Rumour - Olise to Leeds

127 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Olise to Leeds

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2020 22:54

andrew1957 Out of interest if we have been daft enough to place an 8M release clause in Olise's contract (unlikely I would have thought) does anyone know if the club then HAS to sell the player if another club offers the money and the player wants to go - or could we simply tell them to go away.

The point of a release clause is surely that if that valuation is met the offer has to be accepted. Otherwise it does absolutely nothing.

When did Olise get a contract last? A year or two ago? £8m at that point would be pretty darn high for a player who's played little or no first team football and is at a Championship club having not made it at PL Academies.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Nov 2020 13:14

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957 Out of interest if we have been daft enough to place an 8M release clause in Olise's contract (unlikely I would have thought) does anyone know if the club then HAS to sell the player if another club offers the money and the player wants to go - or could we simply tell them to go away.

The point of a release clause is surely that if that valuation is met the offer has to be accepted. Otherwise it does absolutely nothing.

When did Olise get a contract last? A year or two ago? £8m at that point would be pretty darn high for a player who's played little or no first team football and is at a Championship club having not made it at PL Academies.

The player and his agent may have insisted on a release clause when negotiating the current deal so, IF there is such a clause, it may not necessarily have been down to Reading but a shrewd gamble by the player/agent. Presume the value is something that would specifically be agreed by both player and club rather than just arbitrarily set by the club.

IF there is such a clause Reading can only start negotiations over a new deal but all the cards will be with the player. We shall see what happens in January (if anything).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Nov 2020 13:28

Snowflake Royal

Arsenal took advantage of this type of arrangement for the midfielder from Athletico Madrid.
I think the Spanish club was pissed off because it was very near deadline day.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Nov 2020 16:31

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

The player and his agent may have insisted on a release clause when negotiating the current deal so, IF there is such a clause, it may not necessarily have been down to Reading but a shrewd gamble by the player/agent. Presume the value is something that would specifically be agreed by both player and club rather than just arbitrarily set by the club.

IF there is such a clause Reading can only start negotiations over a new deal but all the cards will be with the player. We shall see what happens in January (if anything).

Well yeah, by definition a contract is something both parties agree to.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Dec 2020 16:43

What a difference a month makes.
With Reading appearing so much on TV lately and Michael Olise playing so well in those televised games his asking price has seemingly rocketed in such a short period of time with him and Reading becoming flavour of the month.

It made me wonder what sort of club he might go to if, and hopefully he won't, he moves to a Premier League club either in January or next Summer.
I suppose comparisons can be made with Said Benrahma and Jarrod Bowen who both were very influential in their Championship sides before moving for around £20 million, ironically both to West Ham.

Both players were very creative of chances as well as scoring quite a few themselves and had performed so well over a couple of seasons.

Olise has yet to do quite as much but age is on his side and , unlike Benrahma is English (?) so warrants the premium that applies to English players.

Those two both ended up at West Ham, so what level of team do posters think might be in for our Michael?

Everton are the latest supposedly interested and we have a bit of link with them over the loan signing of Gibson and last season the young Portuguese keeper.
The do currently have Rodriguez and Gomes as creative midfielders so is this an area where they might think of a deal to include Gylfi making everybody (fairly) happy?

I can't see Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal being interested bearing in mind who they already have and that City and Chelsea have already had him on their books.
Man Utd tend to buy just big names so we move on to the likes of Leicester and Southampton.

I could see him going to either of them and possibly getting a starting place..
Palace bought QPR's version of Olise in Eche and West Ham have already been covered so do we return again to Leeds?

We can probably rule out Sheff Utd, WBA, Fulham, Brighton and Burnley partly because of their positions in the league and partly because they might struggle to find the funds.

That leaves Wolves , a possibility, Newcastle and Villa who all seem to come up with the money when needed and he could possibly fit in with any of those immediately.

Lastly, and I just dread to suggest it, but if David Brooks were to leave Bournemouth then Olise would almost be a like-for-like replacement and it is a club that has spent readily in recent years.
That move might be more of a starter at the end of the season if they went up and we didn't.

So, we will see in a month or so what his future holds but I am with most on here that hopes that he will see out the season and then take things from there.
Having said that, there is always an argument for a club or player to cash-in when the player's star is at its brightest as things can change very quickly and at the moment his star really is shining bright and, with thanks to TV coverage, others will have noticed it as well.

i

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Dec 2020 17:11

With the rumours of £20m+, doesn't that confirm what we always suspected, that that rumour of an £8m release clause was pure garbage

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2020 17:17

wouldnt rule out Arsenal considering their current state

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Dec 2020 17:20

Hound wouldnt rule out Arsenal considering their current state

Only if he wanted to stay in the Championship next season!! Amirite?!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2020 17:24

Hendo

lolz. though I think WBA, Sheff Utd, and one of Burnley, Fulham or Brighton have that wrapped up

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Dec 2020 17:28

Hound
Hendo

lolz. though I think WBA, Sheff Utd, and one of Burnley, Fulham or Brighton have that wrapped up

Agreed.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 08 Dec 2020 22:08

South Coast Royal What a difference a month makes.
With Reading appearing so much on TV lately and Michael Olise playing so well in those televised games his asking price has seemingly rocketed in such a short period of time with him and Reading becoming flavour of the month.

It made me wonder what sort of club he might go to if, and hopefully he won't, he moves to a Premier League club either in January or next Summer.
I suppose comparisons can be made with Said Benrahma and Jarrod Bowen who both were very influential in their Championship sides before moving for around £20 million, ironically both to West Ham.

Both players were very creative of chances as well as scoring quite a few themselves and had performed so well over a couple of seasons.

Olise has yet to do quite as much but age is on his side and , unlike Benrahma is English (?) so warrants the premium that applies to English players.

Those two both ended up at West Ham, so what level of team do posters think might be in for our Michael?

Everton are the latest supposedly interested and we have a bit of link with them over the loan signing of Gibson and last season the young Portuguese keeper.
The do currently have Rodriguez and Gomes as creative midfielders so is this an area where they might think of a deal to include Gylfi making everybody (fairly) happy?

I can't see Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal being interested bearing in mind who they already have and that City and Chelsea have already had him on their books.
Man Utd tend to buy just big names so we move on to the likes of Leicester and Southampton.

Palace bought QPR's version of Olise in Eche and West Ham have already been covered so do we return again to Leeds?

We can probably rule out Sheff Utd, WBA, Fulham, Brighton and Burnley partly because of their positions in the league and partly because they might struggle to find the funds.

That leaves Wolves , a possibility, Newcastle and Villa who all seem to come up with the money when needed and he could possibly fit in with any of those immediately.

Lastly, and I just dread to suggest it, but if David Brooks were to leave Bournemouth then Olise would almost be a like-for-like replacement and it is a club that has spent readily in recent years.
That move might be more of a starter at the end of the season if they went up and we didn't.

So, we will see in a month or so what his future holds but I am with most on here that hopes that he will see out the season and then take things from there.
Having said that, there is always an argument for a club or player to cash-in when the player's star is at its brightest as things can change very quickly and at the moment his star really is shining bright and, with thanks to TV coverage, others will have noticed it as well.

i

I think you are probably right. We think he is amazing and worth £50 million, but he'll probably go to one of the promoted teams in June for less than half of that, and ironically, we will all cry.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Dec 2020 23:48

South Coast Royal What a difference a month makes.

i

Isn't he French?

Or is he dual national?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Dec 2020 00:59

His wikipedia page says he is French of Nigerian decent, regardless, he has lived in England long enough to qualify as homegrown so should carry that premium afforded to English players.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 09 Dec 2020 01:35

Jack Celliers
South Coast Royal snip snap

I think you are probably right. We think he is amazing and worth £50 million, but he'll probably go to one of the promoted teams in June for less than half of that, and ironically, we will all cry.

Trick is to be one of those three teams. With such a young squad ready to be pecked apart should we not go up it feels like a real sliding doors moment for the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2020 13:35

tidus_mi2 His wikipedia page says he is French of Nigerian decent, regardless, he has lived in England long enough to qualify as homegrown so should carry that premium afforded to English players.

I thought he had an English parent that’s why he qualifies for both England and France. His brother, Richard (right back I think with Chelsea’s academy) has got some youth apps for England and thought Michael had been included in an England U21 squad this year too?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2020 13:43

Sutekh
tidus_mi2 His wikipedia page says he is French of Nigerian decent, regardless, he has lived in England long enough to qualify as homegrown so should carry that premium afforded to English players.

I thought he had an English parent that’s why he qualifies for both England and France. His brother, Richard (right back I think with Chelsea’s academy) has got some youth apps for England and thought Michael had been included in an England U21 squad this year too?

Has played for France U18s

Is he allowed to swap to England? If he wanted to

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2020 14:04

bcubed
Sutekh

Believe that FIFA rules are that a player may not change the nation they represent if that player has been capped at senior international level in a competitive international match. The only exceptions being in the case of political changes to nations e.g. Yugoslavia splitting up.

So in this case if England/Michael felt their future was together then he could decide to do that, however I think players are only allowed to change “nationality” once so if Michael opted to change to England he couldn’t change back to anyone else at a later date.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Dec 2020 15:15

Sutekh
bcubed
Sutekh

Believe that FIFA rules are that a player may not change the nation they represent if that player has been capped at senior international level in a competitive international match. The only exceptions being in the case of political changes to nations e.g. Yugoslavia splitting up.

So in this case if England/Michael felt their future was together then he could decide to do that, however I think players are only allowed to change “nationality” once so if Michael opted to change to England he couldn’t change back to anyone else at a later date.

yep, this is how it works. Declan Rice played 3 senior friendlies for Ireland before committing to England.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2020 19:36

He's going nowhere and I'll fight anyone who tries to take him. :twisted:

FCReading1988

by FCReading1988 » 20 Dec 2020 09:22

Looks like Leicester are showing interest in Olise now and are also willing to let Demarai Gray leave. Obviously don't want to lose Olise but inevitable that he will go unfortunately. Depends on whether he would be prepared to drop down to the Championship (and sign for Reading!) but I think Gray would be an excellent player at this level so think a swap deal could be a good bit of business (obviously with a substantial amount of money coming our way as well).

127 posts