Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Oct 2020 09:40

I would love to swap places with them this season and just make derisory offers for all their players.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 16 Oct 2020 12:32

tidus_mi2 I would love to swap places with them this season and just make derisory offers for all their players.

Looking possible.

Who in their team would you go for though? I can't think off hand any particular stars. They're more of a well oiled, tight knit group of players, to me at least, rather than out and out ballers who are great.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Oct 2020 13:53

skipper
tidus_mi2 I would love to swap places with them this season and just make derisory offers for all their players.

Looking possible.

Who in their team would you go for though? I can't think off hand any particular stars. They're more of a well oiled, tight knit group of players, to me at least, rather than out and out ballers who are great.

I don't think we should go for any of them, just put insultingly low bids in to annoy them.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Oct 2020 15:06

skipper

Looking possible.

Norwood, Berge, Egan, O’Connell, Stevens, and Ramsdale are all players I’d be interested in, although not necessarily at the same time or in our current system.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Oct 2020 12:46

SCIAG

Looking possible.

Norwood, Berge, Egan, O’Connell, Stevens, and Ramsdale are all players I’d be interested in, although not necessarily at the same time or in our current system.

Well we did have one of them... and the fans weren't entirely on his side during his time here.

tidus_mi2 I don't think we should go for any of them, just put insultingly low bids in to annoy them.

Give it a few months...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2020 13:56

Norwood would be a big upgrade on Swift or Laurent for sure.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 17 Oct 2020 15:57

Snowflake Royal Norwood would be a big upgrade on Swift or Laurent for sure.

Ironically I remember thinking Swift was such an upgrade on Norwood. This was like 8 games into his first season mind...

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Oct 2020 17:31

Debatable. He did very little in his time here.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Oct 2020 10:23

RichTea94

Ironically I remember thinking Swift was such an upgrade on Norwood. This was like 8 games into his first season mind...

Swift (particularly when we first signed him) and Norwood are very different players. Swift is an extremely creative player and a huge offensive threat. Norwood is a defensive midfielder first and foremost with a great passing range who popped up with the occasional screamer, but I think his skill level overshadowed the huge amount of dirty work he quietly did without getting much credit. Swift has a bit of the same problem but not to the same extent.

Both of them are top tier Championship players. Given the choice I’d probably rather have Swift, I think his ability in the final third is more valuable than Norwood’s defensive work.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2020 12:04

Jagermesiter1871

Apart from being one of our best players the two years in a row he was here?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Oct 2020 12:27

URZZZZ
Jagermesiter1871

There's just no point getting into it with anyone who didn't rate Norwood at the time and hasn't changed their mind after watching him leave us well behind in his rear view mirror.

I remember people saying he offered nothing defensively despite him being consistently in the top couple of tacklers and interceptors in the team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2020 14:10

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Jagermesiter1871

There's just no point getting into it with anyone who didn't rate Norwood at the time and hasn't changed their mind after watching him leave us well behind in his rear view mirror.

I remember people saying he offered nothing defensively despite him being consistently in the top couple of tacklers and interceptors in the team.

Was Norwood out of contract when he left Reading or did Brightin offer some ridiculous sum for him as I otherwise cannot fathom how on earth Reading would think that Joey van den Berg/George Evans would have been better options.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2020 14:36

Did Norwood even play that well for Brighton? They were pretty keen to offload as soon as they went up. Seemed he really found his feet at sheff Utd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Oct 2020 17:14

Hound Did Norwood even play that well for Brighton? They were pretty keen to offload as soon as they went up. Seemed he really found his feet at sheff Utd.

Well he was a fairly central part of getting them up, so he can't have been shit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2020 18:31

Snowflake Royal
Hound Did Norwood even play that well for Brighton? They were pretty keen to offload as soon as they went up. Seemed he really found his feet at sheff Utd.

Well he was a fairly central part of getting them up, so he can't have been shit.

Can’t vouch for the accuracy but quick check suggests 16 starts and 17 sub appearances. Seem to remember they brought him on a lot in last 10 to see games out

Was 22(14) for Fulham the season after

Don’t think he did badly as such but wasn’t central and certainly nothing like the impact he had for sheff Utd

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 18 Oct 2020 18:44

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Was Norwood out of contract when he left Reading or did Brightin offer some ridiculous sum for him as I otherwise cannot fathom how on earth Reading would think that Joey van den Berg/George Evans would have been better options.

He signed a 3 year deal when he signed in 2014 so was in the last year of his contract. Maybe what Brighton offered was too good to turn down, maybe he wanted to leave, but was disappointed when he left and he's someone who imo was underrated in his time here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2020 18:48

£3m I think

Was good business at the time. Was undoubtedly a good player but it might have allowed us to bring in Swift and Moore when funds were tight

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2020 18:58

Hound £3m I think

Was good business at the time. Was undoubtedly a good player but it might have allowed us to bring in Swift and Moore when funds were tight

Recall Stam being keen to keep him

Think the biggest issue was Norwood and Williams couldn’t play with each other. Williams best two seasons here were 13/14 and 16/17 (when Norwood wasn’t here) and Norwood’s best run came at the start of 2014/15 (when Williams was injured)

I think we tried to replace what we lost with Norwood with Evans, who never really developed the way we thought he would

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2020 19:00

Yeah agree Norwood and Williams should have worked. It just didn’t.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2020 19:02

Midfield ended up too open with those two

I seem to recall him being in around the squad when we lacked a proper holding midfielder. He worked well with Quinn and Tshibola and I reckon he’d have worked well with Joey

432 posts