Nathan Phillips

Old Man Andrews

Re: Nathan Phillips

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Sep 2020 14:19

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound isnt our schedule something like 2 games a week right up to May?

We'll need 4 CBs

Morrison, Moore, McIntrye, Holmes?

Still hopeful we sell Moore tbh.

yeah, just that dependency on both McIntyre and Holmes is a bit risky imo.

Dunno, I think we might as well give Holmes the game time over a loanee. He will never be good enough unless he gets the game time, lets give him the chance to prove himself. Liverpool are normally insistant their loan players get guaranteed game time so its not like Phillips would be sitting in reserve all the time either, he would get his fair share of starts I reckon and take game time away from McIntyre and Holmes.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 16 Sep 2020 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 14:27

solely down to whether the new boss thinks the 4 we have are good enough tbh. If Phillips is considerably better in their judgement then fair enough

Certainly Moore/Morrison wasn't an outstanding success last year

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 14:30

Hound solely down to whether the new boss thinks the 4 we have are good enough tbh. If Phillips is considerably better in their judgement then fair enough

I'm a tad nervous that Morrison might fall off the age-cliff at any time.

Not saying he will. Just it could happen

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 14:38

Snowball
Hound solely down to whether the new boss thinks the 4 we have are good enough tbh. If Phillips is considerably better in their judgement then fair enough

Depends. McShane went off an age cliff, whereas the likes of Ingimarsson and Williams went down a gradual hill. If Morrison does the latter, I can see use for him for a couple of years yet.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2020 15:24

WestYorksRoyal
Snowball

Depends. McShane went off an age cliff, whereas the likes of Ingimarsson and Williams went down a gradual hill. If Morrison does the latter, I can see use for him for a couple of years yet.

He's only contracted til next summer, can see him being replaced next year - perhaps Phillips may be a loan to buy to be that replacement. Who knows.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 16 Sep 2020 16:45

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Snowball

He's only contracted til next summer, can see him being replaced next year - perhaps Phillips may be a loan to buy to be that replacement. Who knows.

That would work well if we were to be promoted, and Phillips was good enough to start in the Prem. Lovely way to finish your career too, for Morrison. But Let's not write him off yet, I've grown to really like him, and would love him to last a few more seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2020 19:46

It's a nope for me.

Unlikely to displace Moore or Morrison and if he does it's blocking progression for McIntyre and Holmes. Bench warming ahead of McIntyre and Holmes helps no one.

Holmes impressed me in the cup games. I think he's good for 4th choice.

Should we want to play 3 CBs regularly, it's still probably a no. Rather someone more experienced go sit on the bench and cover the three Ms.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Sep 2020 19:52

Snowflake Royal It's a nope for me.

Unlikely to displace Moore or Morrison and if he does it's blocking progression for McIntyre and Holmes. Bench warming ahead of McIntyre and Holmes helps no one.

Should we want to play 3 CBs regularly, it's still probably a no. Rather someone more experienced go sit on the bench and cover the three Ms.

Agreed. Let’s have Holmes as our fourth choice. It means he may get some first team action this season but likely to be limited unless two ahead in the pecking order pick up nasty injuries.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 16 Sep 2020 21:27

I'd rather have Nathan Tyson

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Sep 2020 00:18

I'm not 100% convinced by Tom Holmes whenever I've seen him play. He's a bit clumsy on the ball and think he needs a league 1 or league 2 loan move where he'll play every week to iron out his mistakes and where he is less likely to be punished for errors. We want him to potentially be a long term replacement for Morrison which he'll more likely become with regular game time. Is 10 games this season here and possibly making some mistakes going to help his development? Would not be upset if he gets a loan move with a recall option.

McIntyre is far from developed either. Potential is there but he'll make more mistakes. He is a bit overhyped on here whilst he's a good player. To me overall our centre backs are average and I wouldn't be against Nathan Phillips coming here if he adds the quality we need but if Moore leaves and Morrison gets injured we'll have a defence lacking in experience. We have 2 very young centre backs as it is. 3 of them could be risky.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 08:12

Royal_jimmy I'm not 100% convinced by Tom Holmes whenever I've seen him play. He's a bit clumsy on the ball and think he needs a league 1 or league 2 loan move where he'll play every week to iron out his mistakes and where he is less likely to be punished for errors. We want him to potentially be a long term replacement for Morrison which he'll more likely become with regular game time. Is 10 games this season here and possibly making some mistakes going to help his development? Would not be upset if he gets a loan move with a recall option.

McIntyre is far from developed either. Potential is there but he'll make more mistakes. He is a bit overhyped on here whilst he's a good player. To me overall our centre backs are average and I wouldn't be against Nathan Phillips coming here if he adds the quality we need but if Moore leaves and Morrison gets injured we'll have a defence lacking in experience. We have 2 very young centre backs as it is. 3 of them could be risky.

If you want Centre backs who don’t make the odd mistake then you’ll be looking for ever. You can’t write off a young centre back for one error. Van Dijk made an absolute howler against Leeds, Maguire makes loads, Both Moore and Morrison make mistakes.
Getting loans for young centre backs where th y actually get games is really tough. If our manager decides his player needs to go and get experience why should another manager take a risk ? We’ve had this problem several times (Osho, Dickie) where youngster goes on loan, the manager puts older players in the team and the yOungster ends up wasting their time. They are training with Different manager, with worse players and missing out on development.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2020 08:30

Nameless
Royal_jimmy I'm not 100% convinced by Tom Holmes whenever I've seen him play. He's a bit clumsy on the ball and think he needs a league 1 or league 2 loan move where he'll play every week to iron out his mistakes and where he is less likely to be punished for errors. We want him to potentially be a long term replacement for Morrison which he'll more likely become with regular game time. Is 10 games this season here and possibly making some mistakes going to help his development? Would not be upset if he gets a loan move with a recall option.

If you want Centre backs who don’t make the odd mistake then you’ll be looking for ever. You can’t write off a young centre back for one error. Van Dijk made an absolute howler against Leeds, Maguire makes loads, Both Moore and Morrison make mistakes.
Getting loans for young centre backs where th y actually get games is really tough. If our manager decides his player needs to go and get experience why should another manager take a risk ? We’ve had this problem several times (Osho, Dickie) where youngster goes on loan, the manager puts older players in the team and the yOungster ends up wasting their time. They are training with Different manager, with worse players and missing out on development.

love the "Maguire makes loads" comment. English CBs who go for a large fee after a season or 2 of impressing seem to be cursed. Maguire, Stones, Keane, Mawson, Jones.. I'm sure there is more.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 08:32

NewCorkSeth
Nameless

love the "Maguire makes loads" comment. English CBs who go for a large fee after a season or 2 of impressing seem to be cursed. Maguire, Stones, Keane, Mawson, Jones.. I'm sure there is more.

Apparantly Maguire has been excellent in preseason. If he screws up he just yells at the referee ‘I’m very rich, I can pay’, and the ref gives the free kick the other way.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2020 08:33

Nameless
NewCorkSeth
Nameless

Apparantly Maguire has been excellent in preseason. If he screws up he just yells at the referee ‘I’m very rich, I can pay’, and the ref gives the free kick the other way.

lol. Can't wait for the inevitable England vs Greece game that he will undoubtedly captain.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 09:49

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
NewCorkSeth love the "Maguire makes loads" comment. English CBs who go for a large fee after a season or 2 of impressing seem to be cursed. Maguire, Stones, Keane, Mawson, Jones.. I'm sure there is more.

lol. Can't wait for the inevitable England vs Greece game that he will undoubtedly captain.

Although Greece v England may prove trickier for him....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2020 09:52

Nameless
NewCorkSeth
Nameless

Although Greece v England may prove trickier for him....

:lol:
Looking forward to the first Arsenal v UTD game. Sokratis looks like he loves a bit of thuggery.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Sep 2020 11:11

McIntyre also seems to be quite injury prone. Don't know the stats but feels like he missed ore games than he played / could have played last season (though recovered during initial COVID lockdown)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 12:27

3points McIntyre also seems to be quite injury prone. Don't know the stats but feels like he missed ore games than he played / could have played last season (though recovered during initial COVID lockdown)

He’s had some injuries but I suspect OST of the games he missed last year were because he fractured his eye socket on his debut, which I doubt will be a recurring injury !

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Sep 2020 13:20

Zip
Snowflake Royal It's a nope for me.

Agreed. Let’s have Holmes as our fourth choice. It means he may get some first team action this season but likely to be limited unless two ahead in the pecking order pick up nasty injuries.

But if the club can get Holmes out on loan and playing, say, at division 3 standard reasonably regularly then that would be more beneficial to both club and player than having him stay around for the season and just get the odd game here and there.

Personally wouldn’t worry too much as I don’t think it’s a move that’s going to happen (so that’ll guarantee him rocking up in the next couple of weeks then).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2020 13:41

Nameless
3points McIntyre also seems to be quite injury prone. Don't know the stats but feels like he missed ore games than he played / could have played last season (though recovered during initial COVID lockdown)

He’s had some injuries but I suspect OST of the games he missed last year were because he fractured his eye socket on his debut, which I doubt will be a recurring injury !

There are times when I really appreciate your work. And this is one of them!

:lol: