Nathan Phillips

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Nathan Phillips

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Sep 2020 09:37

Everyone's favourite ex-journo has said we're interested in the Liverpool centre back on loan. Big :| from me, given CB seems to be our strongest area.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nathan Phillips

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2020 09:47

Pepe the Horseman Everyone's favourite ex-journo has said we're interested in the Liverpool centre back on loan. Big :| from me, given CB seems to be our strongest area.

But might allow one of the youngsters to go on loan and get more game time.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 09:58

If we're planning to play 3 CBs a bit I understand. Otherwise I don't get why we'd have another club’s youngster over McIntyre and Holmes.

I guess Holmes is only 20, so another loan could be beneficial.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Sep 2020 10:04

Nameless
Pepe the Horseman Everyone's favourite ex-journo has said we're interested in the Liverpool centre back on loan. Big :| from me, given CB seems to be our strongest area.

But might allow one of the youngsters to go on loan and get more game time.

I wouldn't be against that if we were bringing in someone with a bit of experience, but this guy's only played a few more games than McIntyre and Holmes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 10:08

depends how good he is obviously. Probably needs to find regular football at his age and seems to be fairly well rated by Liverpool. Haven't seen him play but wouldnt be against it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2020 10:24

Hmm - could be an interesting move.

Played 19 times for Stuttgart last year as they won promotion from the 2. Bundesliga and made 3 cup apperances too.

So has played at a decent standard - would imagine there would be an expectation that he starts more often than not, so maybe someone shifting out?

I am against this move though purely because his dad played for Bolton in that play-off final. :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Sep 2020 10:46

Stranded Hmm - could be an interesting move.

Played 19 times for Stuttgart last year as they won promotion from the 2. Bundesliga and made 3 cup apperances too.

So has played at a decent standard - would imagine there would be an expectation that he starts more often than not, so maybe someone shifting out?

I am against this move though purely because his dad played for Bolton in that play-off final. :wink:

It does sound as though we are developing a bit of a connection with Liverpool as we have had with Chelsea which is no bad thing.
In this instance however with the 2 young centre-backs already in and around the first team I am not sure that this is a priority.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Sep 2020 11:06

Liverpool won’t let him go without a 5m mandatory fee at the moment by the way. He has a lot of teams interested that have been put off by that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 11:08

TiagoIlori Liverpool won’t let him go without a 5m mandatory fee at the moment by the way. He has a lot of teams interested that have been put off by that.

a 5M LOAN fee?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 11:08

TiagoIlori Liverpool won’t let him go without a 5m mandatory fee at the moment by the way. He has a lot of teams interested that have been put off by that.

yeah until they realise no one will pay it and they have to drop the demand

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Sep 2020 11:09

Snowball

a 5M LOAN fee?

No, 5m at the end of the season to have him permanently.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Sep 2020 11:10

TiagoIlori
Snowball

a 5M LOAN fee?

No, 5m at the end of the season to have him permanently.

That's not an issue for us. We'll just agree to it and then wait until the end of the season to tell them we haven't got any money.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Sep 2020 11:11

Hound

yeah until they realise no one will pay it and they have to drop the demand

You would expect it to drop definitely, was more hinting that it would be a late deal that can only be done once Liverpool drop that demand.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Sep 2020 13:51

Part of Liverpool’s squad for the 2019/2020 Champions League final win as well so obviously rated very highly.

It’s about having a good squad with decent options, Reading need more centre back cover and give the option to play 3 at the back. I would expect him to be seen by Reading as, currently, a better player than McIntyre for there to be any interest in taking him otherwise there’s just no point. I’d expect Liverpool would want him to get a certain amount of game time as well. Perhaps he can play at left back too.....?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2020 13:54

Sutekh Part of Liverpool’s squad for the 2019/2020 Champions League final win as well so obviously rated very highly.

It’s about having a good squad with decent options, Reading need more centre back cover and give the option to play 3 at the back. I would expect him to be seen by Reading as, currently, a better player than McIntyre for there to be any interest in taking him otherwise there’s just no point. I’d expect Liverpool would want him to get a certain amount of game time as well. Perhaps he can play at left back too.....?

If he comes inahead of McIntyre then don’t expect McIntyre to play for us again this season, he’ll be out on loan. Absolutely no benefit to him or us for him not to be playing regularly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 13:55

isnt our schedule something like 2 games a week right up to May?

We'll need 4 CBs

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Sep 2020 13:56

Hound isnt our schedule something like 2 games a week right up to May?

We'll need 4 CBs

Morrison, Moore, McIntrye, Holmes?

Still hopeful we sell Moore tbh.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2020 13:59

We'll need 4 CBs

We don’t have a midweek game next week....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Sep 2020 14:04

Old Man Andrews

We'll need 4 CBs

In October (after the next international break), I believe fixtures start getting “busy”.

And given the number of games in a condensed period all clubs will probably need more cover across their squads than if it were a “normal” season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 14:13

Old Man Andrews

We'll need 4 CBs

yeah, just that dependency on both McIntyre and Holmes is a bit risky imo.