Olise being sold for £8m?

471 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Olise being sold for £8m?

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Dec 2020 20:39

Nameless
Sutekh If there is such a clause then Reading are basically screwed in January. We shall see.

Who can Reading get as a replacement for £8m?

You’d think we’d get about 4 or 5 decent players for that....
Pretty disgraceful behaviour from Jose and Bowen if true, you would think both would have signed confidentiality agreements as part of any settlement after they left.

Think his agent would've let people know long before Bowen and Gomes. Still think if it was true a deal would've been done by now, but that could be wishful thinking.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Dec 2020 20:46

Pepe the Horseman
Nameless
Sutekh If there is such a clause then Reading are basically screwed in January. We shall see.

Who can Reading get as a replacement for £8m?

Pretty disgraceful behaviour from Jose and Bowen if true, you would think both would have signed confidentiality agreements as part of any settlement after they left.

Think his agent would've let people know long before Bowen and Gomes. Still think if it was true a deal would've been done by now, but that could be wishful thinking.

Still if they discuss commercially sensitive info to a press source it is pretty poor.
Agree that if he were available for that a club would have put a deposit down some time ago and got him committed in some way. Can clubs sign forward dated agreements outside the transfer window?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Dec 2020 23:02

Where are we seeing the Bowen/Gomes comments? Or is it just twitter guff?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Dec 2020 23:12

Nameless
Pepe the Horseman
Nameless

Still if they discuss commercially sensitive info to a press source it is pretty poor.
Agree that if he were available for that a club would have put a deposit down some time ago and got him committed in some way. Can clubs sign forward dated agreements outside the transfer window?

In at least Bowen's case, I doubt he feels the least bit of loyalty to the people who unceremoniously replaced him without even sacking him two weeks before the season started after doing a good job.

JR

by JR » 26 Dec 2020 23:20

Jagermesiter1871 Where are we seeing the Bowen/Gomes comments? Or is it just twitter guff?

From an article in The Athletic.

It’s very good journalism normally.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 03:01

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Pepe the Horseman Think his agent would've let people know long before Bowen and Gomes. Still think if it was true a deal would've been done by now, but that could be wishful thinking.

In at least Bowen's case, I doubt he feels the least bit of loyalty to the people who unceremoniously replaced him without even sacking him two weeks before the season started after doing a good job.

Probably not, although he might have had time to think about why he was replaced and learn from it.
My point related to breaching NDAs though. He may not have signed one.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Dec 2020 08:52

This £8m seeming has almost come from nowhere, with no actual source credited, not even Sky Sources, ffs. Well in Olise’s first contact with Reading on this years edition of football manager, his release clause is £8m.

Now I’m not saying that’s correct by any stretch of the imagination, however some intern at FL247live.com or whatever it is, probably plays football manager, they reported it and it’s been picked up by other news outlets.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Dec 2020 08:59

JR
Jagermesiter1871 Where are we seeing the Bowen/Gomes comments? Or is it just twitter guff?

VP says he knows nothing about an £8m release clause in Michael’s agreement and theoretically you would expect a manager to know whether any of his players have release clauses in their agreements ahead of a transfer window.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 10:13

Sutekh
JR

VP says he knows nothing about an £8m release clause in Michael’s agreement and theoretically you would expect a manager to know whether any of his players have release clauses in their agreements ahead of a transfer window.

There would have been meltdown if the manager had advertised his star asset was available for a specific price ! If he does get sold for this magical £8 million then we can deduce VP was fibbing....
As an aside I wonder how a figure of £8 million was arrived at. Is it a multiple of his wages ? If it’s just a number plucked out of the air why would you not pick a round number like £10 million ?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Dec 2020 12:42

Nameless
Sutekh
JR

There would have been meltdown if the manager had advertised his star asset was available for a specific price ! If he does get sold for this magical £8 million then we can deduce VP was fibbing....
As an aside I wonder how a figure of £8 million was arrived at. Is it a multiple of his wages ? If it’s just a number plucked out of the air why would you not pick a round number like £10 million ?

I believe VP...that or the club hasn't told him. On the 8m figure, it's that that makes me sceptical, how did they get to that figure without knowing he was going to have this kind of season. I knew he was good but I couldn't have predicted this, especially as we have seen so many promising youngsters vanish without trace.
With regards ex managers blabbing if true....I never warmed to Gomes especially after the Talkssport interview where he said he would walk if a bigger club came along (literally having just joined the club). 15 jobs in 17 years (not including the assistant ones in between) suggests his loyalty and bullshitting would mean he would blab.....
With Bowen, I felt he was a bit too comfortable at the club. Who knows what his new role would entail if he had stayed but I get the impression the club may have seen too much and another season of rubbish football and being at the wrong end of the table. So he might have an axe to grind. Anyway...who knows....the owner wants Olise to stay and I suspect they might even knock up a deal to keep him tied til the summer. I personally can't see him going.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Dec 2020 12:46

Ascotexgunner
Nameless
Sutekh

I believe VP...that or the club hasn't told him. On the 8m figure, it's that that makes me sceptical, how did they get to that figure without knowing he was going to have this kind of season. I knew he was good but I couldn't have predicted this, especially as we have seen so many promising youngsters vanish without trace.
With regards ex managers blabbing if true....I never warmed to Gomes especially after the Talkssport interview where he said he would walk if a bigger club came along (literally having just joined the club). 15 jobs in 17 years (not including the assistant ones in between) suggests his loyalty and bullshitting would mean he would blab.....
With Bowen, I felt he was a bit too comfortable at the club. Who knows what his new role would entail if he had stayed but I get the impression the club may have seen too much and another season of rubbish football and being at the wrong end of the table. So he might have an axe to grind. Anyway...who knows....the owner wants Olise to stay and I suspect they might even knock up a deal to keep him tied til the summer. I personally can't see him going.

Also given the reticence to sell anyone half good, let alone a vital upcoming talent like Olise, I find it hard to believe that the owners would even countenance agreeing a release clause in a contract let alone agree to one for such a paltry amount.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Dec 2020 20:54

Article in question;

Michael Olise picked up the ball deep on the right touchline, deftly controlling a slightly errant pass. He had two defenders on him instantly, the sort of special treatment that a glowing talent like him has come to expect, even though this was on his 19th birthday and he only really established himself as a first-team regular midway through the previous season.

It was the 89th minute of an away game against Queens Park Rangers in November. The score was 0-0 and the west Londoners were digging in, seemingly settling for a point; not unreasonably so against a Reading team who were 12 points and 13 places higher in the table. Just shut down this nascent attack. Hold on and take the draw.

Olise headed down the line, seemingly running straight into the narrow channel that his two markers, Macauley Bonne and Niko Hamalainen, wanted him to run into. Then came a sudden snap of his hips, a near-180-degree turn and a flick back with his left foot. Olise had rope-a-doped the two QPR players into opening up a pocket of space inside, into which he moved before playing a sharp one-two with Tom McIntyre as Bonne scrambled to recover the situation.

From there, things were straightforward: all Olise had to do was lope infield, pull back his left foot and pass the ball into the corner of the net from nearly 30 yards out.

This was just the latest bit of brilliance from Olise, probably the most promising attacking talent in the Championship right now, and there’s plenty more where that came from.

“He was maybe the most wonderful and fantastic talent I’ve worked with,” Jose Gomes, the former Reading manager who gave Olise his senior debut, tells The Athletic. “And look — I’ve worked with very strong academies, at Porto, Benfica, Panathinaikos, Malaga, with a lot of important and big talents.”

The son of Nigerian parents, Olise was born in France and represented them at the Toulon Tournament last summer, but is eligible for England, where he grew up. Nominally, he’s a No 10 but you could stick him anywhere across the attacking line and he’d probably still be the best player on the pitch.

“Michael is really special,” continues Gomes. “He can see, even before receiving the ball, more options than regular players. His technical ability and speed, decision capacity is really, really good.”

He’s a player made for a YouTube compilation, who constantly looks like he’s showing off for someone in the crowd. These sound like insults but they’re a crucial part of his game. He’s productive alongside the flamboyance.

He has seven assists to his name this season, the most of any player in the Championship, placing him ahead of proven Premier League creators such as Emiliano Buendia (six assists), David Brooks (five) and Harry Wilson (four). In the opening weeks of the season, Reading were a tricky team to get a handle on. They were a side who had taken the fewest shots in the division but only dropped two points in their first eight games, but when you’ve got a creator pinging in pinpoint set pieces or drawing three men to leave a colleague in acres of space, or playing absurd reverse passes through gaps water might think twice about penetrating, then you might not actually need many shots to score.

In terms of gait and running style, he resembles a left-footed Jesse Lingard. However, there are more tricks — lots more tricks. The way he teases defenders by showing them just enough of the ball before flicking it away is cruel, almost like dangling a treat for a dog but jerking it out of reach just as the gullible pet/defender jumps for it. Simply put, he often looks like he’s taking the piss. He’s the sort of player that you’d watch and think, “I bet he gets kicked a lot in training”. And, as it turns out, you’d be right.

“At times, he had this little bit of arrogance about him in training,” says Mark Bowen, the man who was Reading’s director of football and then replaced Gomes last year. “If he overstepped the mark with it, which he did once or twice, you’d have players like a Liam Moore, who would fly in and leave something on him.”

Being hoofed in the air by a hoary old veteran might discourage some youngsters, but Olise isn’t among them.

“The one thing that really stood out for me was even during those training sessions, if he got clobbered or clumped by any player, he would bounce straight back up. That was unusual because young players coming in, they’re often a little bit of a shrinking violet. He wasn’t like that. He would basically get back up, wipe himself down and get on with things. I thought, ‘That shows he’s got a good level of maturity’.”

On top of everything else, Olise is potentially a bargain. The Athletic understands he has an £8 million release clause in his contract, meaning that even in these times of COVID-straitened budgets, he wouldn’t even be that much of a risk for any Premier League club who’d like a rough but still sparkling diamond to polish some more. Spurs have been watching him for some time and half the Premier League have been credited with an interest.

The obvious question to ask is, in this world of sophisticated scouting operations, where big clubs seem to know who the best young talents at EFL clubs are before the clubs themselves do, if he’s this good, why hasn’t Olise been snapped up before? And, indeed, why was he not signed up by the academies of Chelsea and Manchester City, where he spent some time earlier in his career?

Bowen explains, about watching Olise playing for Reading’s reserves: “He’d be playing in a wide area and do a little bit of brilliance, but then lose the ball. And then he’d walk back. You could see in his mind it would almost be, ‘Yeah, OK, it didn’t happen today but I didn’t really want to be here. It’s reserve-team football’.” It took a while to actually get into him that every game he plays. There are people watching him.

“I said, ‘Those are the times when you’ve got to be running harder than everybody else, working harder than everybody else. If things aren’t going right for you on the ball, then those people who think you’re a good player will still come back and forgive you that’.”

Elements of those concerns still linger. Current Reading manager Veljko Paunovic left him out of a few games recently and offered a hint as to why when he said: “You can expect, from the young players, a certain lack of understanding of the big picture.” But it’s perhaps telling that in two of the games Olise has come off the bench, he’s provided a goal and an assist.

“We cannot forget he’s a kid,” says Gomes. “He’s very young, he’s growing and he needs a lot of support. Because without this support, maybe he cannot show all of this talent.”

Olise will be playing in the Premier League sooner or later. It could be January, it might be after that. At the moment, it just feels like a question of which club will make the decisive move, rather than whether any of them will.

“He deserves everything,” says Gomes. “If my words can give him strength and confidence, it’s my obligation to do it.”

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Dec 2020 21:40

Olise has replied to a Sky Sports tweet around the release clause with a row of crying with laughter Emojis.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 21:46

The claim makes that either Gomes or Bowen has confirmed a release clause is not supported by that article.
There is no source attributed to support the claim.
Of course it may be they confirmed it off the record but if the original suggestion that either of them had inside knowledge was based on what was written then it has nothing to support it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Dec 2020 21:59

Stranded Olise has replied to a Sky Sports tweet around the release clause with a row of crying with laughter Emojis.

Fake...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Dec 2020 23:35

On that article from Bowen.....re training
“If he overstepped the mark with it, which he did once or twice, you’d have players like a Liam Moore, who would fly in and leave something on him.”

I really don't wanna hear this when you look at our injury list.

Even funnier was the Jessie Lindgard comparison.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Dec 2020 06:22

Pepe the Horseman
Stranded Olise has replied to a Sky Sports tweet around the release clause with a row of crying with laughter Emojis.

Fake...

Ah fair enough.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2020 08:28

Ascotexgunner On that article from Bowen.....re training
“If he overstepped the mark with it, which he did once or twice, you’d have players like a Liam Moore, who would fly in and leave something on him.”

I really don't wanna hear this when you look at our injury list.

Even funnier was the Jessie Lindgard comparison.

The description of Moore as a ‘hoary old veteran’ is amusing. Might have worked for Morrison but Moore is 27 !

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Dec 2020 13:05

Nameless The claim makes that either Gomes or Bowen has confirmed a release clause is not supported by that article.
There is no source attributed to support the claim.
Of course it may be they confirmed it off the record but if the original suggestion that either of them had inside knowledge was based on what was written then it has nothing to support it.

Yeah, struggling to see any concrete evidence there.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 29 Dec 2020 13:08

471 posts