Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Aug 2020 16:23

I don't mind Sheff Utd too much either, obviously we had that bit of rivalry in the 05/06 season and began the love-hate relationship with Warnock.

I also love the fact that at one point when we were both in Division 1/The Championship we finished next to eachother 6 seasons in a row starting from 02/03. Obviously specifically worded like that as we had the 2 Premier League seasons where we did not finish next to each other.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2020 17:03

tidus_mi2 I don't mind Sheff Utd too much either, obviously we had that bit of rivalry in the 05/06 season and began the love-hate relationship with Warnock.

I also love the fact that at one point when we were both in Division 1/The Championship we finished next to eachother 6 seasons in a row starting from 02/03. Obviously specifically worded like that as we had the 2 Premier League seasons where we did not finish next to each other.

Surely the Warnock relationship is one of mutual loathing ? Can’t see any love involved from either side....

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Aug 2020 17:08

Nameless
tidus_mi2 I don't mind Sheff Utd too much either, obviously we had that bit of rivalry in the 05/06 season and began the love-hate relationship with Warnock.

Surely the Warnock relationship is one of mutual loathing ? Can’t see any love involved from either side....

I think I was probably misusing the term I used. I was thinking of the idea of loving to hate a person.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Aug 2020 10:47

Rumours Howe and the Dais are on different pages here (BBCRB). Howe open to selling for the right offer and balancing books; Dai wants to keep at all costs. Apparently Swift is unlikely to agitate and hand in request if forced to stay, which seems very possible.

I wonder what it means for FFP. Obviously rules will have to be relaxed due to Covid, but I doubt that'll mean a blank canvas if clubs in our position turn down opportunities to sell on high earners. I ultimately trust Howe more, but the owner calls the shots

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Aug 2020 11:06

WestYorksRoyal Rumours Howe and the Dais are on different pages here (BBCRB). Howe open to selling for the right offer and balancing books; Dai wants to keep at all costs. Apparently Swift is unlikely to agitate and hand in request if forced to stay, which seems very possible.

I wonder what it means for FFP. Obviously rules will have to be relaxed due to Covid, but I doubt that'll mean a blank canvas if clubs in our position turn down opportunities to sell on high earners. I ultimately trust Howe more, but the owner calls the shots

If I was Swift now I’d be 100% handing in a transfer request. Pure stupidity from Dai...if Howe isn’t really going to be trusted, Dai might as well get rid of him. Hoping this doesn’t land us in trouble with FFP

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2020 13:32

Notts Royal
WestYorksRoyal Rumours Howe and the Dais are on different pages here (BBCRB). Howe open to selling for the right offer and balancing books; Dai wants to keep at all costs. Apparently Swift is unlikely to agitate and hand in request if forced to stay, which seems very possible.

If I was Swift now I’d be 100% handing in a transfer request. Pure stupidity from Dai...if Howe isn’t really going to be trusted, Dai might as well get rid of him. Hoping this doesn’t land us in trouble with FFP

This isn’t a surprise. The owners wouldn’t let Moore go when Brighton offered stupid money and then Moore was offered a much improved deal. Presume Reading wouldn’t be able to afford a new, say, 3 year deal for Swift and even if they could I would hazard a guess he’d not want to sign one given the utter dross and non achievement Reading FC has managed in the last 3 years. So to not sell him now means next season (21/22) will be his last, after which JS can walk away for nothing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Aug 2020 14:47

Sutekh
Notts Royal

This isn’t a surprise. The owners wouldn’t let Moore go when Brighton offered stupid money and then Moore was offered a much improved deal. Presume Reading wouldn’t be able to afford a new, say, 3 year deal for Swift and even if they could I would hazard a guess he’d not want to sign one given the utter dross and non achievement Reading FC has managed in the last 3 years. So to not sell him now means next season (21/22) will be his last, after which JS can walk away for nothing.

This is the other point. With 2 years left on this contract, his value effectively depreciates every transfer window from this point, with clubs willing to wait it out until he leaves on a free. See Sanchez and Eriksen for higher profile examples. We'll be seeing offers for £2.5m or so next year.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Aug 2020 16:11

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
Notts Royal

This is the other point. With 2 years left on this contract, his value effectively depreciates every transfer window from this point, with clubs willing to wait it out until he leaves on a free. See Sanchez and Eriksen for higher profile examples. We'll be seeing offers for £2.5m or so next year.

Exactly...we can all see what’s going to happen...
We’ll sell Swift next summer for £2-3m and Olise now for say £3m, when we could get £6m now for Swift, and Olise’s value will likely double/treble next summer

But Dai doesn’t give a toss!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2020 20:08

It seems to be about prestige.

Happy to let go players we don't want, but refuses to accept the 'loss of face' in selling a player on to better things because it's an admission of some sort of weakness. Completely out of touch on the finances.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Aug 2020 21:57

Snowflake Royal It seems to be about prestige.

Happy to let go players we don't want, but refuses to accept the 'loss of face' in selling a player on to better things because it's an admission of some sort of weakness. Completely out of touch on the finances.

That's my interpretation anyway.

You could be right. I mean if you’re at the top fair plays but if you’re finishing bottom half every season you look like an utter fool!

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 17 Aug 2020 23:39

How much did we lose by not selling Loader for stupid money last year was it ? Then he walks away for free. There is so much irrational thinking here. Really hoped Nigel would have sorted this out .....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2020 07:11

fred sharpes nose How much did we lose by not selling Loader for stupid money last year was it ? Then he walks away for free. There is so much irrational thinking here. Really hoped Nigel would have sorted this out .....

Impossible to say, but probably not as much as some might suggest. As I have said before my understanding was the deal was heavily based on performance and sellon and we’d not have got that much upfront. That was why we pulled out, we were being taken for a bit of a ride. Whether we hoped someone else would come in and make a better upfront offer, or whether we thought Loader would sign a new deal I don’t know. We certainly may end up with n3xt to nothing depending on where he ends up which isn’t a good result. I don’t think not selling players cheap is irrational, but certainly we need to be careful not to get into a pattern of losing players for nothing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Aug 2020 08:42

Nameless
fred sharpes nose How much did we lose by not selling Loader for stupid money last year was it ? Then he walks away for free. There is so much irrational thinking here. Really hoped Nigel would have sorted this out .....

Impossible to say, but probably not as much as some might suggest. As I have said before my understanding was the deal was heavily based on performance and sellon and we’d not have got that much upfront. That was why we pulled out, we were being taken for a bit of a ride. Whether we hoped someone else would come in and make a better upfront offer, or whether we thought Loader would sign a new deal I don’t know. We certainly may end up with n3xt to nothing depending on where he ends up which isn’t a good result. I don’t think not selling players cheap is irrational, but certainly we need to be careful not to get into a pattern of losing players for nothing.

Definitely not the £7m quoted. Maybe that was after all possible add ons, like scoring 50 goals, playing for England, winning the PL, making PL team of the year, solving world hunger and defeating ISIS. I imagine base fee was only £1m - £2m. Still bad decision though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2020 09:00

I have nothing against wanting to keep your better players, but sometimes you do just have to sell. Clearly Sheff Utd are the only team interested at the moment and are trying in on 4m for Swift when they are forking out 18m on a keeper for example - would suggest they are don't see Swift as more than a squad player that they can get for a steal.

However, what is a little concerning is what message not letting players go gives to potential signings - a lot of younger players would see a club like us as a stepping stone club - come in, do well for a couple of seasons and move on to a "bigger" club. If it becomes clear that we have owners that won't let that last bit happen, then that may make it harder to sign the sort of players we are agree we need unless we offer silly wages. We are realistically no different to the majority of the Championship clubs but if word gets about in playing circles that you won't be sold except for a silly price if you do well then why choose us over say, QPR or Birmingham?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Aug 2020 11:39

Stranded I have nothing against wanting to keep your better players, but sometimes you do just have to sell. Clearly Sheff Utd are the only team interested at the moment and are trying in on 4m for Swift when they are forking out 18m on a keeper for example - would suggest they are don't see Swift as more than a squad player that they can get for a steal.

However, what is a little concerning is what message not letting players go gives to potential signings - a lot of younger players would see a club like us as a stepping stone club - come in, do well for a couple of seasons and move on to a "bigger" club. If it becomes clear that we have owners that won't let that last bit happen, then that may make it harder to sign the sort of players we are agree we need unless we offer silly wages. We are realistically no different to the majority of the Championship clubs but if word gets about in playing circles that you won't be sold except for a silly price if you do well then why choose us over say, QPR or Birmingham?

I agree. Important we get what we can for swift but as you say i don’t think ‘bigger’ clubs see him as a focal point to their teams and thus are offering what they are.

I also believe if a player wants to leave or you get acceptable offers then you shouldn’t stand in their way.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2020 12:10

SouthDownsRoyal
Stranded I have nothing against wanting to keep your better players, but sometimes you do just have to sell. Clearly Sheff Utd are the only team interested at the moment and are trying in on 4m for Swift when they are forking out 18m on a keeper for example - would suggest they are don't see Swift as more than a squad player that they can get for a steal.

I agree. Important we get what we can for swift but as you say i don’t think ‘bigger’ clubs see him as a focal point to their teams and thus are offering what they are.

I also believe if a player wants to leave or you get acceptable offers then you shouldn’t stand in their way.

Does that work the other way too ?

If a club decides they no longer want a player should that player just go and find another club ?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Aug 2020 12:14

Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal

If a club decides they no longer want a player should that player just go and find another club ?

For a player to be successful surely both the club must want the player and have them in their plans and the player must want to play for the club and be a part of the plans.

It must work both ways if a a club decides it doesn’t want a player then yes look to move the player on

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2020 12:36

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal

For a player to be successful surely both the club must want the player and have them in their plans and the player must want to play for the club and be a part of the plans.

It must work both ways if a a club decides it doesn’t want a player then yes look to move the player on

So Gunter and McLeary should have left last summer ? Or Aluko should pack his bags ?
My point is players and clubs are linked contractually. If it is fine for a player to point to a contract and say I’m going nowhere and you have to keep paying me, then players should also accept they have a contract to play for x years and can’t just decide they fancy a move...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2020 12:44

Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal

Er, yeah. If they want to continue their career and play football.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2020 13:05

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal

Er, yeah. If they want to continue their career and play football.

But people defended Gunter and McLeary’s decision to sit tight and take the money. And should we be able to tell Aluko that he is no longer wanted and should leave ?
It seems that clubs should not ‘stand in the way’ of a player wanting to break their contract but if a club tried to push a contracted player out it might not be seen as acceptable...

432 posts