Rumour - Olise to Leeds

127 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Olise to Leeds

by morganb » 04 Aug 2020 12:36

https://www.footballinsider247.com/leed ... ign-olise/

Leeds United have set their sights on signing another Reading midfielder this summer in Michael Olise, Football Insider understands.
A Leeds source has told Football Insider that France youth international Olise is also firmly on their radar as they line up a move.
Leeds are keen to exploit the Reading cash crisis following the pandemic as they work on two potential deals.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Olise to Leeds

by Hendo » 04 Aug 2020 12:37

morganb
Football Insider understands.

And there goes all credibility...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Aug 2020 12:50

‘Another’ ?

Have I missed something ?

Don’t think it would be a good move for either of them. He’ s not ready for the Prem and he’ll do better than Leeds in a couple of seasons.

Would be interesting to know what sort of money they think would get him given they are so keen to ‘take advantage’...

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 04 Aug 2020 12:54

Nameless ‘Another’ ?

Don’t think it would be a good move for either of them. He’ s not ready for the Prem and he’ll do better than Leeds in a couple of seasons.

Would be interesting to know what sort of money they think would get him given they are so keen to ‘take advantage’...

"The Whites are already in the race for the Royals star’s teammate John Swift, but face strong competition from Sheffield United."

Would expect a few clubs to be interested in him, can't see many offering him 20-30 league starts though which he'll almost definitely get here

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Aug 2020 12:57

Simon's Church
Nameless ‘Another’ ?

"The Whites are already in the race for the Royals star’s teammate John Swift, but face strong competition from Sheffield United."

Would expect a few clubs to be interested in him, can't see many offering him 20-30 league starts though which he'll almost definitely get here

Neither Swift or Olise are the sort of players a team likely to be battling relegation should be signing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Aug 2020 13:21

Depends on what they are offering tbh

They managed to sell that winger to spurs for 10m+ last year, and he ended up on the bench at QPR

I’d hope they’d be paying at least the same

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Aug 2020 13:25

Nameless
Simon's Church
Nameless ‘Another’ ?

Neither Swift or Olise are the sort of players a team likely to be battling relegation should be signing.

Good point

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2020 13:37

Nameless ‘Another’ ?

Yeah but if the moneys right then we have to say yes really. Olise wouldn't say no. Not many players would say no to Bielsa right now.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Aug 2020 13:45

Not sure we’have’ to say yes, and of course what the ‘right’ money is could vary massively depending on who you are.
It’s frustrating that there seems no guidance on FFP as if we knew what the rules will be we could make our plans accordingly.
In any case Olise is the one I would be absolutely locking away and not answering calls about.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Aug 2020 13:50

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Aug 2020 13:58

Nameless Not sure we’have’ to say yes, and of course what the ‘right’ money is could vary massively depending on who you are.
It’s frustrating that there seems no guidance on FFP as if we knew what the rules will be we could make our plans accordingly.
In any case Olise is the one I would be absolutely locking away and not answering calls about.

agree to an extent, but if they gave us enough to clear the FFP worries for a year or so it'd be worth entertaining. Be very sad to see him go of course, but definitely can't afford another Loader-esque shambles

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2020 14:42

Big fan of Olise, think he could have a big future.

But if someone offers us £5m+ for a teenager who probably won't play more than a (substantial) bit part next season, I think I'd take it with sadness.

The club comes first.

Think it would be a poor move for him though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2020 15:07

Nameless
Simon's Church
Nameless ‘Another’ ?

Swift has lots of experience successfully battling relegation, and lots of teams have fought relegation with a flair player (thinking of Grealish at Villa, Gylfi at Swansea, Anderson at West Ham...)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2020 17:20

Nameless Not sure we’have’ to say yes, and of course what the ‘right’ money is could vary massively depending on who you are.

I have decided that we need to start cashing in on players rather than keeping them around in the vague hope of everything clicking. Good up front fee and a fat sell on and let him go.

I agree though, not the best move for him. Although provided Leeds don't shit the bed and sack Bielsa Olise would probably improve under him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Aug 2020 17:47

SCIAG
Nameless
Simon's Church

Swift has lots of experience successfully battling relegation, and lots of teams have fought relegation with a flair player (thinking of Grealish at Villa, Gylfi at Swansea, Anderson at West Ham...)

Swift’s experience of battling against Championship sides may not translate into performing in the Premiership. I suspect he would have fitted in nicely with Leeds this season with lots of possession, mostly on the front foot. I’m not convinced the games wouldn’t just go on around him in the Prem

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Aug 2020 17:51

https://readceltic.com/2020/08/04/celti ... ael-olise/

Celtic throw their hat into the ring

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 08:35

Apart from Rafael , No one, sadly in our squad that I would be hugely sad to lose.

Get what we can for swift and use that wisely

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2020 08:45

Snowflake Royal Big fan of Olise, think he could have a big future.

But if someone offers us £5m+ for a teenager who probably won't play more than a (substantial) bit part next season, I think I'd take it with sadness.

The club comes first.

Think it would be a poor move for him though.

+1

Like you rightly said in another post, there's not a single player who has stood out as indispensible. Promising as Olise is, he's had some shit periods too.

EDIT: And I know there will be different opinions here but if he goes for £5m+ let's say, and that allows us to get Ejaria, I'll piggyback him up to Leeds myself.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 09:56

Olise is skilful and composed on the ball, and is undoubtedly a big talent. But he has work to do on his decision making and end product, which is fine for an 18 year old. He's not the finished product and won't be an automatic starter for a couple of years.

If we were run on an even keel, with no need to sell, I'd tell any suitors to offer silly money or piss off. But, given FFP and our finances, I'd happily take £5m. It'd be a shame not to watch him develop and flourish here, but we have to make difficult decisions.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Aug 2020 10:13

Hound

agree to an extent, but if they gave us enough to clear the FFP worries for a year or so it'd be worth entertaining. Be very sad to see him go of course, but definitely can't afford another Loader-esque shambles

im not even sure its FFP im worried about, its the ability/will of our owners to continue to pump daft money into a malfunctioning club

127 posts