Jackson Irvine

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Jackson Irvine

by South Coast Royal » 10 Aug 2020 11:18

Always liked him as an attacking midfielder, now a free agent and I hear that we are interested.
With Swift seemingly going and no news on Ejaria it could well be that Irvine joins Laurent in a fresh-looking new midfield.

There will surely be a few available that don't want to be playing in Div 1 (either already there or at a relegated club) with the new very low salary cap for that division.

Would he be our first New Zealander?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jackson Irvine

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 11:20

South Coast Royal Always liked him as an attacking midfielder, now a free agent and I hear that we are interested.
With Swift seemingly going and no news on Ejaria it could well be that Irvine joins Laurent in a fresh-looking new midfield.

There will surely be a few available that don't want to be playing in Div 1 (either already there or at a relegated club) with the new very low salary cap for that division.

Good age at 27 as well.

I don't think he will be our first Kiwi, seeing as he is Australian :wink:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2020 11:27

Hendo
South Coast Royal Always liked him as an attacking midfielder, now a free agent and I hear that we are interested.

Good age at 27 as well.

Needs a haircut, not happy with someone with hair like that. He looks like a girl.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2020 11:34

yeah he's a handy player. Wouldnt be against him coming

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Aug 2020 12:04

Hendo

Good age at 27 as well.

:D :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 12:28

Wouldn't say no. Have reservations about picking up anyone in that Hull squad though, that game against Wigan near the end of the season kinda tells you all you need to know about those players. Can't argue with a free transfer though, would be a free hit if the wages are right. Shite hair though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 12:30

Old Man Andrews Wouldn't say no. Have reservations about picking up anyone in that Hull squad though, that game against Wigan near the end of the season kinda tells you all you need to know about those players. Can't argue with a free transfer though, would be a free hit if the wages are right. Shite hair though.

At least he didn't play in that Wigan game :) wasn't even in the squad.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 10 Aug 2020 12:34

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Wouldn't say no. Have reservations about picking up anyone in that Hull squad though, that game against Wigan near the end of the season kinda tells you all you need to know about those players. Can't argue with a free transfer though, would be a free hit if the wages are right. Shite hair though.

He had already been released by that point as he turned down a extension till the end of the season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 12:35

Hendo

Well thats slightly more encouraging. Clever enough to get out of that basketcase of a club at the earliest opportunity.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2020 13:03

I don’t think the wages would be that cheap. Suspect he’s after a fair whack

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2020 13:04

Seems decent. Doesn't score or assist a huge amount, but we're still light in midfield and could get lighter.

Would like another more defensive or B2B player in still. Although a creator is required if Swift goes and Ejaria doesn't come.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 13:04

Hound I don’t think the wages would be that cheap. Suspect he’s after a fair whack

In the current climate he might just be grateful for Championship football tbh, player power on wages is more or less over at the moment.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Aug 2020 13:23

Agree that Jackson would be a good addition. Would bring some much needed experience into midfield as well and on a free transfer is probably as good as the club could get this close season.

Now, remind me, how did the last midfielder Reading got from Hull do?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Aug 2020 13:47

In for the first football league club to field a woman in their mens team

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 10 Aug 2020 14:52

Used to losing...will fit in well!

Anyone else released from Hull we can go for? Maddison has been mentioned a few times

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Aug 2020 15:28

Notts Royal Used to losing...will fit in well!

Anyone else released from Hull we can go for? Maddison has been mentioned a few times

I have no objections to signing the odd player from a poor side but too many with the wrong mindsets could send us the wrong way. That said, Irvine has certainly had a couple strong seasons in the Championship, first with Burton then with Hull the following season so he might be worth a punt.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 10 Aug 2020 17:00

tidus_mi2
Notts Royal Used to losing...will fit in well!

I have no objections to signing the odd player from a poor side but too many with the wrong mindsets could send us the wrong way. That said, Irvine has certainly had a couple strong seasons in the Championship, first with Burton then with Hull the following season so he might be worth a punt.

I witnessed him score a header against us earlier this season...albeit against Virginia. Didn’t notice him too much in the rest of the game.

You’re right he had a good season with Burton when they first came up. May indicate we are unlikely to sign Ejaria, or Swift is off though

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Aug 2020 21:15

Always thought he may be worth a look when Hull signed him but at the time, we were more interested in spunking millions on useless pcunts like Aluko.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 10 Aug 2020 22:52

From what I have seen of him he is a good distributor of the ball and a leader. Could work well alongside Swift and Rinhomota and give what we have missed.

When he left Hull they finally fell apart and that says something. He is not going to score 15 a season but can do the tracking back with Rinhomota and pop balls up to Swift and the forwards. Definite yes from me.

Someone asked whether there was anyone else worth looking at from Hull. Kevin Stewart and Josh Bowler would make good squad players as well. Stewart is a DCM and Bowler is a winger who was on loan from Everton And has now been released.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Aug 2020 07:34

I think Hull fell apart the momemt they sold Bowen and Grosicki.

I really dont see Irvine linking well with Swift because if he joined us, it would most likely be as a replacement for Swift.