432 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2020 16:22

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Hendo
Totally forgot about him! No goals in 15 Prem games is pretty poor. Especially after bagging 22 last season with Birmingham. Possibly heading on loan to Leeds.

Yeah, Leeds looking for a striker. Nketiah back to Arsenal (wonder if he'll feature tonight for Arsenal against them)

Not sure that'd be the best move for Adams. Bamford is on a good streak of form and Bielsa often seems reluctant to go two up top (hence Nketiah's lack of game time)

Adams possibly one of those too good for the Champ but not Prem level. File under Dwight Gayle

Yeah but Bamford is shite.

He was but he seems to have picked up a little bit of form

10 goals would sort of suggest that...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jan 2020 16:48

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Yeah, Leeds looking for a striker. Nketiah back to Arsenal (wonder if he'll feature tonight for Arsenal against them)

Not sure that'd be the best move for Adams. Bamford is on a good streak of form and Bielsa often seems reluctant to go two up top (hence Nketiah's lack of game time)

Adams possibly one of those too good for the Champ but not Prem level. File under Dwight Gayle

Yeah but Bamford is shite.

He was but he seems to have picked up a little bit of form

10 goals would sort of suggest that...

Bamford being good would signal the end of the world. *sees WWIII is trending* :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2020 21:22

Bamford looks pretty bang average to me, but is benefiting from playing in a pretty creative Leeds side for the last couple of years. They'd be as good as OMA thinks they are if they had a proper good striker.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2020 02:22

I know some aren't a fan of expected goals but it does highlight how well Leeds play and how they arguably are a decent striker short of walking the league.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 07:39

Brizzle bottom and Stoke 4th in that table is interesting

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Jan 2020 09:59

Hound Brizzle bottom and Stoke 4th in that table is interesting

If by interesting you mean "its all bollox and a gimpy attempt at some sort of moneyball" then yeah, agreed

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 11:19

It's always been a bug bear of mine that the club have never been able to cash in on one of our exciting prospects in the past. You could argue that the £7.5 million for Gylfi offered a big injection at the time, but I just feel we have been sold a bit short with other players.

You look at the likes of Southampton selling £90 million worth of players off the back of their promotion with us in 12/13, and Swansea selling Scott Sinclair for £20 million after pipping us to promotion - we just haven't had that opportunity annoyingly and we have had some very tidy prospects on our books at times.

If Swift continues his form he could be the player to buck the trend. If the likes of Bournemouth are paying £15 million for a player with just 30 senior appearances, Swift's recent form and contract situation would allow us to command a fee between £15-20 million I reckon.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 11:32

URZZZZZZZZ if Swift continues his form he could be the player to buck the trend. If the likes of Bournemouth are paying £15 million for a player with just 30 senior appearances, Swift's recent form and contract situation would allow us to command a fee between £15-20 million I reckon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try halving that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 12:31

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ if Swift continues his form he could be the player to buck the trend. If the likes of Bournemouth are paying £15 million for a player with just 30 senior appearances, Swift's recent form and contract situation would allow us to command a fee between £15-20 million I reckon.

Try halving that.
No, don't. Maupay, Webster, Maddison.....top Championship players go for big money these days.

Swift is the heartbeat of our team; we he plays well, we play well. When he was injured, we were poor. If teams aren't prepared to pay that sort of money, we shouldn't even be wasting our breath talking to them.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jan 2020 12:47

The world has changed and top Championship players will command big money moves to the PL. We also have owners with deeper pockets who can hold out for big money. I doubt we will sell Swift at any price as we still have a slim chance of play offs/promotion and so IMO it would take an offer of 20M before our owners would even have a discussion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 12:48

WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews

Try halving that.
No, don't. Maupay, Webster, Maddison.....top Championship players go for big money these days.

Swift is the heartbeat of our team; we he plays well, we play well. When he was injured, we were poor. If teams aren't prepared to pay that sort of money, we shouldn't even be wasting our breath talking to them.

I am being realisitc and thinking from a buying clubs view, not a Reading supporter view. There is no way we would get anymore than £10m for him in the current market. He is light years behind Maddison and Maupay was the top scorer in the league last season which means his fee was rightfully inflated. Swift hasn't done it consistently for long enough to be spoken of as a £20m player, thats a ludicrous figure. The Adam Webster one was interesting, Brighton paid a crazy amount for him.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 12:54

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews

Try halving that.

I am being realisitc and thinking from a buying clubs view, not a Reading supporter view. There is no way we would get anymore than £10m for him in the current market. He is light years behind Maddison and Maupay was the top scorer in the league last season which means his fee was rightfully inflated. Swift hasn't done it consistently for long enough to be spoken of as a £20m player, thats a ludicrous figure. The Adam Webster one was interesting, Brighton paid a crazy amount for him.

He's got over 2 years left on his contract, so we should look from our perspective as the selling club. Is £10m enough to get a an adequate replacement and improve the squad more widely? Given his importance to the side, I'd say no. A potential buyer may not meet our valuation given what you mention. In which case he stays. So long as he is happy here, we hold the cards. If he starts agitating for a move, that's different. I can't see that in January; maybe in the summer it could be different.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 13:04

TM put his value as £4.05 as of October. That would have obviously increased with his recent form. In real terms you must only be looking at about £6m though. Add todays inflated prices and what he would mean to us you're looking at about £10m imo.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-sw ... ler/197693

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 13:06

Old Man Andrews TM put his value as £4.05 as of October. That would have obviously increased with his recent form. In real terms you must only be looking at about £6m though. Add todays inflated prices and what he would mean to us you're looking at about £10m imo.

Probably fair. But we're still better off with Swift than we are with £10m. So my view remains any club must be willing to pay well over the odds.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 13:10

WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews TM put his value as £4.05 as of October. That would have obviously increased with his recent form. In real terms you must only be looking at about £6m though. Add todays inflated prices and what he would mean to us you're looking at about £10m imo.

Probably fair. But we're still better off with Swift than we are with £10m. So my view remains any club must be willing to pay well over the odds.

Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 13:17

WestYorksRoyal

Not a single chance we'd sell him for less than 10m. Leeds sold Spurs that useless winger who couldn't get a game for them for 8, Webster went for 20 and the likes of those Murphy twins went for over 10

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 15:44

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal

Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

M8. Ejaria is joining in the summer already. Lewis Baker would be good but I agree with WYR. We are far better off with Swift than we are with 10 million.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 15:54

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal Probably fair. But we're still better off with Swift than we are with £10m. So my view remains any club must be willing to pay well over the odds.

M8. Ejaria is joining in the summer already. Lewis Baker would be good but I agree with WYR. We are far better off with Swift than we are with 10 million.

The fee is agreed but the terms with the player aren't. If we don't go above and beyond with him then he won't be short of other offers, he could easily play lower end Premier League. We have to compete with those wages.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 15:56

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

The fee is agreed but the terms with the player aren't. If we don't go above and beyond with him then he won't be short of other offers, he could easily play lower end Premier League. We have to compete with those wages.

I get the fear factor and all that but the truth is nobody knows that the contract hasn't been signed and agreed. Ejaria could easily have already signed the deal. Let's not assume the worst especially given Licerpools "good luck in your career" comment. Have faith. Be like George Michael.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 16:18

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth M8. Ejaria is joining in the summer already. Lewis Baker would be good but I agree with WYR. We are far better off with Swift than we are with 10 million.

I get the fear factor and all that but the truth is nobody knows that the contract hasn't been signed and agreed. Ejaria could easily have already signed the deal. Let's not assume the worst especially given Licerpools "good luck in your career" comment. Have faith. Be like George Michael.

careless with a wispa?

432 posts