Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
One87One

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by One87One » 05 Aug 2020 11:50

£10m+ offers for QPR's mop-haired fella, and Forest's Cash, but at little old Reading we're getting offers of £4m for Swift. Too right we tell them to f**k off. He's worth £7m in today's market.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Aug 2020 11:50

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy £4M is derisory, Sheffield United can oxf*rd right off with that amount. Even with Covid-19 affecting finances we should be holding out for £6M minimum as a guaranteed fee.

We'll unfortunately be seeing other clubs who are aware that we are close with FFP trying to hold us to ransom and hard balling with fees. Watch Leeds offer us £2M for Olise next!

If Leeds offer £8m for Swift and Olise combined.....would you take it?

In a heartbeat.

It looks an OK deal but then when you see Bellingham go to Dortmund which could rise to over £30m, Jack Clarke go to Spurs for £10m, when they are only both just ahead of Olise in terms of development, it creates doubt in your mind

Admittedly, we got it wrong with Loader last year, so it may be a case of not wanting to repeat old mistakes of holding onto young promising player just for them to not reach high enough standards

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 11:56

It's simple for me. We need money in and wages reduced.

No one is essential and beggars can't be choosers. We can't just keep refusing offers. And we can't just point to other players and say we should be getting that amount instead.

Personally, I want Olise to stay. He's got a lot of potential. I'd like him to be tearing it up and first choice by the end of next season. But right now, he isn't as important as the financials.

I'd like Swift to stay too. But I think Ejaria, Swift and Olise is one too many.

Swift has been part of a failing team for years and he's one of the few saleable assets. He's just not all that either.

If you look at players we've refused to sell recently, none of them have gone on to play especially well.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 12:04

I think we hold out for £5m-6m for Swift but Olise we should keep unless we also get an offer of £5m+. I get we need to get our finances in order but part of that is relying on promising young players like Olise and selling our developed stars like Swift.

In a better climate we'd probably get more for Swift but everyone knows our financial situation.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 Aug 2020 12:18

Snowflake Royal It's simple for me. We need money in and wages reduced.

No one is essential and beggars can't be choosers. We can't just keep refusing offers. And we can't just point to other players and say we should be getting that amount instead.

Personally, I want Olise to stay. He's got a lot of potential. I'd like him to be tearing it up and first choice by the end of next season. But right now, he isn't as important as the financials.

I'd like Swift to stay too. But I think Ejaria, Swift and Olise is one too many.

Swift has been part of a failing team for years and he's one of the few saleable assets. He's just not all that either.

If you look at players we've refused to sell recently, none of them have gone on to play especially well.

How much would say £2m for Olise really help us though? He's first choice as things stand so would have to be replaced, he's almost definitely one of if not the lowest paid member of the squad. Once you've got in a £500k replacement from League 1, plus £5k a week and agents fees, you're probably £1m better off over 2 years and more than likely end up with a worse player.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2020 12:29

God some of our fans really lack ambition!

We should not be selling Olise at all unless we get offered £6-7M+ and a fat sell on. The club need money but how the hell are we supposed to bring in the players we need by selling cheap. We aren't about to go into administration, we're selling to meet FFP and if several clubs want a player we should be holding out for more. Olise is on under £1K a week. Selling him is not going to fix our wage bill issue and we should be looking to develop him. We should be trying to offload Swift, Moore and Aluko even if we give Aluko away.

I'd like Ejaria back but we'd be able to replace him. Quality player but frustrating at times. Could be a star. I think if we can rebalance the midfield selling Swift for a reasonable fee of £6M could help us do that.

I swear you want us to go down to league one based on your recent posts.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 05 Aug 2020 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 12:32

Simon's Church

How much would say £2m for Olise really help us though? He's first choice as things stand so would have to be replaced, he's almost definitely one of if not the lowest paid member of the squad. Once you've got in a £500k replacement from League 1, plus £5k a week and agents fees, you're probably £1m better off over 2 years and more than likely end up with a worse player.

You could easily argue we have a ready made replacement in Holsgrove for free and I'm far from convinced Olise really is first choice.

£2m basically covers Moore's salary for a year. So it certainly helps.

As I've said, he's not the player we should be targeting to movex but we can only move on players people want. Refusing him a trip to the PL is likely to see a compensatory contract offer and potentially a disillusioned player who stops trying as hard.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 Aug 2020 12:50

Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church

You could easily argue we have a ready made replacement in Holsgrove for free and I'm far from convinced Olise really is first choice.

As I've said, he's not the player we should be targeting to movex but we can only move on players people want. Refusing him a trip to the PL is likely to see a compensatory contract offer and potentially a disillusioned player who stops trying as hard.

Olise started 11 of the last 14 games of the season, and came on in the other 3, we've since lost Ejaria, McCleary and Obita who were in competition with him.

We'll never get out of the financial mess or be competitive again by selling low paid talented young players for cheap.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 12:51

Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church

Olise started 11 of the last 14 games of the season, and came on in the other 3, we've since lost Ejaria, McCleary and Obita who were in competition with him.

We'll never get out of the financial mess or be competitive again by selling low paid talented young players for cheap.

We're less likely to get out of it by selling no one.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2020 14:07

Which is why we sell but don't take the first offer that comes our way, don't let clubs mug us off.

Focus should be getting rid of the likes of Swift, Moore, Aluko and Baldock + possibly McNulty, the first 4 of which are on £20K a week or more allegedly. Shifting them will knock about £6M a year off the wage bill. If we can get £9-10M in fees too that'd be great. Might allow us some headroom to strengthen our CB, full back and midfield with 4-5 permanent signings on frees/low fees and maybe 1-2 loans

We should be keeping Puscas and Meite. We'd have little chance replacing their goals on the cheap with no strikers in the academy ready to break through. Their wages aren't that high compared to the ones that we should be looking to offload.

Think with a smaller squad, some keeping our quality up front and getting the balance right in midfield should make us solid mid table next season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2020 14:24

I really hope Howe and Bowen take a different approach to the one some are advocating.
We need to maximise what we get from sales, not give players away at less than market value !
Luckily the club know the financial details so should make informed decisions rather than just guessing.
Selling Olise for a fraction of his value makes no sense in business or footballing terms.
Leeds apparantly want to ‘Take advantage’ of what they think is a panic situation. I think we should do the reverse and take advantage of their sudden relative wealth. We add several million to the price tag we put on any player wanted for a newly promoted side who will be desperate to build a squad in the extremely short time available to them.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Aug 2020 17:41

Nameless I really hope Howe and Bowen take a different approach to the one some are advocating.
We need to maximise what we get from sales, not give players away at less than market value !
Luckily the club know the financial details so should make informed decisions rather than just guessing.
Selling Olise for a fraction of his value makes no sense in business or footballing terms.
According to the media who are after a story Leeds apparantly want to ‘Take advantage’ of what they think is a panic situation. I think we should do the reverse and take advantage of their sudden relative wealth. We add several million to the price tag we put on any player wanted for a newly promoted side who will be desperate to build a squad in the extremely short time available to them.

Corrected for all of us

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Aug 2020 20:24

Some kind of tactical analysis on John Swift:

https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/john-s ... is-tactics

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 07 Aug 2020 04:58

morganb Some kind of tactical analysis on John Swift:

https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/john-s ... is-tactics

Reads like a schoolboy wrote it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2020 09:25

Interesting that Sheffield United have £12m to throw at a keeper (that got rejected) but are still offering low amounts for Swift.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2020 12:52

Because nobbers are massively over-estimating Swift's value.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2020 13:14

Snowflake Royal Because nobbers are massively over-estimating Swift's value.

Although the club seem to be more on the same wave length as they are rejecting the offers....

Aren’t Sheff looking to buy a starting keeper so £12 million is hardly earth shaking. Swift would boost their squad but the’s not going to be their main man, so his value to them is that much lower... there is no actual value of a player.
Last edited by Nameless on 07 Aug 2020 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2020 13:14

they've obviously got money to spend. AT some point they must have been given encouragement by someone that an offer in the region of £4m would do the trick

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Aug 2020 14:45

Ramsdale’s been absolutely shocking as well.

Hoping Sheff Utd have 2nd season syndrome as Wilder is a distinctly dislikable chap. Fits in well with the club!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Aug 2020 20:35

Notts Royal Ramsdale’s been absolutely shocking as well.

Hoping Sheff Utd have 2nd season syndrome as Wilder is a distinctly dislikable chap. Fits in well with the club!

I've got a feeling they might with WBA and Fulham going down as well hopefully. Sadly Leeds will survive.
4 mill is taking the p+ss.....especially as they have PL money now.

432 posts