Will Gomes stay?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Will Gomes stay?

by paddy20 » 15 Jul 2019 15:31

He's seems to be getting more and more frustrated and who can blame him? Due to our financial position I can't see many coming in as we will struggle to get rid of players on high salaries. Does Gomes stay and risk relegation on his CV or will he take the pragmatic option and say I cant keep this team up with no players and leave whilst his convenance is high??

Cape Town Royal

Re: Will Gomes stay?

by Cape Town Royal » 15 Jul 2019 15:34

Do you panic for a living or is it just a Reading FC thing?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 Jul 2019 15:36

paddy20 Due to our financial position I can't see many coming in...

We would have explained our financial position b4 he signed on?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2019 15:59

No manager with an once of common sense will walk away from a contract.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2019 16:02

He won't leave but it may sway his view on signing a new deal, depending on how we do of course.

His contract expires next summer doesn't it?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Jul 2019 16:18

paddy20 He's seems to be getting more and more frustrated and who can blame him? Due to our financial position I can't see many coming in as we will struggle to get rid of players on high salaries. Does Gomes stay and risk relegation on his CV or will he take the pragmatic option and say I cant keep this team up with no players and leave whilst his convenance is high??

If he has any sense he would see how the season unfolds. I calculate that we have 11 Academy players who could break through this season and so that is the big hope IMO. If even 6 of these play 10 or more games that will fill a lot of gaps.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Jul 2019 16:22

Denver Royal

im not sure the exact extent of our FFP was widely known at that point. he certainly seemed to think we would be getting players in early for the new season.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Jul 2019 16:23

andrew1957
paddy20 He's seems to be getting more and more frustrated and who can blame him? Due to our financial position I can't see many coming in as we will struggle to get rid of players on high salaries. Does Gomes stay and risk relegation on his CV or will he take the pragmatic option and say I cant keep this team up with no players and leave whilst his convenance is high??

If he has any sense he would see how the season unfolds. I calculate that we have 11 Academy players who could break through this season and so that is the big hope IMO. If even 6 of these play 10 or more games that will fill a lot of gaps.

that seems a recipe for disaster to me.
fine to bring them through, and ease them in etc, but preferably not all in one go when you have no other choice

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jul 2019 16:32

Maneki Neko
Denver Royal

im not sure the exact extent of our FFP was widely known at that point. he certainly seemed to think we would be getting players in early for the new season.

Of course it was.
That's why he made such a big thing of the loan players coming in for nothing. All that has happened since then is our position has improved.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jul 2019 16:40

Maneki Neko
andrew1957

that seems a recipe for disaster to me.
fine to bring them through, and ease them in etc, but preferably not all in one go when you have no other choice

Isn't that what we have done ?
Rino, Loader, Olise, Richards, Watson have got decent experience in the last 12 months (Olise less experience but looks to be ready to go anyway). McIntyre, Osho, Howe, East, Barrett all involved last season so the barrier of 'first team football' has been broken for them. Novacovic 2 full seasons in Dutch football, full international caps. The process has started and most of them are not 17-18 year olds but 20-22. There is certainly a risk element and not all will make the transition but we aren't suddenly taking a bunch of kids away from GCSE studies and making them play men's football. The other factor is most of them have had 2-3 years of playing in a pretty successful U23 side so are used to playing together.
I reckon for several of them it is exactly the right time to be thrown in, Tom McIntyre is a footballer with a brain and is ready, Olise looks like a proper talent, Howe looked at home in his brief run against Brum, Novacovic is proven.
They won't win us the title and we certainly need a couple of players to bolster the squad but we've got a lot of talent. Talkig to a QPR fan today and they have basically been taking on players rejected at other clubs at this level, much more worrying way to proceed.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Jul 2019 16:57

Cape Town Royal Do you panic for a living or is it just a Reading FC thing?

Ha Ha having watched Reading continuously since 1962 its definitely a RFC thing! Unfortunately cant see us surviving this season. You cant just put all your young players in and expect to do well and it may harm their development. We just about survived last season with 5 top loan players. Without those this season we must be favourites to go down. I just cant believe how thick our senior management must have been or they were on a massive ego trip and didn't care about the long term

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2019 17:11

We can still put together a team with plenty of experience if we need to

Worst case is we bring Gunter and McCleary back in. Though obvs not ideal

But yeah he is definitely getting frustrated. Does worry me tbh

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Jul 2019 17:14

Luton Barnsley Charlton all promoted, Charlton, in particular, are a financial mess and won't be signing anyone. we will have enough to stay up with the team we have at the moment, regardless of who else we might or might not sign

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Jul 2019 17:22

I reckon he'll stay but you never know he could end up going to Sheff Wed.

I know they have similar problems to us but they probably have a better squad of players for him to work with. Don't really see this happening but nothing would surprise me in football.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jul 2019 21:38

WoodleyRoyal Luton Barnsley Charlton all promoted, Charlton, in particular, are a financial mess and won't be signing anyone. we will have enough to stay up with the team we have at the moment, regardless of who else we might or might not sign

QPR will be struggling big time too.
Speaking to a QPR fan this morning who was telling me how their plans for a 40,000 seater stadium are falling apart. Probably fortunate....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 22:35

Maneki Neko
Denver Royal

He also said we had to sell to buy and might have to give people away to get them off the books.

This is why we can't just sit here trying to offload expensive wasters. We have to be prepared to cash in on someone costly and good if they're not moving... ie Swift, Barrow, Loader, Meite.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Jul 2019 22:56

We can’t just rely on three teams being worse than us for the third season running though can we.

As it is, this squad may be competitive in the EFL Trophy. But not the EFL Championship. Gomes knows this too, hence the sudden pressing comments on recruitment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 23:02

royalp-we We can’t just rely on three teams being worse than us for the third season running though can we.

As it is, this squad may be competitive in the EFL Trophy. But not the EFL Championship. Gomes knows this too, hence the sudden pressing comments on recruitment.

Well, it'll be more competitive than a 10 point fine.

It is what it is. Expectations should be set accordingly.

We also can't keep spending more than we've got really badly.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 15 Jul 2019 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Jul 2019 23:07

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we We can’t just rely on three teams being worse than us for the third season running though can we.

Well, it'll be more competitive than a 10 point fine.

It is what it is. Expectations should be set accordingly.

I wasn’t questioning why we are doing it Ian. Just setting my own expectations for a real struggle unless we work on ins / outs immediately.

People are pointing out a couple of teams who are worse than us on paper. It’s not looking good at all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2019 23:08

It's not like we're doing nothing or people aren't aware.

We're in trouble but we're hardly a lost cause.

Look on the bright side. If we do go down, we'll have got invaluable experience for a lot of promising Academy players at a higher level and got through our big financial worry of a season, so finances become less stretched again, with a whole lot more deadwood off the books by being ooc. Plus we'll have saleable assets we basically have to flog in Moore, Meite, Barrow etc.

We could win L1 and bounce back.