Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

308 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

by Hendo » 13 Sep 2020 12:46

Nameless
CountryRoyal What was the latest with this guy?

pauanovic confirmed he’s till training with us.
I think we are just going to keep him and hope his club forget he’s here so he just becomes ours.

It worked with Ovie, tbf :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Sep 2020 13:37

Hendo
Nameless
CountryRoyal What was the latest with this guy?

I think we are just going to keep him and hope his club forget he’s here so he just becomes ours.

It almost worked once before. Reading loaned a player from Middlesbrough (I think) in around 1923 then sold him to West Ham or someone the following summer. Don’t think the error was discovered until the papers arrived at the FA/FL.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2020 14:23

man I really need to work on my 1920's Reading FC trivia

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Sep 2020 16:13

Sutekh
Hendo
Nameless

It almost worked once before. Reading loaned a player from Middlesbrough (I think) in around 1923 then sold him to West Ham or someone the following summer. Don’t think the error was discovered until the papers arrived at the FA/FL.

:shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Sep 2020 16:42

genome man I really need to work on my 1920's Reading FC trivia

Not Reading related but my favourite 1920's footie fact is that in 1926, QPR forgot to enter the FA Cup.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2020 08:29

From Pauno's comments last night, this one seems to be nearly done now that he has signed the deal with Athletico.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Sep 2020 08:57

Crying out for two quality wide men, this will be a start.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 11:07

windermereROYAL Crying out for two quality wide men, this will be a start.

Good wingers never a bad idea but who will we drop from
Ejaria, Rhino, Swift, Olise, Laurent, Araruna, Joao, Meite

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 12:34

Snowball

Araruna for starters. But having lots of different options and ways we can play is great. Joao works well playing alongside narrow supporting players like Ejaria and Olise. His hold up and link up play brings them into the game.

But I could see Puscas doing well in a system with wingers, where the ball is worked out wide
and crosses delivered for him to attack. If the Riquelme and Martins come in then suddenly we can play both ways.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 12:37

WestYorksRoyal
Snowball

Araruna for starters. But having lots of different options and ways we can play is great. Joao works well playing alongside narrow supporting players like Ejaria and Olise. His hold up and link up play brings them into the game.

But I could see Puscas doing well in a system with wingers, where the ball is worked out wide
and crosses delivered for him to attack. If the Riquelme and Martins come in then suddenly we can play both ways.

EITHER way

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 12:43

WestYorksRoyal
Snowball

Let me try again

if we have a back four and two wingers
that means two up front and two central midfielders
or one up front and three central midfielders
or 4-3-3 maybe

But a DM and Swift and two wingers (say), no Olise, Ejaria, Laurent, Rhino

If we play two wingers and the dynamic duo of Laurent and Rhino (say), and "feed Puscas" will he be a lone striker (but not so much holding up) or would he play in their with Joao...but where then are Olise, Ejaria, Swift going to fit in?

Something has to change radically if we are going to bring in two wingers

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 12:49

If we were to play 2 wingers, I'd still go 433. Instead of coming deep and playing players in, Puscas would run in behind and stretch the game to create space. In midfield, you'd have 2 hard working midfielders who can protect the backline but also take it in turns to run into the box when we're in a position to cross. You'd then have Swift in the playmaker role supplying the wide men. Ejaria would be a good bench option to bring on something different if we need to change the game.

442 would be an option but I'm not sure Swift would fit in with that well. But if Swift gets a big injury, we have ways to adapt if we use wingers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2020 15:28

WestYorksRoyal If we were to play 2 wingers, I'd still go 433. Instead of coming deep and playing players in, Puscas would run in behind and stretch the game to create space. In midfield, you'd have 2 hard working midfielders who can protect the backline but also take it in turns to run into the box when we're in a position to cross. You'd then have Swift in the playmaker role supplying the wide men. Ejaria would be a good bench option to bring on something different if we need to change the game.

442 would be an option but I'm not sure Swift would fit in with that well. But if Swift gets a big injury, we have ways to adapt if we use wingers.

Again the plan seems to be to have 3 or 4 ways of playing that the squad are comfortable with. There may well be games where playing 4-4-2 gives the best chance of winning and others where 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 is the best way to go - if we have the personnel who can make each of this formations effective, we will be very difficult to counter - especially if we can be fluid within games. 4-3-3 not working, we can shift quickly and easily in game - same if we spot a weakness in the opposition. If these deals come off, I'll be strangely excited about our chances this year.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 15:33

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal If we were to play 2 wingers, I'd still go 433. Instead of coming deep and playing players in, Puscas would run in behind and stretch the game to create space. In midfield, you'd have 2 hard working midfielders who can protect the backline but also take it in turns to run into the box when we're in a position to cross. You'd then have Swift in the playmaker role supplying the wide men. Ejaria would be a good bench option to bring on something different if we need to change the game.

Again the plan seems to be to have 3 or 4 ways of playing that the squad are comfortable with. There may well be games where playing 4-4-2 gives the best chance of winning and others where 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 is the best way to go - if we have the personnel who can make each of this formations effective, we will be very difficult to counter - especially if we can be fluid within games. 4-3-3 not working, we can shift quickly and easily in game - same if we spot a weakness in the opposition. If these deals come off, I'll be strangely excited about our chances this year.

Agreed. If you look at the squad, you'd currently expect Rafael, the back 4, Swift, Joao and Rinomhota to start nearly every game when fit. After that, it's all about options and depth. The win against Derby was a similar system to the best one Bowen found last year, but when Joao got injured the system basically broke and it was far less effective at home anyway. It'd be great to have different options and ways of adapting.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 16 Sep 2020 15:42

Snowball
WestYorksRoyal
Snowball

Let me try again

if we have a back four and two wingers
that means two up front and two central midfielders
or one up front and three central midfielders
or 4-3-3 maybe

But a DM and Swift and two wingers (say), no Olise, Ejaria, Laurent, Rhino

If we play two wingers and the dynamic duo of Laurent and Rhino (say), and "feed Puscas" will he be a lone striker (but not so much holding up) or would he play in their with Joao...but where then are Olise, Ejaria, Swift going to fit in?

Something has to change radically if we are going to bring in two wingers

Have you thought of this as plan b if the team we are playing against doesn't suit the current system then change up. Say we are in the 60th minute and we are losing or drawing currently our only option is to change like for like and this is unlikely to change the game.
If it was the line up from Derby take off Ejaria and Olise and replace with wingers changes the dynamic of the game with a more width 433.
Or if Meite is playing (instead of Olise or Ejaria) push him out wider, take off Swift and either E or O and replace with a winger and Puscas and you have a 442.

I think it is a bit short sighted saying this is our best players so this is how we will start every game. It is a 46 game season teams will nullify our set up after about 23 if we dont have a plan B. I hope this makes sense.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2020 16:41

If you are good enough you don’t need plan B or wiry about teams working you out.
Coppell didn’t have a plan B. Same team every week, same tactics, even made the same subs at the same time every game !
Ok, we’re not quite that good currently but I’d rather we did one thing so well that no one could cope with it and we didn’t have to go to a back up (which by definition isn’t as good)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 17:04

Nameless If you are good enough you don’t need plan B or wiry about teams working you out.
Coppell didn’t have a plan B. Same team every week, same tactics, even made the same subs at the same time every game !
Ok, we’re not quite that good currently but I’d rather we did one thing so well that no one could cope with it and we didn’t have to go to a back up (which by definition isn’t as good)

I used to run/coach/play-in a team and got a Chester/Newport County player (
then manager) John Relish to give us the once over and give me some advice.

So it's about 75 minutes and I say, "John, I'm really worried we do exactly the same thing every game."

He's said, "What's the score?"

6-2

"And you're worried you keep doing the same thing?"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Sep 2020 13:44

Marca reporting that this is finally a done deal and he will be announced as having signed a deal Atletico deal and joining us on loan for the season.

Apparently Paunovic has a very strong relationship with the Atleti Sporting Director which is why he is coming to us despite a number of clubs across Europe wanting him.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Sep 2020 14:42

Snowball
Nameless If you are good enough you don’t need plan B or wiry about teams working you out.

I used to run/coach/play-in a team and got a Chester/Newport County player (
then manager) John Relish to give us the once over and give me some advice.

So it's about 75 minutes and I say, "John, I'm really worried we do exactly the same thing every game."

He's said, "What's the score?"

6-2

"And you're worried you keep doing the same thing?"

But presumably the teams you were up against didn't have scouts ...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Sep 2020 15:47

i think the 106 team is misleading. it was a one off, a miracle coming together of a number of factors that was perfect for the players, management, ownership, fans, league , opposition etc. its not likely to work again. its not likely to be seen again.
also it was a while ago and things have changed a fair bit in football, and the division.
& if coppells plan A wasnt working for a few games, i have no doubt hed have come up with another plan that fit his player/oppo better.
its good to have the option to change if you have to.imo
especially at home against teams that sit back and invite you onto them

308 posts