Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Hound » 03 Jul 2020 09:24

I think Swift would be fine at Sheff U or Leeds

He is lower-prem quality imo, no doubts about it. His fitness has improved massively this year. I'm not really on board with the 'he is the same as Ejaria and Olise'. He is a much more rounded player at this point in time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 10:33

Hound I think Swift would be fine at Sheff U or Leeds

He is lower-prem quality imo, no doubts about it. His fitness has improved massively this year. I'm not really on board with the 'he is the same as Ejaria and Olise'. He is a much more rounded player at this point in time.

Agree on rounded, his stamina is fine, but I just don't think he can cover the ground at the pace they play.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 10:57

Yeah £5m would be disappointing after the sorts of fees Hammond used to get but in the current climate might be the best we can get.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jul 2020 11:03

SCIAG Yeah £5m would be disappointing after the sorts of fees Hammond used to get but in the current climate might be the best we can get.

Hammond was a genius. £500k for Hughes. £3m for post-ACL Sonko. How much did we get for Blackman off the back of a 10 game purple patch?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 11:05

Was it £5.5m for Matt Mills as well?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2020 11:09

WestYorksRoyal
SCIAG Yeah £5m would be disappointing after the sorts of fees Hammond used to get but in the current climate might be the best we can get.

Hammond was a genius. £500k for Hughes. £3m for post-ACL Sonko. How much did we get for Blackman off the back of a 10 game purple patch?

It was £3.1m wasn’t it?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jul 2020 13:35

Snowflake Royal

Agree on rounded, his stamina is fine, but I just don't think he can cover the ground at the pace they play.

Norwood lacks pace. Yet is perfectly adequate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 13:41

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

I think Norwood can cover a lot more ground than Swift can and whilst he isn't pacey I reckon he's got better acceleration than Swift.

Norwood's just a cut above him in basically every way.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jul 2020 14:21

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Agree on rounded, his stamina is fine, but I just don't think he can cover the ground at the pace they play.

I think Norwood can cover a lot more ground than Swift can and whilst he isn't pacey I reckon he's got better acceleration than Swift.

Yeah - he also plays, I think, in a role that means he has the space to see the pitch and distribute the ball. Swift could do a similar thing, Leeds are another matter altogether. Unless RFC's training and conditioning is 3rd rate he'd absolutely die on his arse at Leeds.

A kind of Kitson at Stoke situation (square peg - very un square hole)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 14:47

I remembered earlier that John Fleck has been a success at United so upon reflection I think Swift would be fine there.

Think Norwood is under less pressure to run as he’s their answer to Pirlo or Carrick. But I’ve never thought of Swift as particularly slow - he just isn’t very “busy”.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jul 2020 14:48

leon
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Yeah - he also plays, I think, in a role that means he has the space to see the pitch and distribute the ball. Swift could do a similar thing, Leeds are another matter altogether. Unless RFC's training and conditioning is 3rd rate he'd absolutely die on his arse at Leeds.

A kind of Kitson at Stoke situation (square peg - very un square hole)

dunno. Dont see Pablo hernandez or even Kalvin Phillips running that much. Assume he'd be a replacement for Hernandez

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jul 2020 16:34

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
SCIAG I don’t think either of the touted moves would be good for him and the fees being talked about are derisory.

Swift is three times the player that Sawyers is - literally. In 126 matches for Brentford Sawyers scored six goals. In 127 games for us Swift has scored 18 goals. In 27 games for Brentford Swift scored 7 goals. You couldn’t get a better illustration of the gulf in quality between them. Sawyers is an Ejaria level player.

So if Sawyers and Ejaria are worth ~£3m then we should be asking for ~£9m for Swift.

If Swift was worth £9m pre-Covid, he’s worth £6m now I reckon. Still a lot more than the £3.5m but I reckon £5m would do it

Yeah, hope for £9m but £5m would be ok.

He's got an injury history afterall.

He’s been fit throughout this season and managed a good number of games in the previous three seasons so his injury history is pretty good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 18:14

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
If Swift was worth £9m pre-Covid, he’s worth £6m now I reckon. Still a lot more than the £3.5m but I reckon £5m would do it

Yeah, hope for £9m but £5m would be ok.

He's got an injury history afterall.

He’s been fit throughout this season and managed a good number of games in the previous three seasons so his injury history is pretty good.

That hamstring(?) Injury really oxf*rd him up though. Niggles for a while and he had to learn how to change how he runs. And he's certainly not looked as spritely since to me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jul 2020 10:06

On the verge of completing move to Sheff United for £3.5m :|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jul 2020 10:07

Fcuking shambles if he goes for anything less than £5m. And even that would be a joke.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:11

Poor price. We must really be desperate.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:16

Swift turns up once in 10 games, he isn't anywhere near consistent enough to go for a huge fee. Either way it is great to get him off the wage bill.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jul 2020 10:19

Would be disappointed if that was the final figure.

But if it is £3.5m upfront with, lets say another £1.5m in instalments over 2 years and sell on %, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 10:19

3/4s of a good season in three years. Hollywood player who slows us down and too often disappoints.

We need to cut the wage bill and bring in some money. And he's got to be one of the more expensive players. Too many players in his position at the club.

£3.5m is the bottom end of acceptable, but in the current climate it's tolerable.

He's no Norwood that's for damn sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:22

Hendo Would be disappointed if that was the final figure.

But if it is £3.5m upfront with, lets say another £1.5m in instalments over 2 years and sell on %, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

yeah, suspect there will be some sort of add ons. 5-6m all in seems about right

I'm a big fan but he hasnt been too good since the lockdown. It will save us a ton in wages and put a bit of money in the bank.

Its the right time in his career for him to go, so good luck to him

432 posts