Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

217 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2020 11:13

At the end of the day good luck to Danny, hope he does well wherever he chooses to go.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jul 2020 13:40

Hound not the most reliable of sources, but C Friday reckoned he was on a shit ton of wages as well.

Probably why even Manchester United have shed a load of junior players. No money in the game currently.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Jul 2020 19:09

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/football ... yer-wages/

I know this is to be taken with a pinch of salt but above is a link to the wages of our players put together from various sources. Interesting that if every player leaves that is out of contract out our weekly wage drops from 420k per week to approx 280k per week. That is a massive drop in running cost. I think there is going to be a lot of bargains and good free agents floating around this year and with the exception of Obita all the rest is good riddance or a good servant but there time has come.

This could be a very good year for clearing the decks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 23:45

If that's true, and some of its believable, the absolute LOLLY at us for paying Moore £35k a week and any if these chances £20k or more.

Even some in the teens would be well over paid.

EDIT: Just to be clear we could play this team next season

Cabral
Yiadom, Morrison, McIntyre, Richards
Rino, Olise
Meite, Ejaria, Obita
Joao

For 71.15k a week, versus this season a not unrealistic line up of

Cabral
Gunter, Miazga, Moore, Obita
Pele, Swift
Meite, Ejaria, Baldock
Joao

For 205k a week. And not a great deal difference in quality.

Mind you, that's saying Danny Loader is on 675 vs East on 2k, Smith similar, Olise 2.5k. I can't see any possibility Loader is on less than any of them.

So I guess a lot of those figures are pure fairy tale.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jul 2020 00:53

Snowflake Royal
Mind you, that's saying Danny Loader is on 675 vs East on 2k, Smith similar, Olise 2.5k. I can't see any possibility Loader is on less than any of them.

Yeah, I'd say there's 90% guesswork in there. For instance, it was reasonably well reported that Mannone was our most expensive player - but he certainly isn't in those figures. And, as you point out, Danny Loader's salary looks like nonsense in comparison to Olise.

For me, the worst thing about our squad isn't individual salaries, it's the number of players we have. And part of that is this idea that if the team is failing, we need a brand new set of players, with old ones still on the books.
Whereas, frankly, what we need is management to deal with the players we've got. Unless we set player contracts to 9 months, to match the average length of time we give managers these days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2020 08:49

If it is true it's no wonder we have problems.

If I was Morrison, Rinomhota or Yiadom I'd be furious I was earning such a huge amount less than Moore, Swift and Gunter despite being as good or better than them.

And even worse when you look at what the likes of Aluko are stealing despite being utter shit.

Does anyone think we couldn't get a defender of Moore's quality for half the wage? Or that Gunter, Baldock, Swift and Mannone represent good value?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jul 2020 09:00

Snowflake Royal If that's true, and some of its believable, the absolute LOLLY at us for paying Moore £35k a week and any if these chances £20k or more.

Cabral
Rino, Olise
Meite, Ejaria, Obita
Joao

Cabral
Pele, Swift
Meite, Ejaria, Baldock
Joao

Yep I get that but would say two things. We can barely afford any drop in quality next season as it would put us in a relegation battle. Second. That starting 11 you have listed is fine but if we have too much of a clear out we will be very reliant on those players not being injured. Joao, Richards, Obita and to an extent McIntyre do or have spent a fair amount of time out injured.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jul 2020 09:49

muirinho
Snowflake Royal

Yeah, I'd say there's 90% guesswork in there. For instance, it was reasonably well reported that Mannone was our most expensive player - but he certainly isn't in those figures. And, as you point out, Danny Loader's salary looks like nonsense in comparison to Olise.

For me, the worst thing about our squad isn't individual salaries, it's the number of players we have. And part of that is this idea that if the team is failing, we need a brand new set of players, with old ones still on the books.
Whereas, frankly, what we need is management to deal with the players we've got. Unless we set player contracts to 9 months, to match the average length of time we give managers these days.

Well said. It’s crazy to have a squad bigger than you need, as you say to make loads of changes just when things aren’t going right. Have a team you believe in, manage it well and have a bit of strength in depth to make the odd change or to cover for injuries etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2020 09:49

Zip
Snowflake Royal If that's true, and some of its believable, the absolute LOLLY at us for paying Moore £35k a week and any if these chances £20k or more.

Cabral
Rino, Olise
Meite, Ejaria, Obita
Joao

Cabral
Pele, Swift
Meite, Ejaria, Baldock
Joao

Yep I get that but would say two things. We can barely afford any drop in quality next season as it would put us in a relegation battle. Second. That starting 11 you have listed is fine but if we have too much of a clear out we will be very reliant on those players not being injured. Joao, Richards, Obita and to an extent McIntyre do or have spent a fair amount of time out injured.

We could easily do fine with 'lesser' players as long as they're an actual team. And if there's anything in that salary stuff, we could sell Moore, Swift and Baldock for a combined £8m (fairly cheap)and have freed up enough wages to sign and pay 4 quality players £16k a week and still cut the wage bill by about £13k a week.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jul 2020 10:38

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Cabral
Rino, Olise
Meite, Ejaria, Obita
Joao

Cabral
Pele, Swift
Meite, Ejaria, Baldock
Joao

We could easily do fine with 'lesser' players as long as they're an actual team. And if there's anything in that salary stuff, we could sell Moore, Swift and Baldock for a combined £8m (fairly cheap)and have freed up enough wages to sign and pay 4 quality players £16k a week and still cut the wage bill by about £13k a week.

We really do need Bowen to have a definitive style of play in mind for next season with players bought in that will be suited to it. This happened in Stam’s first season where the incomings were a success overall. It just hasn’t happened since. I presume Howe will be in charge of the transfer policy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2020 11:01

I'd really like the manager to be in charge of transfer policy with Howe setting him a budget and someone who knows football and players negotiating the deals and signing off each player is good value.

I think divorcing managers from the financials has led so many of them to be totally clueless and have no appreciation for club's financial states. They just scream for more and more money. You get the likes of Stam and Rodgers doing a shit job and expecting an endless stream of massive amounts of cash to put their shit right without learning any lessons.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jul 2020 11:19

Snowflake Royal I'd really like the manager to be in charge of transfer policy with Howe setting him a budget and someone who knows football and players negotiating the deals and signing off each player is good value.

I think divorcing managers from the financials has led so many of them to be totally clueless and have no appreciation for club's financial states. They just scream for more and more money. You get the likes of Stam and Rodgers doing a shit job and expecting an endless stream of massive amounts of cash to put their shit right without learning any lessons.

Yes agreed to that.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Jul 2020 11:24

linkenholtroyal https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleaguefc.com/reading-fc-2019-20-player-wages/

I know this is to be taken with a pinch of salt but above is a link to the wages of our players put together from various sources. Interesting that if every player leaves that is out of contract out our weekly wage drops from 420k per week to approx 280k per week. That is a massive drop in running cost. I think there is going to be a lot of bargains and good free agents floating around this year and with the exception of Obita all the rest is good riddance or a good servant but there time has come.

No wonder Loader went! He must have felt unwanted at the amount he was paid, compared to the rest of the squad.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 04 Jul 2020 11:44

Wigan scandal could be a wake up call for Reading. Similar income/ expenditure problems. Same type of overseas investor, same quiet owners not involving locals and supporters. Same leakage of talent. Only difference is Wigan are recent top performers. Our lot are still playing template stuff with no indication they want to fight for the supporters.

Instead of looking at overpriced, overrated, targets why not do a bit more in the lower divisions, shit we may even be there next season? Let’s get realistic. 12000 crowds on average.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jul 2020 17:54

quickwingerswife Wigan scandal could be a wake up call for Reading. Similar income/ expenditure problems. Same type of overseas investor, same quiet owners not involving locals and supporters. Same leakage of talent. Only difference is Wigan are recent top performers. Our lot are still playing template stuff with no indication they want to fight for the supporters.

Instead of looking at overpriced, overrated, targets why not do a bit more in the lower divisions, shit we may even be there next season? Let’s get realistic. 12000 crowds on average.

We have to be wary but you cannot compare our owners to Wigan. They've owned us more than 4 weeks for a start.

Also, yes the average attendance has dropped but the one thing about Reading fans, if we start winning regularly at home and fans are allowed in, the crowds will climb quickly.

Anyway, 12k might be capacity next season.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Jul 2020 14:21

Pretty sure the only contract loader signed with us was his first pro deal at 17, I'd be surprised if he was on much more than that.
All the other academy players have signed new deals when closer to or in the first team.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 08 Jul 2020 12:23

linkenholtroyal https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleaguefc.com/reading-fc-2019-20-player-wages/

There are four or five entries on that list that don’t make sense:Aluko £15k,I always thought his salary was of a crippling amount,£40 k plus ?Also comparing Yids salary with Obita ?Although TBF Barnsley aren’t great payers.I would have thought Yids wouldn’t be happy to discover Gunts is on almost three times as much as him.Very strange.Mannone £20k !.Look at that list and you realise how much damage Gourlay did to our finances.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Jul 2020 14:44

i can confirm 100% that moore is on 35K, he is our highest paid player, mannone was our second highest at 30, mannone was the highest paid player up untill moore signed his new contract

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2020 14:48

WoodleyRoyal i can confirm 100% that moore is on 35K, he is our highest paid player, mannone was our second highest at 30, mannone was the highest paid player up untill moore signed his new contract

How do you have this info and how do you know its reliable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2020 15:24

not sure how accurate that all is, but even if its close to true, Howe will be licking his lips at how much he is going to be reducing the wage bill by this summer

217 posts