Rumour - Perry Ng

Old Man Andrews

Re: Rumour - Perry Ng

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 08:08

WoodleyRoyal Fast becoming one of the worst threads to ever grace this portal. And that’s saying something.

Why is this? What factors are in play that make this one of the worst? Analyse it please.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 08:45

royalp-we This would be a really promising signing. If we manage to get Ng, Gibson and Riquelme in this week it’s really not just a ‘sh!t or bust‘ approach from the owners.

Agreed wit this, if the 3 signings come off, they are sensible, well thought-out signings which fill holes in the squad and help in the short term/long-term (with Ng), while not totally screwing the club over financially.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 09:53

Hendo
royalp-we This would be a really promising signing. If we manage to get Ng, Gibson and Riquelme in this week it’s really not just a ‘sh!t or bust‘ approach from the owners.

Agreed wit this, if the 3 signings come off, they are sensible, well thought-out signings which fill holes in the squad and help in the short term/long-term (with Ng), while not totally screwing the club over financially.

Yep, I still expect an out of the blue big money signing on deadline day, but looking promising atm.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 09:56

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

Yep, I still expect an out of the blue big money signing on deadline day, but looking promising atm.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either to be honest, but I can take one big money signing if it is outweighed by Laurent, Riquelme, Gibson & Ng.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Sep 2020 09:59

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either to be honest, but I can take one big money signing if it is outweighed by Laurent, Riquelme, Gibson & Ng.

Even allowing for the big fees on Joao and Puscas, our transfer dealings for the past few windows have been a vast improvement. Started with the window of loanees and hasn't looked back. Virginia was a cheap flop which didn't matter, and Puscas is a qualified success we want to see kick on and deliver more. But no total flops and wasted wages. Still worried about FFP though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 10:24

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Yep, I still expect an out of the blue big money signing on deadline day, but looking promising atm.

Even allowing for the big fees on Joao and Puscas, our transfer dealings for the past few windows have been a vast improvement. Started with the window of loanees and hasn't looked back. Virginia was a cheap flop which didn't matter, and Puscas is a qualified success we want to see kick on and deliver more. But no total flops and wasted wages. Still worried about FFP though.

Agreed with that, I guess the worry was when Bowen left, things might go off the rails, but so far so good.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 11:00

Who do you all reckon the players agent is?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Sep 2020 11:02

Old Man Andrews Who do you all reckon the players agent is?

Modesty prevents me from answering

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Sep 2020 11:36

Hendo
WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

Agreed with that, I guess the worry was when Bowen left, things might go off the rails, but so far so good.

Was Ng a Bowen target?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 11:43

Lower West
Hendo
WestYorksRoyal Even allowing for the big fees on Joao and Puscas, our transfer dealings for the past few windows have been a vast improvement. Started with the window of loanees and hasn't looked back. Virginia was a cheap flop which didn't matter, and Puscas is a qualified success we want to see kick on and deliver more. But no total flops and wasted wages. Still worried about FFP though.

Was Ng a Bowen target?

I guess he could've been, but I don't remember seeing his name before Bowen left.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2020 11:54

Hendo
Lower West
Hendo

Was Ng a Bowen target?

I guess he could've been, but I don't remember seeing his name before Bowen left.

Does it matter if he was. If you choose to believe that Eddie guy off Twitter, the main problem with Bowen was Bowen. He was allegedly actively disliked by many at the club before he was replaced.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Sep 2020 12:02

Stranded
Hendo
Lower West
Was Ng a Bowen target?

Does it matter if he was. If you choose to believe that Eddie guy off Twitter, the main problem with Bowen was Bowen. He was allegedly actively disliked by many at the club before he was replaced.

For those not on Twitter ... any chance you can share what this 'Eddie guy' has claimed and what his sauce is?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 12:03

Stranded
Hendo
Lower West
Was Ng a Bowen target?

Yeah no it doesn't bother me at all, but I do remember there was a lot of talk about after Bowen was gone, we'd be trying to buy the league with players from abroad. This signing would certainly fit in the model that it looks like he was trying to create following the Laurent signing.

What that Eddie says is very interesting, especially if it is true.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 12:06

Royalwaster
Stranded
Hendo

For those not on Twitter ... any chance you can share what this 'Eddie guy' has claimed and what his sauce is?

Now that Bowen has gone, here are some bits that I didn’t report about him to prevent an upset in the camp #ReadingFC :

At the end of lock down, not all staff were permitted back to training ( for Covid reasons). Bowen bought his son back before other, more senior staff...

...and people felt as though he had done so in order to get his son off of furlough, while many others stayed on a reduced wage.

Bowen was a bit of a divisive figure behind the scenes, he fell out with some established staff- far more than previous mangers. #ReadingFC

He also let the team go out clubbing after games, something unusual for an elite sports team. Jose Gomes, for example, wouldn’t allow players drink regularly in the season.

Doesn’t mean anything now, but thought i’d mention it. #ReadingFC

Bowen also fell out with club captain Liam Moore. Hence why he seemed to be out of the side, and presumably why the club were open to selling him near the start of the window. #ReadingFC

Don't know who is sauce is, but he certainly has at least one, his information has been incredibly accurate, even going back a few years when he would tweet out the starting XI a couple of hours before it was officially announced.

I think he has someone in the media team, personally.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2020 12:09

Stranded
Hendo
Lower West
Was Ng a Bowen target?

The one source I have who has worked over the summer with a player who was with us last season confirms that Bowen was not greatly liked by the players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2020 13:17

Hendo
Royalwaster
Stranded

Now that Bowen has gone, here are some bits that I didn’t report about him to prevent an upset in the camp #ReadingFC :

At the end of lock down, not all staff were permitted back to training ( for Covid reasons). Bowen bought his son back before other, more senior staff...

...and people felt as though he had done so in order to get his son off of furlough, while many others stayed on a reduced wage.

Bowen was a bit of a divisive figure behind the scenes, he fell out with some established staff- far more than previous mangers. #ReadingFC

He also let the team go out clubbing after games, something unusual for an elite sports team. Jose Gomes, for example, wouldn’t allow players drink regularly in the season.

Doesn’t mean anything now, but thought i’d mention it. #ReadingFC

Bowen also fell out with club captain Liam Moore. Hence why he seemed to be out of the side, and presumably why the club were open to selling him near the start of the window. #ReadingFC

Don't know who is sauce is, but he certainly has at least one, his information has been incredibly accurate, even going back a few years when he would tweet out the starting XI a couple of hours before it was officially announced.

I think he has someone in the media team, personally.

Odd mixed messages there. Some of it certainly not good, though could be plausible and innocuous explanations.

If he was so disliked and doing dodgy things it's a surprise we tried to keep him on in a different role tbh.

Don't know how much can be read into any of that.

Would potentially explain a sacking but I remain highly unconvinced.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2020 13:31

Maybe the owners saw his experience and insight as valuable but didn't believe he was the right man for day to day, hands on involvement with the squad.

The person I got information from has direct contact with a former player so I'd regard them as pretty reliable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2020 13:52

From Despair To Where? Maybe the owners saw his experience and insight as valuable but didn't believe he was the right man for day to day, hands on involvement with the squad.

The person I got information from has direct contact with a former player so I'd regard them as pretty reliable.

Fair enough, unless former player has an axe to grind of course.

Overall though, MB did do a good job in his short tenure and while there were still shortcomings (home form being the obvious one) he did manage to steady the foundations strengthened by Jose and now, hopefully, VP can successfully finish the job in the next 2/3 seasons..

Wisconsin Royal

by Wisconsin Royal » 21 Sep 2020 13:56

Is it a good time to mention that 'w' can act as a vowel too?

https://www.dictionary.com/e/w-vowel/

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2020 13:58

Of course. There's always chance it's a dissgruntled doer player but when you get the same story from a number of different sources, pattern does emerge.

I also thought Bowen had done a decent job and was shocked when he was sacked but I like to think he (and Gomes) have left a foundation for Paunovic to build on.