Pedro Mendes

249 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pedro Mendes

by Zip » 12 Jan 2021 09:31

royalp-we
Zip
Norfolk Royal Looks like we are getting him on loan now. Bit worrying that most of the matches in his YouTube clips seem to be played at something akin to Prospect Park.

Low risk punt. We will probably look to offload Baldock and claw back some of his wages.

A punt indeed. Very low risk. 1 senior goal to his name. I thought we were after promotion?

Again FFP surely. When we were in a similar position under Stam we brought in an experienced striker in Grabban on loan albeit didn’t play him in his best position. Still seems odd how we managed to sign both Joao and Puscas when we were under such tight financial constraints.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Jan 2021 10:03

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Bikey back here as manager one day would be the dream <3

<3 <3

Just checked his wiki-page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Bikey) - he went onto some pretty average clubs after leaving Reading; the one fact that made me smile is that he was signed by Burnley after leaving Reading ... they must have been impressed with his passion shown after the sending off :-)

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 12 Jan 2021 17:46

Royalwaster
Hendo

<3 <3

Just checked his wiki-page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Bikey) - he went onto some pretty average clubs after leaving Reading; the one fact that made me smile is that he was signed by Burnley after leaving Reading ... they must have been impressed with his passion shown after the sending off :-)

His Wiki picture is not flattering at all...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jan 2021 00:05

Making me wonder what a team in Bikey's image and under his control would be like

Dirty Leeds eat your heart out

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2021 13:45

bcubed Making me wonder what a team in Bikey's image and under his control would be like

Dirty Leeds eat your heart out

Might well be in the way as in July he was appointed as assistant manager to our very own Jose Gomes at Almeria.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 13 Jan 2021 19:57

Royalwaster
Hendo

<3 <3

They bought him off of us for £3m as well! £3m back in 2009!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Jan 2021 09:36

Mendes allegedly training at Almeria for the final time today, saying goodbyes I imagine before returning to Lisbon to supposedly head our way.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Jan 2021 14:15

http://sportwitness.co.uk/reading-named ... y-signing/

Not long ago, Pedro Mendes’ transfer to Reading had been reported by the Portuguese media as something very likely for the January transfer window.

With the striker having his loan at Almeria cut short in the middle of the season, he’d return to Sporting and immediately be on his way to the Championship side.

However, the move doesn’t seem that close now, even though the Royals continue to be in the picture.

Newspaper O Jogo brings a short story today reporting that the striker has just arrived back at Sporting and is now waiting for a new move.

When speaking of his future, the outlet writes that Reading ‘are a candidate’, with no more details on how advanced the transfer could be.

Mendes’ move to Reading had previously been reported as ‘well forwarded’ by the Portuguese press, with the Spanish media then claiming the Royals were the ‘best placed’ in the race.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 14 Jan 2021 16:32

Those wanting to fly from Portugal to the UK cant do that anymore now as Portugal is on our ban list unless you have the right to live here so Pedro Mendes might have some difficulty getting here. Athletes don’t get automatic exception, fairly sure England women couldn’t play against Denmark over the travel ban on those from Denmark. May have to self isolate in Spain or somewhere before he gets here unless he can simply travel to Spain and catch a plane from there.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Jan 2021 17:30

He's got until midnight tonight! :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2021 01:50

Zip
Norfolk Royal Looks like we are getting him on loan now. Bit worrying that most of the matches in his YouTube clips seem to be played at something akin to Prospect Park.

Low risk punt. We will probably look to offload Baldock and claw back some of his wages.

Only playing off your comment as there’s no indication it’s true, but I get the impression Baldock is a decent guy off the pitch, intelligent and knowledgeable

Not going to reignite his abilities on the pitch as it’s been done to death on here, but I think all would agree it hasn’t worked out for him or for us

But with only a few months of his contract remaining, us being in a “promotion” race and Baldock having experience of successful promotion teams, IMO, it would be daft to replace him with someone who seems as unequally prolific in front of goal

I do understand he’s on higher wages but reiterate he won’t be around much longer. Could be wrong but not sure the squad is full of players with that experience of being promoted

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2021 08:32

I agree with the love for Baldock. Seems a top guy and I really want him to succeed. Scored some important goals for us, reads the game well and has great acceleration. But this season he's just been really poor and I'd rather pretty much almost anyone else than him. A gamble is always better than someone who's definitely proven not to be able to score in this team, surely.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jan 2021 08:43

URZZZZ
Zip

Only playing off your comment as there’s no indication it’s true, but I get the impression Baldock is a decent guy off the pitch, intelligent and knowledgeable

Not going to reignite his abilities on the pitch as it’s been done to death on here, but I think all would agree it hasn’t worked out for him or for us

But with only a few months of his contract remaining, us being in a “promotion” race and Baldock having experience of successful promotion teams, IMO, it would be daft to replace him with someone who seems as unequally prolific in front of goal

I do understand he’s on higher wages but reiterate he won’t be around much longer. Could be wrong but not sure the squad is full of players with that experience of being promoted

No doubt Baldock is a decent guy and I get what you are saying. I suspect he will go into coaching over the next few years. I just think given our financial restrictions we need to try and get some of his wages off the books if we can. Having said that with Meite and Puscas out and Joao injury prone we may still need him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Jan 2021 08:55

Millsy I agree with the love for Baldock. Seems a top guy and I really want him to succeed. Scored some important goals for us, reads the game well and has great acceleration. But this season he's just been really poor and I'd rather pretty much almost anyone else than him. A gamble is always better than someone who's definitely proven not to be able to score in this team, surely.

I have a proven inability to score and will happily pay £200 a game to be Number 9

(if that helps)

(thinking of FFP)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2021 11:51

Snowball
Millsy I agree with the love for Baldock. Seems a top guy and I really want him to succeed. Scored some important goals for us, reads the game well and has great acceleration. But this season he's just been really poor and I'd rather pretty much almost anyone else than him. A gamble is always better than someone who's definitely proven not to be able to score in this team, surely.

I have a proven inability to score and will happily pay £200 a game to be Number 9

(if that helps)

(thinking of FFP)

Great idea, I hope Pauno is taking note.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Jan 2021 13:21

Millsy
Snowball

(if that helps)

(thinking of FFP)

Great idea, I hope Pauno is taking note.

He's on the phone as we speak.

But I think he thought I meant £200K

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2021 08:01

Can't see any scenario where we get Baldock off the books before his contract expires

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jan 2021 09:04

Snowflake Royal Can't see any scenario where we get Baldock off the books before his contract expires

The only way you do it, I guess, is offer to pay him something like 80% of his remaining salary upfront. But that doesn't achieve a whole lot, granted.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jan 2021 09:11

Hendo
Snowflake Royal Can't see any scenario where we get Baldock off the books before his contract expires

The only way you do it, I guess, is offer to pay him something like 80% of his remaining salary upfront. But that doesn't achieve a whole lot, granted.

It just Leaves Baldock out of pocket.
It might work if another club wanted to take him but on much reduced salary. 80% of his contract and a 50% drop in wages on a 3 year deal,elsewhere might make sense.
If we were paying 80% of his salary we may as well still have him as backup shouldn’t Joao. Real down and Puscas.not be back.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Feb 2021 09:03

Target or not, Pedro Mendes will not join #readingfc.

Loaned to Nacional (division 1) until the end of season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/1pedroventur ... 1166375937

249 posts