Rumour: Howe out

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Rumour: Howe out

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Aug 2020 12:11

Ex journo who is apparently still in the know, Courtney Friday, is reporting that Howe's position is under scrutiny. Owners unimpressed with our financial position.

I don't see how they can pin this on Howe. He inherited the Gourlay mess, which the Dais oversaw. He was/is willing to sell Loader and Swift, but the owners pulled the plug (as they did with Moore).

I think the owners have good intentions, but they appear to be absolutely clueless and have no understanding of how to run a club. They need to trust people who understand English football and the EFL (like Howe).

Hopefully it's just noise. Otherwise, the chain of events could be, Howe out, unknown in, spend big on promotion (but fail due to incoherent strategy), miss out, points deduction, League 1.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour: Howe out

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2020 12:28

Howe is it his fault?

Although I remember he has had his fair share of being a HNA scapegoat several times.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Aug 2020 13:11

There will be more to this than the headline rumour - of course Howe is not to blame for the financial mess he inherited but it could be a question, of has he done enough to maximise other revenue - has he been able to move player on outside of the "crown jewels", or negotiate a deal for them that we can't turn down.

Need to know more about the background here.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Aug 2020 13:29

I guess he was also at the wheel for the Joao and Puscas deals, but I still see him as trustworthy and would be anxious about his replacement if he left.

As for failing to maximise player sales and get good deals (apparently we're not getting Sheffield United to budge on their valuation of Swift), I think that goes back to our lack of DoF. We let a handful of agents dictate our transfer business.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2020 13:29

there was definitely a hint of a difference of opinion in certain matters in the Howe interview earlier in the year. Esp over last summer's transfer business. Maybe the owners and Howe are trying to steer the club in different directions

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2020 15:41

Why is this thread not titled "Houtwe"

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Aug 2020 16:20

lol at blaming howe
hes the one trying to sell players and push youngsters into the first team.
id be pointing fingers at gourlay and dodgy agents myself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2020 17:29

I'm not one of the Howe's infallible fan club, he was basically running the show when Burns was in town, but my fingers are firmly pointed at the owners.

Want marquee signings
Listen to independent agents
Refuse to sell players

Howe can't sort the problems out if they want to keep signing players like Puscas and refusing to sell Moore / Swift / Loader for decent offers.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 24 Aug 2020 17:56

Now gone.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Aug 2020 18:10

Replaced by random owners pet yes man

Joke

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 24 Aug 2020 18:13

Really concerning this IMO.

When we last heard from Howe on BBC Berks a few months back it was clear to see how concerned about the finances and how we needed to sell to balance the books for FFP.

Owner clearly wants to gamble and spend to take us up. If it works, fair play, TV revenue and Prem football will sort it all out.

If it fails, and we are lumbered with huge wages and a points deduction for breaching FFP... then who knows what will happen!

That’s my reading of the situation anyway

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 24 Aug 2020 18:34

I don't know anything about this but I'm not going to assume he is bad at his job just becuase he has a Chinese sounding name.

I for one welcome Mr Dayong Pang to the club and hope for a long and rewarding tenure.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 24 Aug 2020 18:35

hughsies no.1 Really concerning this IMO.

When we last heard from Howe on BBC Berks a few months back it was clear to see how concerned about the finances and how we needed to sell to balance the books for FFP.

Owner clearly wants to gamble and spend to take us up. If it works, fair play, TV revenue and Prem football will sort it all out.

If it fails, and we are lumbered with huge wages and a points deduction for breaching FFP... then who knows what will happen!

That’s my reading of the situation anyway

The potential marginalisation of Bowen is also a worry. Yet another season start with no plan...

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Aug 2020 18:36

This makes Bowen’s comments post match interesting. Didn’t he say things will be a bit clearer this week on the ovie transfer. Reckon Howe wanted to balance the books and wasn’t prepared to release the funds. I have a horrible feeling the owners are prepared to stick two fingers up to ffp and we will continue to spend despite not being able to afford (allowed) to

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 24 Aug 2020 18:39

WoodleyRoyal This makes Bowen’s comments post match interesting. Didn’t he say things will be a bit clearer this week on the ovie transfer. Reckon Howe wanted to balance the books and wasn’t prepared to release the funds. I have a horrible feeling the owners are prepared to stick two fingers up to ffp and we will continue to spend despite not being able to afford (allowed) to

That is the impression I get too, and if it works (like it did at Bournemouth and Wolves where they ignored it and gambled on promotion) then great. If it doesn't, we are left in a hole!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2020 18:50

It won't work, because we have to get promoted and our squad isn't up to it, even if we spent another £20m.

We did it their way with Gourlay. We did it their way with Gomes.

We're a disaster omnishambles.

Total joke.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2020 18:51

Hmm, didn’t see that coming at all

Very strange and yeah not particularly encouraging

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Aug 2020 18:55

This I reckon is Kia's influence on transfer policy which is extremely worrying.

He's the last of the old guard - our club is finished as we know it

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Aug 2020 19:06

I suppose the question is does a chief exec need to know anything about football to be in the role. If he is purely going to be doing the financials then he might be fine. What we are definitely crying out for now is an experienced director of football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2020 19:08

WoodleyRoyal I suppose the question is does a chief exec need to know anything about football to be in the role. If he is purely going to be doing the financials then he might be fine. What we are definitely crying out for now is an experienced director of football.

Personally think we're really crying out for a reduction in owner interference and their dodgy advisors.