RUMOUR: Rafael

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR: Rafael

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 15:47

JimmytheJim
Old Man Andrews
JimmytheJim
A handful of games in the SPL is proving yourself now?

We have two other highly-rated players who play in Swift's positions. On the other hand, we have had a recurring nightmare in the GK position for years. You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

He played a full season in the National League and received rave reviews.

Marcus Hahnemann
Alex McCarthy
Adam Federici
Ali Al-Habsi
Emi Martinez
Rafael

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right mate. We didn't spend two years with utter dross in between the sticks, shipping rubbish goals week after week. That was all in my head. You've proven me wrong by citing a short term loan and a bunch of keepers from up to 15 years ago.

What was it about Martinez that made him less of a keeper because he was on loan ?
On how many rubbish goals did Mannone let in compared to Feds ?
What is your point ?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 09 Sep 2020 15:56

I’m honestly struggling to work out what his tweet adds to warrant some fans thinking it means he wouldn’t prefer to leave. It says in the article he likes the club and would not force a move. So what does that tweet add?

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 09 Sep 2020 16:07

Nameless
JimmytheJim
Old Man Andrews He played a full season in the National League and received rave reviews.

Marcus Hahnemann
Alex McCarthy
Adam Federici
Ali Al-Habsi
Emi Martinez
Rafael

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right mate. We didn't spend two years with utter dross in between the sticks, shipping rubbish goals week after week. That was all in my head. You've proven me wrong by citing a short term loan and a bunch of keepers from up to 15 years ago.

What was it about Martinez that made him less of a keeper because he was on loan ?
What is your point ?

Initially, my point was the uncontroversial observation that we were really struggling in goal until Rafael came in. However, my argument has evolved somewhat into the following: you and OMA are thicker than a pair of planks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 16:29

JimmytheJim
Nameless
JimmytheJim

What is your point ?

Initially, my point was the uncontroversial observation that we were really struggling in goal until Rafael came in. However, my argument has evolved somewhat into the following: you and OMA are thicker than a pair of planks.

So you think that despite having possibly the best keeper we have ever had we were struggling before Rafael turned up ?
Your belief that Rafael is irreplaceable seems to rest on not knowing anything about Southwood, not counting Martinez, not thinking much of Mannone (who was far from useless) ....
I like Rafael, he’s a good, solid, unspectacular (in a good way) keeper and we got him for nothing. I’d be happier losing him and getting several million quid and a ready replacement than losing Swift who would be much harder to replace (although if we change formation we could paper over the hole he would leave)
Not sure I like being called thick. I’m not saying you are wrong, but it’s not nice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2020 17:38

Royal_jimmy It'd be a shame and a loss if Rafael was sold and I wouldn't feel comfortable going until January with an unproven but promising Southwood and the youngsters as GK options, assuming Sam Walker leaves too.

Rafael is a good keeper and didn't make many mistakes at all, he's not the most amazing shot stopper we've had but he is a reliable keeper and didn't cost any goals of memory through errors. £4M as a fee is probably about right. People who'd sell him for £1M are nuts for an important player. Not going to be able to bring anyone in for that fee. Glad we have better negotiators at the club!

I'd be behind giving Southwood a chance to see if he's good enough to be our number 1. If Rafael is talking to other clubs I'd actually put Southwood in goal v Derby and If he turns out to be another Joao Virginia then we have time in the transfer window to rectify and bring in a good replacement for Rafael, if Southwood does well then we have a solid potential number 1 and get a solid championship keeper as a number 2 (assuming Rafael does move on).

We already know Southwood isn't a Virginia, he's had at least one good professional first team season and was absolutely fine against Colchester. Which makes getting Virginia all the weirder.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Sep 2020 17:39

Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless I doubt being number 1 would be a big deal for Rafael. He’d get a big bike in wages and forever be able to refer to himself as Premier League player.
Hard to see us letting him go cheap and I suspect there are loads of clubs who make vague enquiries about players without actually going on to do anything more.

Would he be happy to move if the only thing he earns over and above Reading is having a large bicycle?

I think it’s a factor for many players these days....

I’m pleased times are changing and players are moving away from just looking at the money

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Sep 2020 18:27

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
SouthDownsRoyal
Would he be happy to move if the only thing he earns over and above Reading is having a large bicycle?

I’m pleased times are changing and players are moving away from just looking at the money

Apparently Osho left as he was only offered a small unicycle...

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Sep 2020 18:39

morganb
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless

Apparently Osho left as he was only offered a small unicycle...

We are cutting our cloth, we have offered players too much in recent years so to avoid FFP I assume we may have to offer smaller, lesser forms of transportation than other clubs.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 09 Sep 2020 18:51

yuomi
Old Man Andrews
yuomi
The former Manchester United defender says one of the attractions of his new club was that everyone is working together on the same 'project' which is to help get the club promoted to the Premier League.

"When I heard the club [Forest] were interested in me it was a no-brainer really," he said.

"I was at Reading for four years so to come to a club like Forest is a privilege and an honour for me in terms of the history of the club and the way in which the club is progressing.

"The club had been trying to sign me for the past two years. I believe it came close last season but it didn't happen.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me."

Asked to elaborate on the Forest 'project', he added: "For me it's a focus.

"Everyone has the same focus which is trying to achieve promotion.

"When you have a team - and by that I mean staff and everyone working at the club - working towards that it makes it a great thing.

"It makes it [promotion] even more possible."

getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tyler-blackett-opens-up-reading-18893957

So he said absolutely nothing then?

Him saying Nottingham Forest 'working together' to get to the PL implies that wasn't what he experienced at Reading.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me." <-- this means he (thinks he) hasn't been involved in a 'project' like that before, OMA.

This is a (not very subtle) diss at Reading IMO.

He can't have paid much attention to what has been happening at the City Ground over the last few years then....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Sep 2020 19:03

JimmytheJim
SCIAG
JimmytheJim Nuts if we fight to keep swift, who we don't need, but let Rafael go.

All the commenters saying he's not indispensable have short memories. When was the last time we had a decent keeper on a permanent contract?

And what does it matter what we paid for him? Doesn't impact his transfer value one iota. To sell him for anything less than a shit load of money would be a travesty.

Swift is our only creative player who has a strong track record at this level. Meite is a good goalscorer but doesn’t create much. Ejaria and Olise are a long way behind him and each created less than half as many chances per 90 as him last season. Holsgrove is only proven at third tier level, and we might be selling him anyway.

Contrastingly we have a battery of solid young goalkeepers, and in Southwood’s case one who has proven himself at a similar level.

We have two other highly-rated players who play in Swift's positions. On the other hand, we have had a recurring nightmare in the GK position for years. You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

For my money the gap between Swift and Ejaria/Olise is considerably larger than the gap between Rafael and Southwood. We’ve been extremely reliant on Swift to create chances in recent years. On the other hand Southwood is a very talented young man who is ready to play at this level, as evidenced by 18 games in the SPL (a league where Ejaria couldn’t hack it). You look at where Ashdown, Federici, McCarthy etc. were when they started their careers and it’s pretty similar.

I also think you’re seriously underrating Mannone. Like Rafael, he was a very solid keeper who was just overshadowed somewhat by Al-Habsi. I’ll always remember that one penalty save that probably kept us in the league. But I won’t disagree that the spell of alternating between Jakkola and Walker was no fun!

yuomi

by yuomi » 09 Sep 2020 19:37

Linden Jones' Tash
He can't have paid much attention to what has been happening at the City Ground over the last few years then....

9th and 7th-placed finishes in the last 2 years and ahead of us 5 out of the last 6?

Taken together, Baldock's "not a straightforward club" comments and these start to paint a picture.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 Sep 2020 19:53

SCIAG
JimmytheJim
SCIAG Swift is our only creative player who has a strong track record at this level. Meite is a good goalscorer but doesn’t create much. Ejaria and Olise are a long way behind him and each created less than half as many chances per 90 as him last season. Holsgrove is only proven at third tier level, and we might be selling him anyway.

Contrastingly we have a battery of solid young goalkeepers, and in Southwood’s case one who has proven himself at a similar level.

For my money the gap between Swift and Ejaria/Olise is considerably larger than the gap between Rafael and Southwood. We’ve been extremely reliant on Swift to create chances in recent years. On the other hand Southwood is a very talented young man who is ready to play at this level, as evidenced by 18 games in the SPL (a league where Ejaria couldn’t hack it). You look at where Ashdown, Federici, McCarthy etc. were when they started their careers and it’s pretty similar.

I also think you’re seriously underrating Mannone. Like Rafael, he was a very solid keeper who was just overshadowed somewhat by Al-Habsi. I’ll always remember that one penalty save that probably kept us in the league. But I won’t disagree that the spell of alternating between Jakkola and Walker was no fun!

I'm sorry but 18 games in the SPL apart from 2 games V Celtic is largely league 2 at best. I've seen the odd game on Sky since no English football and the standard is abysmal

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Sep 2020 20:11

Didn’t think Anssi or Walker are particularly bad either. Anssi especially had a decent run in the side

Mannone wasn’t awful, just bang average and ridiculously expensive if reports are to be believed for what he gave back to us

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 20:30

Hound Didn’t think Anssi or Walker are particularly bad either. Anssi especially had a decent run in the side

Mannone wasn’t awful, just bang average and ridiculously expensive if reports are to be believed for what he gave back to us

Anssi was probably the right ‘keeper at the wrong time. Good shot stopper, but pretty poor with the ball at his feet, which is what the manager was looking for.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 20:49

Mid Sussex Royal
SCIAG
JimmytheJim

I'm sorry but 18 games in the SPL apart from 2 games V Celtic is largely league 2 at best. I've seen the odd game on Sky since no English football and the standard is abysmal

I’d suggest you can spot a good keeper whatever the opposition. Probably better than spotting good outfield players.
Southwood has been rated at all the clubs he has been on loan at. He’s impressed for the Academy. The decision to let him go was bizarre, the decision to bring him back very sensible.
I wouldn’t actively look to sell Rafael just because we could use Southwood, but if Rafael went we’d have a ready mad replacement.
That’s just the view of someone you think is thick, so I’m sure you won’t be interested.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2020 20:56

SCIAG For my money the gap between Swift and Ejaria/Olise is considerably larger than the gap between Rafael and Southwood. We’ve been extremely reliant on Swift to create chances in recent years.

Don't really agree with that SCIAG.

Swift undoubtedly had a very good last season, and he's ahead of where Ejaria and Olise are / were, but I think they both have a higher potential and are growing towards it.

Swift really stepped back up and delivered this season after not really producing the end product the previous two.

Against Colchester, we saw Olise step up his end product when moved into that more No 10 role, early signs but you beat what's in front of you.

And if Ejaria can make the same transition Swift did last season, up his tempo, be a bit more purposeful and deliver that end product, he's got the potential to really eclipse Swift.

With those three, my worries about creativity are pretty small whichever plays - providing the right balance is through the rest of the team. Ie if Joao, Meite, Rino and Laurent are regularly playing we should see much better play and results

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 Sep 2020 10:45

I hope Rafael doesn’t go. Good keeper.

Keeper is an important position and not one I’d like to gamble on, especially this close to the new season.

Could be game playing or media clickbating but we will see

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 10 Sep 2020 11:07

Good keeper but not amazing...would probably put him in the same bracket as Federici & Al-Habsi, but not as good as Hislop, Hahnemann, McCarthy or Martinez.

Wouldn’t be crying if we lost him, like some of the Twitter kids, but also would be happy seeing him line up for us

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 Sep 2020 11:43

Notts Royal Good keeper but not amazing...would probably put him in the same bracket as Federici & Al-Habsi, but not as good as Hislop, Hahnemann, McCarthy or Martinez.

Wouldn’t be crying if we lost him, like some of the Twitter kids, but also would be happy seeing him line up for us

It’s okay if he goes, the replacement is the important thing!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2020 12:58

Notts Royal Good keeper but not amazing...would probably put him in the same bracket as Federici & Al-Habsi, but not as good as Hislop, Hahnemann, McCarthy or Martinez.

Similar but I'd say Al-Habsi is ahead, whereas McCarthy isn't.