Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Nameless » 28 Jul 2020 13:30

Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal Yeah, you can't bid anything up if you already accepted the first offer.

A lower or higher offer might be more appealing to a club depending on the basic/add on split, how the add on's are achieved, what else may come from dealing with a particular club etc

I suspect a cash up front off of say £3 million would Trump a £3.5 million offer paid over 3 years...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Jul 2020 13:46

Nameless
Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal Yeah, you can't bid anything up if you already accepted the first offer.

A lower or higher offer might be more appealing to a club depending on the basic/add on split, how the add on's are achieved, what else may come from dealing with a particular club etc

I suspect a cash up front off of say £3 million would Trump a £3.5 million offer paid over 3 years...

Agree. There are all sorts of reasons why a seemingly lower value offer would actually be more tempting to the selling club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jul 2020 13:50

Winston Biscuit
Nameless
Winston Biscuit

Agree. There are all sorts of reasons why a seemingly lower value offer would actually be more tempting to the selling club.

Brown envelopes seem to be important factors....

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Jul 2020 13:18

6M upfront for Swift sounds a lot more like it. Hopefully the interest from 3 clubs can push this up even further.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 03 Aug 2020 09:06

Well if they’re prepared to spend £10m on Cash, they should be spending at least that on Swift

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Aug 2020 10:35

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
Old Man Andrews I would take Che Adams plus £8m for Swift. Adams can do it in the Championship.

Absolutely. Goals in the Championship are the hardest and most important thing to come, it's why clubs always used to sign Kevin Phillips for a promotion campaign.

But sure, Ross McCormack is the highest scoring championship player and he has never been promoted. Goals may be important but never should be valued above the team. Swift makes this team work.

To what end though? Our average finishing position since he’s been here has been 14th. Just because he’s one of the better performers In THIS team doesn’t mean we couldn’t perform overall better with different players in a different style.

I wouldn’t be sorry to see Swift go one bit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Aug 2020 10:53

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Absolutely. Goals in the Championship are the hardest and most important thing to come, it's why clubs always used to sign Kevin Phillips for a promotion campaign.

But sure, Ross McCormack is the highest scoring championship player and he has never been promoted. Goals may be important but never should be valued above the team. Swift makes this team work.

To what end though? Our average finishing position since he’s been here has been 14th. Just because he’s one of the better performers In THIS team doesn’t mean we couldn’t perform overall better with different players in a different style.

I wouldn’t be sorry to see Swift go one bit.

Torn on it. He has been part of the problem but is also part of the solution. He is the one player we have who can create something out of nothing on a regular basis. Yet he is also guilty in our failing to move the ball forward quickly enough on so many occasions.

I’m sure he will be going though and I still think £6 million is on the light side although if transfer fees are going to do down because of the pandemic then it’s not a bad outcome.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 03 Aug 2020 11:09

So on the one hand Howe is saying we need to sell. On the other, Dadi Yongee won’t sell Swift. Which is it?!

I think Howe has no power at all in all of this, but it’s concerning.

Let Swift go, he’s earned his move

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Aug 2020 11:45

Notts Royal So on the one hand Howe is saying we need to sell. On the other, Dadi Yongee won’t sell Swift. Which is it?!

I think Howe has no power at all in all of this, but it’s concerning.

Let Swift go, he’s earned his move

I was going to say this. Very mixed messages. I think the owners are not properly involved with decisions and come in at the 11th hour. We've seen it with Moore, Meite and Loader. I'm sure Howe would like to sell Swift given the situation, and he is the one talking to fans.

The owners either need to delegate properly and trust Howe to run the club, or be involved in these decisions and the messaging from the start. I think they have good intentions, but just seem a bit clueless. If we pull the plug on a £5m+ deal for Swift, we need to find another way to plug the FFP gap. What is that going to be?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Aug 2020 12:02

I hope the owner intervention is limited to saying "No he can't go for £3.5m, we can get more than that" which would be fair, I'd be concerned if they genuinely think we can just keep hold of our most talented players amid Premier League interest, it just upsets the player who can see the bigger move, bigger wages on the table and you potentially end up in a situation like with Moore where we've now given him a wage he arguably doesn't justify.

For a club our size, Brentford are the perfect model of how a club should be run, it doesn't necessarily mean buying cheap. selling high but the fees paid out for players never goes above what most would consider moderate, looking at £5m being the upper end.

We have the added caveat of having pumped a lot of money into improving our youth facilities but at the same time we haven't been utilising them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2020 12:15

No one in our team has performed consistently enough, or to a high enough standard that they're worth refusing multi-million pound offers for.

Not. A. One.

Take Swift. Significant previous injury problems. One particularly good season of goals and assists. Highly creative but also part of the problem of slow play and general malaise.

If you refuse a player a big move you risk getting poor performances out them by pissing them off. A way to avoid that is to bump their wages and or give them the captaincy.

Well we can't bump anyone's wages given we have to slash the wage budget. And other teams know we have to make cuts so we can't play hardball.

This screams of owners who don't pay attention enough to know the real issues at the club and have loads of cash so don't appreciate the consequences. It's like selling someone for millions is simultaneously pocket change to them and a snub to their status symbol.

At least one of Moore and Swift have to go this summer really. Id prefer it was Moore if it's one or the other, but both is probably preferable financially.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Aug 2020 12:19

tidus_mi2 I hope the owner intervention is limited to saying "No he can't go for £3.5m, we can get more than that" which would be fair, I'd be concerned if they genuinely think we can just keep hold of our most talented players amid Premier League interest, it just upsets the player who can see the bigger move, bigger wages on the table and you potentially end up in a situation like with Moore where we've now given him a wage he arguably doesn't justify.

For a club our size, Brentford are the perfect model of how a club should be run, it doesn't necessarily mean buying cheap. selling high but the fees paid out for players never goes above what most would consider moderate, looking at £5m being the upper end.

We have the added caveat of having pumped a lot of money into improving our youth facilities but at the same time we haven't been utilising them.

I mean, pulling the plug on £10m for Moore and putting him on £35k p/w for 4 years doesn't inspire confidence. Maybe they've learnt, maybe they haven't.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 03 Aug 2020 12:23

WestYorksRoyal
tidus_mi2 I hope the owner intervention is limited to saying "No he can't go for £3.5m, we can get more than that" which would be fair, I'd be concerned if they genuinely think we can just keep hold of our most talented players amid Premier League interest, it just upsets the player who can see the bigger move, bigger wages on the table and you potentially end up in a situation like with Moore where we've now given him a wage he arguably doesn't justify.

I mean, pulling the plug on £10m for Moore and putting him on £35k p/w for 4 years doesn't inspire confidence. Maybe they've learnt, maybe they haven't.

We'll struggle to give Moore away if it's true he's on that kind of money, how many clubs will be willing to pay £35kpw for someone who finished the season as backup to a 21 yr old in a bottom half championship team?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Aug 2020 12:32

Snowflake Royal No one in our team has performed consistently enough, or to a high enough standard that they're worth refusing multi-million pound offers for.

Not. A. One.

Take Swift. Significant previous injury problems. One particularly good season of goals and assists. Highly creative but also part of the problem of slow play and general malaise.

If you refuse a player a big move you risk getting poor performances out them by pissing them off. A way to avoid that is to bump their wages and or give them the captaincy.

Well we can't bump anyone's wages given we have to slash the wage budget. And other teams know we have to make cuts so we can't play hardball.

This screams of owners who don't pay attention enough to know the real issues at the club and have loads of cash so don't appreciate the consequences. It's like selling someone for millions is simultaneously pocket change to them and a snub to their status symbol.

At least one of Moore and Swift have to go this summer really. Id prefer it was Moore if it's one or the other, but both is probably preferable financially.

I think part of the problem is that the club sees similar ilk players go for a ridiculous fee and then they use that figure as the benchmark even though its massively inflated

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2020 12:39

I think that's true of the fans. I'm not so sure it's really true for the owners.

Wasn't their response to Moore no at any price, rather than yes at twice the price so to speak.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 03 Aug 2020 13:08

WestYorksRoyal

Exactly...yet they still seemingly hold a good reputation with the fanbase which baffles me!

As Snowflake has said, there’s not 1 player we currently have that is indispensable. We have some good players but not a Gylfi or a Long at the mo.

It backfired with Loader...keeping him for a year contributed in not gaining an extra £3m and a very poor return on the pitch. Moore we’ve lost out on about £10m. It’s just pure stupidity.

Meite you have to say has carried on & performed.

Hopefully it’s just a ploy to ramp up the price...but any offers over £6m should be accepted IMO

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Aug 2020 13:14

Notts Royal
WestYorksRoyal

Exactly...yet they still seemingly hold a good reputation with the fanbase which baffles me!

As Snowflake has said, there’s not 1 player we currently have that is indispensable. We have some good players but not a Gylfi or a Long at the mo.

It backfired with Loader...keeping him for a year contributed in not gaining an extra £3m and a very poor return on the pitch. Moore we’ve lost out on about £10m. It’s just pure stupidity.

Meite you have to say has carried on & performed.

Hopefully it’s just a ploy to ramp up the price...but any offers over £6m should be accepted IMO

They are well intentioned owners though. They back managers financially, they have invested in training facilities, they sponsored away travel for fans. Sadly, they're clearly just clueless on how to run a club. Get a good DoF in, leave it to him and Howe and we could be very well set.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2020 13:22

Snowflake Royal No one in our team has performed consistently enough, or to a high enough standard that they're worth refusing multi-million pound offers for.

Not. A. One.

Agree with some of that, but we have one playerI would pretty much refuse any offers for and that is Olise. multi million is obviously onethoseterms that means very little but I’d not take £10 million for Olise, and probably resist anything above that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Aug 2020 13:35

Snowflake Royal I think that's true of the fans. I'm not so sure it's really true for the owners.

Wasn't their response to Moore no at any price, rather than yes at twice the price so to speak.

Don’t remember exactly the season that was their response but IIRC it could have been the pre season when we were extremely short of CB’s, and we weren’t too far away from the close of the window, so that would have been a misguided value regardless

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2020 08:44

Notts Royal

And of course we dispensed with both of those two after less than a year of good performances.

Don’t think we should underestimate how reliant we have been on Swift this year. If we lose him then we have to rebalance the squad. It can be done but it is a challenge.

432 posts