January window

339 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January window

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2021 17:13

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Agree with Stranded and Nameless, just to break down the squad a bit, I think you can see that with a bit of shuffling we've got plenty of cover.

GK: Cabral / Southwood / Walker
RB: Yiadom / Holmes / Esteves / Araruna
LB: Richards / McIntyre / Bristow / Esteves
CB: 2 of Morrison / Holmes / McIntyre / Moore
CM: 2 of Rinomhota / Laurent / Semedo / Swift / Ejaria / Tetek
AM: Swift / Olise / Ejaria / Semedo / Aluko
RF: Meite / Olise / Aluko
LF: Ejaria / Aluko / Olise / Baldock
ST: Joao / Meite / Puscas / Baldock

There's a lot of flexibility in the squad that means we don't need as many different players for each position, which means we can keep a tighter squad and people happier

I was unaware we were allowed to field Wimbledon goalkeepers :wink:

Did I miss someone going somewhere? Fair enough

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Feb 2021 19:58

Being linked to Everton midfielder Mo Besic, don't think they will be in any hurry to do any deals with us after the young keeper disaster and Gibson sat on the bench most games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Feb 2021 20:34

windermereROYAL Being linked to Everton midfielder Mo Besic, don't think they will be in any hurry to do any deals with us after the young keeper disaster and Gibson sat on the bench most games.

Besic is so out of favour there they'll drive him to us if we want him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2021 21:53

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Agree with Stranded and Nameless, just to break down the squad a bit, I think you can see that with a bit of shuffling we've got plenty of cover.

There's a lot of flexibility in the squad that means we don't need as many different players for each position, which means we can keep a tighter squad and people happier

I was unaware we were allowed to field Wimbledon goalkeepers :wink:

Did I miss someone going somewhere? Fair enough

Walker has left the club, Anderson is out on loan so we’re down to our wonderkid as cover for the keepers...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Feb 2021 00:54

Has Gibson been recalled?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 01:03

windermereROYAL

Has Gibson been recalled?

There were talks of Everton recalling him for more first team action but didn’t happen in the end

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 01:06

Would have been nice to bring in a couple of players that could contribute to the last 20 games (winger especially) but not too fussed considering this group of players have achieved a lot more than one would have expected at the beginning of the season

Also, aside from the 2019 January window, our January signings have turned out to be pretty poor in recent years. Masika, Martin, Elphick, Popa, Oxford, Mutch etc

This transfer policy of making sure the player fits the club is certainly preferable to just buying players for the sake of it - long may it continue

Delboy

by Delboy » 02 Feb 2021 06:36

Pleased Richards did not sign for Bayern Munich hope we give him and McIntyre a contract now

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Feb 2021 06:57

Delboy Pleased Richards did not sign for Bayern Munich hope we give him and McIntyre a contract now

I know it’s just a turn of phrase, but I don’t think there has ever been a doubt that we would offer them contracts. The issue these days is whether players will sign new deals. If Richards genuinely has the option of going to one of the biggest clubs in the world with a wage that would be several times what we could offer then why would he not take it ?
The power is entirely in the hands of the player.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Feb 2021 07:50

How much do you think Bournemouth are paying for Long? Too much for our FFP situation? He'd have been great backup for Joao and presumably would have jumped at the chance to come back if we were interested.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2021 08:28

Delboy Pleased Richards did not sign for Bayern Munich hope we give him and McIntyre a contract now

Richards can sign a pre-contract agreement with Bayern anytime as he has less than 6 months left on his deal here, doesn’t have to be in the transfer window.

He was never leaving in this window, especially not on a free.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Feb 2021 08:37

Even though the window has now slammed shut we can still bring in free agents.Was anyone released during the window who might be worth considering?

Also, does the pre-contract agreement thing exist the other way round as in can we approach players outside England who are in their last 6 months?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2021 08:41

tbh I'm more than happy that there was no ins or outs of any note

Squad is fine, we have cover everywhere and don't see the need or desire to try to change whats working. Only 20 games to go now - Puscas , meite and Yiadom back in the frame should give us a huge boost. We also had that little winter break which should have done wonders in keeping them relatively fresh

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2021 09:06

morganb
Also, does the pre-contract agreement thing exist the other way round as in can we approach players outside England who are in their last 6 months?

I think it does, but I am not 100% sure.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Feb 2021 10:26

Hendo
morganb

It does. It is a right guaranteed by the Bosman ruling. It only applies to international transfers as those are regulated by FIFA. Domestic transfers are regulated by the FA, who in this country restrict them to one month in order to reduce conflicts of interest. If, for example, Richards signed a pre-contract with Stoke, then in Saturday’s match he would have a conflict.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2021 10:30

SCIAG
Hendo
morganb

It does. It is a right guaranteed by the Bosman ruling. It only applies to international transfers as those are regulated by FIFA. Domestic transfers are regulated by the FA, who in this country restrict them to one month in order to reduce conflicts of interest. If, for example, Richards signed a pre-contract with Stoke, then in Saturday’s match he would have a conflict.

What about teams playing in Europe? For example Liverpool looking to take someone from Bayern with both teams still in Champions League. Would there still be a conflict there, although I guess the chances of playing someone is pretty low given the random nature of the draw etc...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Feb 2021 10:35

Hendo
SCIAG
Hendo

What about teams playing in Europe? For example Liverpool looking to take someone from Bayern with both teams still in Champions League. Would there still be a conflict there, although I guess the chances of playing someone is pretty low given the random nature of the draw etc...

Arguably yes, although much less of one - Richards might have reason to want Stoke to get promoted at Reading’s expense, but he doesn’t have a reason to want Bayern to win the CL at Reading’s expense. In any case, FIFA don’t care. It’s the same with loan deals. We couldn’t use Gibson in a match against Everton, but we could use Semedo or Esteves against their clubs.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Feb 2021 10:46

Everton want to terminate the contract of Muhamed Bešić. Reading we’re trying to sign the Bosnian on deadline day but couldn’t get the deal over the line.

IF Bešić agrees to terminate his contract he would become a free agent. I also believe he hasn’t trained once since Carlo Ancelotti has been at Everton. So that suggests it’s likely his contract will be terminated too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RossAftbl/st ... 5353657352

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Feb 2021 10:56

Was surprised to see that Ady had a bit of a spat with LordCKS this morning on Twitter, for a guy who is on Twitter a lot I'm surprised he hasn't realised that LordCKS is just a ball of negativity when it comes to everything Reading FC

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Feb 2021 11:01

morganb Everton want to terminate the contract of Muhamed Bešić. Reading we’re trying to sign the Bosnian on deadline day but couldn’t get the deal over the line.

IF Bešić agrees to terminate his contract he would become a free agent. I also believe he hasn’t trained once since Carlo Ancelotti has been at Everton. So that suggests it’s likely his contract will be terminated too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RossAftbl/st ... 5353657352

Clearly bollocks, but even if his contract was terminated now, he wouldn't be able to sign for anyone until the summer.

339 posts