nova might well take to the Championship really well. Worth giving him a go in at least pre season seeing as he cost us next to nothing.

Kane was 17 when he was at Orient. Novakovich is 22 now and is clearly not cut out for top flight football. He's only excelled in the Dutch second tier - a glorified pub league. He is like a poor man's Böðvarsson, a player who we are shipping out anyway. He would not improve our side.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Jose agrees with you. Hopefully he'll make a more informed decision though...

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Jun 2019 14:35

John Smith

It is very hard as we do not potentially have a lot of options this year, I still think if Böðvarsson was not perma crocked he could get 20 goals in a season but he is not going to hold the ball up aswell and play in other players like Oliveira would.
If we have to sell to balance the books and we can not replace players that are sold Novakovich is another option at CF that doesn't cost us a vast amount on not very high wages.
I hate to say this as I hate to compare the 2 but if this was Football Manager, You would sell the perma - crocks Bodvarsson and Baldock and get rid of the player that wants out in Mcnulty, then replace them with Oliveira and keep Novakovich as a cheap alternative that either works out by January or is a fairly inexpensive experiment that you sell on then with Loader and Meite to cover if needed. This makes the best sense both financially and for the team.

I still dont think this is the most important area to worry about it wont matter how many goals we score next year if we can find another CB and GK to stop them going in the other end. I think finding a first choice player for each position is the more important thing by the time the season kicks off. Then use the youngsters to push them for there place in the squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2019 17:30

TBF to Bod he has had one injury plagued season in his whole career from what I can make out. Baldock a different story though

It’s not that we don’t have a lot of options - we do - it’s just not really clear which ones are worth keeping as at the moment they all seem about the same standard

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2019 19:42

John Smith

You might be more credible if you knew we weren't in the top flight.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2019 19:44

Hound TBF to Bod he has had one injury plagued season in his whole career from what I can make out. Baldock a different story though

It’s not that we don’t have a lot of options - we do - it’s just not really clear which ones are worth keeping as at the moment they all seem about the same standard

Both Bod's seasons with us have been riddled with injuries. This season much worse than last, but last season still wasn't great.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2019 20:16

Was the first? Remember an ankle injury for a few weeks but not much else. Just wasn’t picked for a lot of it

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Jun 2019 22:04

John Smith

How many times have you seen him play?
I really haven’t seen him play all that much myself.
(I am, of course, well aware of where he’s been playing)

Pursuant to that, can you break down his game and what will hold him back, both now and in the future at a Champ level?

I’d like to see more of him myself, but I’m neither agreeing or disagreeing, just want more insight from those who have watched him a lot (like yourself?) on why he can’t and won’t play at this level? (Obv would be a boost if he could, in our predicament.)

Has he not developed/improved as a player in the Dutch leagues? I’m just asking.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jun 2019 23:32

Denver Royal
John Smith

How many times have you seen him play?
I really haven’t seen him play all that much myself.
(I am, of course, well aware of where he’s been playing)

Pursuant to that, can you break down his game and what will hold him back, both now and in the future at a Champ level?

I’d like to see more of him myself, but I’m neither agreeing or disagreeing, just want more insight from those who have watched him a lot (like yourself?) on why he can’t and won’t play at this level? (Obv would be a boost if he could, in our predicament.)

Has he not developed/improved as a player in the Dutch leagues? I’m just asking.

Aside from a brief spell vs Watford back in 2015, never seen Novakovich play

But taking a general approach, Dutch football seems a lot different to "English football". Therefore, whilst his experience may have made him a better player, it hasn't necessarily made him adept to Championship football. Going from tippy tappy football to the Den in 6 months is certainly a hell of a change etc...

This is why I'm sceptical of Novakovich, I don't think the skills he's learned in the Netherlands are easily transferable to the Championship. I'm not on JS levels of dismissing him, but I'd be surprised if he features much next season

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Jun 2019 07:00

Hound TBF to Bod he has had one injury plagued season in his whole career from what I can make out. Baldock a different story though

That for me is why it is so important to us that we manage to bring Oliveira in as he has the quality for the championship now, not potential, he is proven as a good forward at this level with experience and ability already there. He is key to our season not ending up in disaster. The other options available as they would've taken us down last season, inexperienced but with potential Loader included, They weren't good enough for four fifths of the season.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 28 Jun 2019 18:53

Daily Mail still claiming we are the front runners for his signature, but they've added nothing more to the story. It's a bit of an odd one really.

If this lad does come in, then I'd assume Bodvarsson is surplus to requirements. Or we are readying ourselves to lose a couple of forwards to bring some money in. (esp if we are bringing Oli in as well).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2019 19:06

Wallsy Daily Mail still claiming we are the front runners for his signature, but they've added nothing more to the story. It's a bit of an odd one really.

If this lad does come in, then I'd assume Bodvarsson is surplus to requirements. Or we are readying ourselves to lose a couple of forwards to bring some money in. (esp if we are bringing Oli in as well).

Baldock & McNulty might do it and would probs be preferable to losing Bod, though 2 for 2 seems not enough out. Fear for Nova, less worried if Bod goes.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Sep 2020 10:16

Dust off the old rumours:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-22752560

09:56

Swansea and Reading eyeing Dons skipper

Wimbledon captain Joe Pigott is attracting big interest from the Championship before the transfer window shuts.
Pigott, 26, has got one year left on his current deal, scored 18 goals last season and has already got two goals and four assists this term.
His stats put him equal with Tottenham’s England captain Harry Kane across all four divisions of being involved in six goals this season.
That has alerted a lot of interest from Championship clubs including Swansea, Reading and others as he could be available for around £200,000 because of his contract situation.
Pigott began his career at Charlton, joined Wimbledon from non-league Maidstone and has now got 34 goals in 95 appearances for the League One club and is one of the best players in the division.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Sep 2020 10:24

dust off the old response - wouldn't be a bad signing as long as we were able to offload Baldock, McNulty, Smith etc

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Sep 2020 10:29

He has done well in an under performing team where there is absolutely zero pressure on him, similar to McNulty at Coventry when they were in League 2. Think Piggott would be a huge punt.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 11:16

What Hound said.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 29 Sep 2020 11:25

Old Man Andrews Think Piggott would be a huge punt.
Feel that's a bit harsh, you don't even know him