The 4 needed in January

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

The 4 needed in January

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Dec 2020 11:22

I was just reading an article by JLow on the results of his survey on who reading should sign in January. It was concluded that the supporters wanted a wide player, Centre Back Cover and LB cover. Also with our striker issues maybe someone who can make an impact in that position aswell is something that was not needed at that point.
So how d you do it with no money and a limited amount of wages the option is still free transfers and Loans realistically with maybe one player costing a fee.
So for each of the above I would go
Wide Player - Andre Green (19 year old pacey winger will run at defences ex Aston Villa) Free Transfer
Centre Back cover - Jozo Simunovic (26 year old centre back ex Celtic) Free Transfer
LB cover - Harry Pickering (21 yr old pacey LB can cross currently Crewe) circa 1 million
CF cover - Adama Diomande (30 yr old striker last played in MLS ex Hull. a bit of a brute and can hold the ball up for support) Free transfer 6 month contract with chance of extension anyone?

But more important than all of this is sorting out the contracts of Mcintyre, Richards and Southwood to lose any of these for nothing at the end of the season would be a tragedy. they are the future of the club if kept.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The 4 needed in January

by John Smith » 15 Dec 2020 11:43

We need a new goalkeeper and urgently! The rest can wait.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Dec 2020 11:56

John Smith We need a new goalkeeper and urgently! The rest can wait.

Why?

a) there isn't anything wrong with Rafael, he is a fine 'keeper for this level
b) if we did want to bin off Rafael, Southwood should be given a shot before we get a new 'keeper in
c) it could be worse, we could have that clown Samba that Forest have

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Dec 2020 12:01

linkenholtroyal I was just reading an article by JLow on the results of his survey on who reading should sign in January. It was concluded that the supporters wanted a wide player, Centre Back Cover and LB cover. Also with our striker issues maybe someone who can make an impact in that position aswell is something that was not needed at that point.
So how d you do it with no money and a limited amount of wages the option is still free transfers and Loans realistically with maybe one player costing a fee.
Wide Player - Andre Green (19 year old pacey winger will run at defences ex Aston Villa) Free Transfer
Centre Back cover - Jozo Simunovic (26 year old centre back ex Celtic) Free Transfer
LB cover - Harry Pickering (21 yr old pacey LB can cross currently Crewe) circa 1 million
CF cover - Adama Diomande (30 yr old striker last played in MLS ex Hull. a bit of a brute and can hold the ball up for support) Free transfer 6 month contract with chance of extension anyone?

But more important than all of this is sorting out the contracts of Mcintyre, Richards and Southwood to lose any of these for nothing at the end of the season would be a tragedy. they are the future of the club if kept.

Good bit of research and suggestions there Linkenholt.
Middlesboro have shown by taking Whatmore off the scrap heap that money does not have to be the over-riding issue and that there are players out there capable of doing a job.

I like the idea of a lump of a central striker, especially with Joao's injury record, as the system wouldn't have to change whereas at the moment there is just the option of a completely different player in Baldock.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Dec 2020 12:12

Norwood wasn't in the squad for United last game :?: - not going to happen but would be a different player to Laurent and Rinomhota and perhaps a different option against teams that play deep

As mentioned before, could be an idea to sign 1/2 wingers as another dimension to the game, heck I'd even take Popa back :wink:

Difficult one up top as Joao always seems susceptible to picking up knocks and Puscas has been out a while. I think Baldock's work external to the pitch is valuable but not sure that's enough to justify what's probably a relatively higher wage so possibly look at another striker

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Dec 2020 12:20

South Coast Royal
linkenholtroyal I was just reading an article by JLow on the results of his survey on who reading should sign in January. It was concluded that the supporters wanted a wide player, Centre Back Cover and LB cover. Also with our striker issues maybe someone who can make an impact in that position aswell is something that was not needed at that point.

Good bit of research and suggestions there Linkenholt.
Middlesboro have shown by taking Whatmore off the scrap heap that money does not have to be the over-riding issue and that there are players out there capable of doing a job.

I like the idea of a lump of a central striker, especially with Joao's injury record, as the system wouldn't have to change whereas at the moment there is just the option of a completely different player in Baldock.

Thanks South Coast I was thinking the Jason Roberts effect, an aging player who could do a job and would take a 6 month punt, Diomande fits the mould the club plays in to hold the ball up and bring the style players into play. I hope we don't spend stupid money on another striker when we have many options already and not address other areas.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Dec 2020 12:25

dont think we need cb cover personally.

Moore
Morrison
Gibson
Holmes
Mcintyre

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2020 12:29

We've looked at Piggott at AFC W before, and I think he'd be worth a look again. Not sure his contract situation atm though. A Joao-light is probably our priority I think.

IF Semedo is being viewed as an attacking player, then we might need to do something to cover Rino/Laurent

I'm not that bothered about bringing anyone in specifically - I think we'll just have to make a call come January on the ability of the players fitness wise to see us through the rest of the season. Ie, what extent can we rely on Swift, Joao, Meite, Puscas etc to get through the rest of the season.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Dec 2020 13:04

WoodleyRoyal dont think we need cb cover personally.

Moore
Morrison
Gibson
Holmes
Mcintyre

Agreed. Would say we need LB cover, but worth seeing how Gibson gets on in the next few weeks.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Dec 2020 13:25

Priority has to be a Joao “clone” and a pacey direct winger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2020 14:34

'pacey winger' Riquelme has managed a grand total of 112 mins this season. Maybe we can bring him back

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Dec 2020 14:52

Hound 'pacey winger' Riquelme has managed a grand total of 112 mins this season. Maybe we can bring him back

Just because it's not working for him there doesn't mean he wouldn't have worked out here tbf

Stanislas, Brooks and Danjuma have all had decent seasons, found it difficult to get in and as someone who's young and not used to the division, he clearly needs more of a sustained run, something he may have been afforded here given Meite's, Swift's and Ejaria's various injuries

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Dec 2020 15:22

Hound 'pacey winger' Riquelme has managed a grand total of 112 mins this season. Maybe we can bring him back

As URRRZZ said, they do have some fair options already.

He came on for 20 minutes in their 5-0 thrashing of Huddersfield along with another winger who is still at school and is just 16 (memories of Lawrie Sanchez).
Interesting, having discussed elsewhere about how many Academy players were in the squad the other day for us-Bournemouth had 6 on Saturday.

It does feel that, apart from some of the big clubs, most other clubs are focusing on giving their home-growns more of a chance.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Dec 2020 15:24

How is Daniel Sturridge a free transfer?

I mean... at 31, he could probably do a job in the Chump... and must be looking for a place to play... surely he'd come for a relatively small pay packet? (Compared to what he's normally on)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2020 15:38

URZZZZ

Just because it's not working for him there doesn't mean he wouldn't have worked out here tbf

Stanislas, Brooks and Danjuma have all had decent seasons, found it difficult to get in and as someone who's young and not used to the division, he clearly needs more of a sustained run, something he may have been afforded here given Meite's, Swift's and Ejaria's various injuries

I was being serious. Pauno obvs fancied him

and yes reading back, it looks like i was being sarcastic

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Dec 2020 16:34

WoodleyRoyal dont think we need cb cover personally.

Moore
Morrison
Gibson
Holmes
Mcintyre

Agreed.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Dec 2020 16:39

skipper How is Daniel Sturridge a free transfer?

I mean... at 31, he could probably do a job in the Chump... and must be looking for a place to play... surely he'd come for a relatively small pay packet? (Compared to what he's normally on)

Good shout, what’s his injury record like over the last couple of years though? I forgot he even still existed!! Must be a reason no one else has taken him.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Dec 2020 17:06

WoodleyRoyal
skipper How is Daniel Sturridge a free transfer?

Good shout, what’s his injury record like over the last couple of years though? I forgot he even still existed!! Must be a reason no one else has taken him.

Wages, attitude, injuries I expect. Same as Wilshire.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Dec 2020 18:33

Hendo
John Smith We need a new goalkeeper and urgently! The rest can wait.

Why?

a) there isn't anything wrong with Rafael, he is a fine 'keeper for this level
b) if we did want to bin off Rafael, Southwood should be given a shot before we get a new 'keeper in
c) it could be worse, we could have that clown Samba that Forest have

There’s a lot wrong with Rafael, he’s poor and was totally at fault for our defeats vs. Coventry and Birmingham.

Southwood could be given a chance but we can do better with a proven keeper.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Dec 2020 19:02

Sydney van Hooijdonk