Rumour - Perry Ng

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Rumour - Perry Ng

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Sep 2020 09:59

Finally we appear to be looking at the lower leagues again. First Laurent now this guy. Long may this approach continue. Far better than signing some nomark foreign player that will take 6 months to adapt. Or some spotty premier league teenager on 100k a week at the age of 17, who is only here to tick a few boxes in his development portfolio. And as others have said, to be captain at 24 he must have something about him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 10:27

From Despair To Where? Yawn :roll: :roll:

You do realise you are allowed to be wrong once in a while, snowball. I think I'll go with the sourced based evidence rather than the opinion on this one.

Of course, just as you could be wrong.

I have been taught all my life that a-e-i-o-u are the FIVE English Vowels, or proper-vowels, that y is ALWAYS, 100% of the time a consonant, but can ACT as a vowel. Half a dozen of my English teachers, and a few encyclopaedias and dictionaries could be wrong of course.

Also we are confusing two things.

Vowel per dictionary THE SOUND articulated.

and

Which of the 26 letters of the English Alphabet are considered to be vowels?

The answer to the latter question (only all my life) has been:

There are 21 consents and five vowels, a-e-i-o-u. Y is a consonant but is sometimes used as a vowel.

If a striker goes in goal we say he is a striker playing in goal,
not that he is on the list of Reading goalkeepers and now competing
for the position.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Sep 2020 10:34

Personally I hope he plays at full-back. He'd be a consonant threat down the flanks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 10:42

Snowball

You do realise you are allowed to be wrong once in a while, snowball. I think I'll go with the sourced based evidence rather than the opinion on this one.

I have been taught all my life that a-e-i-o-u are the FIVE English Vowels, or proper-vowels, that y is ALWAYS, 100% of the time a consonant, but can ACT as a vowel. Half a dozen of my English teachers, and a few encyclopaedias and dictionaries could be wrong of course.

and

There are 21 consents and five vowels, a-e-i-o-u. Y is a consonant but is sometimes used as a vowel.

for the position.

Awful analogy.
If a striker goes in goal he becomes, under the laws of the game, a goalkeeper. If he was not he would not be allowed to handle the ball. The laws make no reference to a ‘striker playing in goal’ being allowed to use his hands. The person wearing the distinctive shirt IS a goalkeeper for the duration of the game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Sep 2020 11:48

I concede. The linguistics experts who have written academic papers on the subject are wrong and the bloke on the internet is right.

But yes, as Nameless says, when the outfield player goes on goal, according to the laws of the game, he is the goalkeeper. By the laws of linguistics, the letter y is the vowel, which was SCIAG's original and well made and independently evidenced point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2020 13:57

Must be one of the dullest tangents a thread has even taken. And it has some serious competition

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 15:52

genome Personally I hope he plays at full-back. He'd be a consonant threat down the flanks.

And is good at buying vowls

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 15:55

Nameless
Snowball

and

for the position.

Awful analogy.
If a striker goes in goal he becomes, TEMPORARILY, under the laws of the game, a goalkeeper. If he was not he would not be allowed to handle the ball. The laws make no reference to a ‘striker playing in goal’ being allowed to use his hands. The person wearing the distinctive shirt IS a goalkeeper for the duration of the game.

And thereafter he is called “our goalkeeper” Yeah right

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 16:26

Snowball
Nameless
Snowball

and

for the position.

Awful analogy.
If a striker goes in goal he becomes, TEMPORARILY, under the laws of the game, a goalkeeper. If he was not he would not be allowed to handle the ball. The laws make no reference to a ‘striker playing in goal’ being allowed to use his hands. The person wearing the distinctive shirt IS a goalkeeper for the duration of the game.

You seem to struggle with anything other then rigid, inflexible rules !

You need to get a little more open minded....

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 20 Sep 2020 18:16

Apparently has been very good in league one so far as well as league two which is good to see. Will he be happy signing for us as a backup though? Yiadom is irreplaceable when fit and it wouldn’t be too good for his confidence to lose his place as soon as Yiadom comes back from his injury..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 19:21

TiagoIlori Apparently has been very good in league one so far as well as league two which is good to see. Will he be happy signing for us as a backup though? Yiadom is irreplaceable when fit and it wouldn’t be too good for his confidence to lose his place as soon as Yiadom comes back from his injury..

Don't think Joao is irreplaceable, let alone Yiadom.

I reckon he'd back himself to win the shirt. And know that if he was bench warming he's earning a lot more and in with a chance next season. Yiadom's pushing 29 and this will be his third season here, only one more on contract after that iirc. Ng has 5 years on him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 19:45

Nameless
Snowball
Nameless
Awful analogy.

If you say so, but personally, seven in a bed including a goat seems open minded enough for me.

Had lunch in London today with half a dozen journalists, every one with a degree and a masters.

I asked the vowel question and all six said “a-e-I-o-u” adding that anyone who says y IS a vowel is a deranged right wing illiterate nut job

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 19:56

Snowball
Nameless
Snowball

If you say so, but personally, seven in a bed including a goat seems open minded enough for me.

Had lunch in London today with half a dozen journalists, every one with a degree and a masters.

I asked the vowel question and all six said “a-e-I-o-u” adding that anyone who says y IS a vowel is a deranged right wing illiterate nut job

What were their thoughts on someone wearing a green jersey and picking up a football not being a goalkeeper ?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 20:01

Nameless
Snowball
Nameless

What were their thoughts on someone wearing a green jersey and picking up a football not being a goalkeeper ?

I didn't ask. After I told them a lot of people think Y is a vowel,
the laughter overcame them all

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 20:01

Snowball
Nameless
Snowball

I should add, that I said I agreed with them, other than the political slur

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Sep 2020 20:42

This would be a really promising signing. If we manage to get Ng, Gibson and Riquelme in this week it’s really not just a ‘sh!t or bust‘ approach from the owners.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2020 21:05

royalp-we This would be a really promising signing. If we manage to get Ng, Gibson and Riquelme in this week it’s really not just a ‘sh!t or bust‘ approach from the owners.

Ng apparently represented by a certain Joorabichan, if that ads weight to any move.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Sep 2020 21:40

royalp-we This would be a really promising signing. If we manage to get Ng, Gibson and Riquelme in this week it’s really not just a ‘sh!t or bust‘ approach from the owners.

..... fitness CBAP

....Yes ..... it seems the poor chap might have an underlying health issue :?

Irritable Vowel Syndrome :x :lol: :lol:

Skitters back to to GF

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Sep 2020 23:12

Fast becoming one of the worst threads to ever grace this portal. And that’s saying something.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 08:02

WoodleyRoyal Fast becoming one of the worst threads to ever grace this portal. And that’s saying something.

Ngdeed.