Rumour - Josh Laurent

173 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Josh Laurent

by Millsy » 21 Jul 2020 11:37

morganb Has anyone bought Josh Laurent for Reading in Football Manager? Perhaps the club should do this with any player they're looking at, so they can see how things pan out.

The trouble is any purchases you make in Football Manager are only valid in the game itself and that applies regardless of who's doing it. The player isn't actually signed or even trialled by the club in real life. It's all just a simulation. So even if Reading FC do it officially, it will still only be valid within Football Manager itself.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jul 2020 13:26

Apparently he can also play at CB if required which certainly suggests he’s a DM primarily.

Never really excelled anywhere from what I can see, been on books at the Wycombe academy, QPR, Hartlepool, Brentford, Wigan. Did look useful in Shrewsbury’s FA Cup run though but that thought is limited to the live game with Liverpool and some extended highlights from earlier rounds.

He’s 25 and made around 150 appearances across all the clubs he’s played for. Averages a goal every 10 games from what I can see. Middlesbrough and Stoke are also both interested but he is a London lad (Leytonstone) so Reading may have a small advantage being presumably near to where his family live.

Famousname-ometer says

Yves Saint Laurent

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jul 2020 14:32

it does seem to have been very much a breakthrough season for him this year - Players player of the year, got some fans player of the year thing as well. Rated well on whoscored

He looks a pretty tall and strong midfielder, playing a similar role to Rino looking at the various youtube vids

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Jul 2020 14:55

Notts Royal
WestYorksRoyal Good move if so. From what I've seen, which admittedly is a single FA Cup match against Liverpool, he seems most akin to Rinomhota. A box to box energetic CM who is decent on the ball.

He's not a replacement for Pele or Swift, both of whom play roles we'll miss.

Would allow us to move back to the 4-4-2 with WINGERS everyone is craving for! 2 box-to-box midfielders...I bet everyone is very excited!

I would like to see a cou0le of good wingers at the club

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2020 17:54

Medical on Tuesday

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 18:20

Exactly the sort of signing we should be making. Young, hungry, cheap, able to improve and on our radar for a long time (not just a punt).

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Jul 2020 19:36

Yes I’d be happy with this one - energetic & box-to-box is what we need. Hopefully it won’t restrict Rino’s game time though.

Good we’ve beat off competition, as long as we’ve not offered a ridiculous wage. I mean, high wages seems to be the only thing attracting players to us right now!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Jul 2020 19:41

A bit of a mixed reaction amongst the Shrewsbury fans but I think that's pretty standard.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 19:41

Absolutely the sort of player we should be after

Obviously he may not work out but I’m confident it will

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2020 19:42

WestYorksRoyal Exactly the sort of signing we should be making. Young, hungry, cheap, able to improve and on our radar for a long time (not just a punt).

I was going to say exactly this. Happy with this signing.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 24 Jul 2020 20:13

Can we make this site a ‘young and hungry‘ cliche free zone? It’s ridiculous.

A) He’s 25
B) Age has practically zero impact on a players mindset
C) Let’s not pretend coming up from a lower division makes you any better of a signing

Peace

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 20:22

PistolPete Can we make this site a ‘young and hungry‘ cliche free zone? It’s ridiculous.

A) He’s 25
C) Let’s not pretend coming up from a lower division makes you any better of a signing

Peace

+1, however lower league player looking to make a step up > a premier league player making a step down...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2020 20:22

PistolPete Can we make this site a ‘young and hungry‘ cliche free zone? It’s ridiculous.

A) He’s 25

Peace

I’d say 25 is pretty young. Our last successful season co-incided with signing the likes of Moore, Blackett, Meite and Swift. All young. It worked. They were all good signings. It was at least a coherent strategy. It has been so random ever since and resulted in our paying huge amounts on “name” players.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 24 Jul 2020 21:56

25 is young-ish, sure. FWIW, I'm massively pro signing 27-and-under but mainly because because they have a re-sale value. But the idea that they're 'hungrier' is a myth.

Also, players coming up from lower leagues is a better strategy? Since when? The only advantage is probably the wages.

I mean, if they're proven to be too good for the league below, then of course don't ignore them, but lets not make it a sure fire strategy?!

Our recent signings are listed below, try to pick a pattern amongst that lot!

The problem for fans is that we have a confirmation bias to the way we think; we BELIEVE players who are young and moving up leagues ought to be hungry and will therefore be successful - when they succeed we attribute it to this hunger, but when they' fail, we look for other reasons as to why. On top of our confirmation bias is our love of the Vardy/Ian Wright style zero to hero romance :D

In truth, for a signing to be successful, the player needs to be a good combination of talented, determined and well managed. Centre backs like Morrison were almost always going to be successful because the centre back role doesn't change much, his ability is proven at this level and his personality was know to be excellent.

I'm old enough to remember one of the few times we bought a player from the league above us who was actually playing, Darren Caskey. He was hungry in a different way, but turned out to be a hell of a signing!

Anyway, the list:

George Puscas
Lucas João
Charlie Adam
Rafael
Michael Morrrison
Pelé
Ovie Ejaria
Felipe Araruna
Matt Miazga
Lucas Boyé
Sone Aluko
Marc McNulty
Modou Barrow
Vito Mannone
Danzell Gravenberch
Adrian Popa
Joey van den Berg
Sam Baldock
David Meyler
Sam Walker
Andy Yiadom
Nélson Oliveiras
Matt Miazga
Lewis Baker
Emiliano Martínez
Saeid Ezatolahi
Andrija Novakovich
Deniss Rakels
Sandro Wieser
Yakou Méïté

I'd say most of the over 30s had something to prove! It really is a nonsense

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Jul 2020 21:59

A) He’s 25

Peace

At 25 will have a degree of maturity and plenty of experience under his belt. Players who aren't the most technically gifted are more inclined to graft and be team players.

Look at Blackett and Ejaria. Both from world class academy set-ups. Yet haven't progressed as you might have expected.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Jul 2020 22:08

Zip

A) He’s 25

Peace

I’d say 25 is pretty young. Our last successful season co-incided with signing the likes of Moore, Blackett, Meite and Swift. All young. It worked. They were all good signings. It was at least a coherent strategy. It has been so random ever since and resulted in our paying huge amounts on “name” players.

Laurent is exactly the same age as Swift is now! Swift was signed when he was 21

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 24 Jul 2020 22:17

Lower West

A) He’s 25

Peace

At 25 will have a degree of maturity and plenty of experience under his belt. Players who aren't the most technically gifted are more inclined to graft and be team players.

Look at Blackett and Ejaria. Both from world class academy set-ups. Yet haven't progressed as you might have expected.

Wait, your proposing we don't buy players from top academies are you? Hmm, not sure that's a theory which will hold up! For a start, our most valuable player came from Chelsea, arguably the best academy in the country!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2020 22:22

Notts Royal
Zip

A) He’s 25

Peace

Laurent is exactly the same age as Swift is now! Swift was signed when he was 21

I know. I still see Swift as being pretty young.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 24 Jul 2020 22:29

Zip

A) He’s 25

Peace

We haven't made it a strategy to buy 'name' players or old players. We had the odd name I suppose, but in fairness, Blackett played 11 times in the league for Manchester United so wasn't exactly unknown. Meite was a cheap (free) punt who needed a loan away from the club to progress and Liam Moore had played 30 times for Leicester in their promotion season. In the seasons since, we've had too many people involved in transfers and too many styles of manager - it's resulted in absolute shit show! :D

But...they were indeed good signings, of a good age. Thiago Illori is the one that didn't work out, I'll never fully understand why.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2020 22:33

PistolPete
Zip

A) He’s 25

Peace

We haven't made it a strategy to buy 'name' players or old players. We had the odd name I suppose, but in fairness, Blackett played 11 times in the league for Manchester United so wasn't exactly unknown. Meite was a cheap (free) punt who needed a loan away from the club to progress and Liam Moore had played 30 times for Leicester in their promotion season. In the seasons since, we've had too many people involved in transfers and too many styles of manager - it's resulted in absolute shit show! :D

But...they were indeed good signings, of a good age. Thiago Illori is the one that didn't work out, I'll never fully understand why.

Illori seemed more suited to the Premier League. The rough and tumble of the Championship just didn’t suit him. What really surprised me was his complete lack of positioning. He made it a habit of being on the wrong side of the player he was marking

173 posts