Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

217 posts
hughsies no.1

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by hughsies no.1 » 25 Jul 2020 18:07

I feel all the confirmed departures so far are the correct decision, although it is a shame to lose Obita based on his tenure at the club.

Gunter/ McCleary - writing has been on the wall for a while, both great servants for the club and given their all (despite some rough times that were well documented). Decision to let Teddy Howe go to Blackpool now looks an odd decision as we are short at RB. Yiadom by far our best RB.

Obita - brilliant for him to come back after his horrific injury and great the club stuck with him. Second choice LB behind Richards, would have been nice for him to stay but now time for Richards to nail that position as his own. Will never forget Obita goal at Fulham and great that he came through the ranks.

Adam - based on Bowen comments about wanting a young energetic team I guess that was that for Adam. He was part of our best run of the season over Christmas and I did find it strange when he was dropped out the side after that run. His goal at Fulham too was also probably the highlight!

Blackett - mixed time at the club, did show glimpses this season when he came into the team, but far too inconsistent and clearly wanted out

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2020 18:22

hughsies no.1 Gunter/ McCleary - writing has been on the wall for a while, both great servants for the club and given their all (despite some rough times that were well documented). Decision to let Teddy Howe go to Blackpool now looks an odd decision as we are short at RB. Yiadom by far our best RB.

At the moment yes, but perhaps Osho may turn out better (presuming he opts to sign his new deal of course). All of which, I think, means the end for Watson and no idea why Araruna was signed.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jul 2020 19:19

Sutekh
hughsies no.1 Gunter/ McCleary - writing has been on the wall for a while, both great servants for the club and given their all (despite some rough times that were well documented). Decision to let Teddy Howe go to Blackpool now looks an odd decision as we are short at RB. Yiadom by far our best RB.

At the moment yes, but perhaps Osho may turn out better (presuming he opts to sign his new deal of course). All of which, I think, means the end for Watson and no idea why Araruna was signed.

There is utility there Aruruna can cover dcm and Osho covers CB how to make a smaller club is to have more players who can cover more positions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2020 19:53

linkenholtroyal
Sutekh

There is utility there Aruruna can cover dcm and Osho covers CB how to make a smaller club is to have more players who can cover more positions.

He's supposed to be able to cover defensive midfield. I've seen nothing to suggest he's even remotely up to it though, and you've got to ask about Bowen's opinion of him given we've just spent the last three or four games playing centrebacks in midfield at times over giving him a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jul 2020 20:16

hughsies no.1 I feel all the confirmed departures so far are the correct decision, although it is a shame to lose Obita based on his tenure at the club.

Gunter/ McCleary - writing has been on the wall for a while, both great servants for the club and given their all (despite some rough times that were well documented). Decision to let Teddy Howe go to Blackpool now looks an odd decision as we are short at RB. Yiadom by far our best RB.

Obita - brilliant for him to come back after his horrific injury and great the club stuck with him. Second choice LB behind Richards, would have been nice for him to stay but now time for Richards to nail that position as his own. Will never forget Obita goal at Fulham and great that he came through the ranks.

Adam - based on Bowen comments about wanting a young energetic team I guess that was that for Adam. He was part of our best run of the season over Christmas and I did find it strange when he was dropped out the side after that run. His goal at Fulham too was also probably the highlight!

Blackett - mixed time at the club, did show glimpses this season when he came into the team, but far too inconsistent and clearly wanted out

If you were at Millwall away, you’ll know why he was dropped. Was really, really bad that day.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jul 2020 22:16

Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal
Sutekh

He's supposed to be able to cover defensive midfield. I've seen nothing to suggest he's even remotely up to it though, and you've got to ask about Bowen's opinion of him given we've just spent the last three or four games playing centrebacks in midfield at times over giving him a chance.

I didn’t say they were good in that position just that they could play there if needed. To be honest I can see 3 or 4 more players who are utility players at the club who cover the gap from the 1st team. Not recognised like for like when we have injuries. Ijust hope they don’t do the same up front. We need 2 wingers Or 2 wing backs to come in not players like Meite or Ovie who could play wide. There position is playing off the main striker and they can’t cross for toffee.

Will be interesting to see which route we go down next year if we play 5-3-2 we need some proper wing backs to bomb forward and cross or if we play 4-1-2-3-1 which I think is the formation we tried to do we need wingers to complement the front man. I assume our recruitment will tell us over the next few weeks. Currently we have a very defensive central playing squad.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 25 Jul 2020 22:35

Hendo
hughsies no.1 I feel all the confirmed departures so far are the correct decision, although it is a shame to lose Obita based on his tenure at the club.

If you were at Millwall away, you’ll know why he was dropped. Was really, really bad that day.

Agreed, I was Millwall and he was bad - might have been due to the frequency of games over Christmas or maybe Millwall realising he was the player making us play in front of the back four so pressed him hard.

Interesting to see his reply tweet to @talkreading “8 starts in championship 4 wins 3 draws 1 defeat”

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jul 2020 23:43

Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal
Sutekh

Believe he had a knock which is why he only appeared in the squad against Blackburn

Don’t recall Araruna making an appearance in CM, only remember him playing against Hull (at RWB/RB) and against Wigan (at RM). I guess that in itself does speak volumes though

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jul 2020 23:44

linkenholtroyal
Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal There is utility there Aruruna can cover dcm and Osho covers CB how to make a smaller club is to have more players who can cover more positions.

I didn’t say they were good in that position just that they could play there if needed. To be honest I can see 3 or 4 more players who are utility players at the club who cover the gap from the 1st team. Not recognised like for like when we have injuries. Ijust hope they don’t do the same up front. We need 2 wingers Or 2 wing backs to come in not players like Meite or Ovie who could play wide. There position is playing off the main striker and they can’t cross for toffee.

Will be interesting to see which route we go down next year if we play 5-3-2 we need some proper wing backs to bomb forward and cross or if we play 4-1-2-3-1 which I think is the formation we tried to do we need wingers to complement the front man. I assume our recruitment will tell us over the next few weeks. Currently we have a very defensive central playing squad.

Reckon we'll be in big trouble if we try that formation.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jul 2020 23:45

Hendo

Not many were great that day though to be fair, Millwall away is always a really tough fixture so I’m surprised he was dropped so quickly after that

I guess his chance of working his way back into Bowen’s plans didn’t help though a few weeks later when he was given a start against Cardiff in the cup, played pretty poorly, gave the ball away for the first goal and was subsequently subbed off at half time

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2020 15:00

Watson, Walker, Smith and East are all rumoured to be “available” with Smith attracting the interest of Wimbledon.

In addition McNulty is rumoured to be attracting interest from Gillingham.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2020 12:48

Sutekh Watson, Walker, Smith and East are all rumoured to be “available” with Smith attracting the interest of Wimbledon.

How much we set to lose on McNulty do we think?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2020 13:49

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh Watson, Walker, Smith and East are all rumoured to be “available” with Smith attracting the interest of Wimbledon.

You think we need to pay them to take him? He's not Aluko ffs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2020 15:28

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Nah. Just his initial fee was like 1.5 million right? No way we recoup that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Sep 2020 17:09

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth How much we set to lose on McNulty do we think?

Doesn't matter - we've already accounted for his fee so we're not 'adding' to the losses even if we give him a free

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2020 17:58

Franchise FC
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal You think we need to pay them to take him? He's not Aluko ffs.

Doesn't matter - we've already accounted for his fee so we're not 'adding' to the losses even if we give him a free

It is a legitimate enough measure for the success of a signing to see how much more or less that player is sold for in the future.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Sep 2020 09:37

not sure - in the covid world he'll go for far less. Don't think anyone would have to pay a lot to take him off our hands

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Sep 2020 09:49

Hound not sure - in the covid world he'll go for far less. Don't think anyone would have to pay a lot to take him off our hands

I reckon even in a Covid free world we would have struggled to recoup half the fee we paid.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Sep 2020 13:16

Mr McNulty is now being linked with a loan move to Dundee United (isn’t that where Charlie went or was that Dundee?).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Sep 2020 13:38

If Smith was attracting Wimbledon interest and we want to bring in PIggott - would seem to be a deal there that suits all parties.

217 posts