Olise being sold for £8m?

471 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Olise being sold for £8m?

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 12:17

Norfolk Royal
SCIAG
Norfolk Royal I know Sky were saying last night that they understand there is a release clause but I'm still dubious until proven otherwise.

Have to say I would never have had agreed to a release clause for a young player who had not yet broken into the first team to any effect. Crazy to do so.

Release clauses are more often used for stars like Messi, Neymar, etc, to either scare off suitors or allow them an escape route if so desired are they not?

Players in the Spanish leagues have to have release clauses so they’re not “used” to do anything. The exact value they’re set at could send various messages, but just having the clause is obligatory.

If Olise’s agent insisted on one then agreeing to it was fairly low-risk. Very little chance that anyone would agree to pay £8m for Olise at the time that we offered him that deal, wouldn’t it be our record outgoing fee? It was much more likely that we ended up releasing him for no fee. If the alternative was him walking away and signing for Brentford or Oxford with a release clause then it was a good decision.

Unfortunately that decision, if there is a clause, has been proved spectacularly wrong.

In a choice between the player signing for someone else or us guaranteeing a record fee you think we made the WRONG choice ?
Perhaps we should have tried to tie him in for 5 years but bear in mind Olise has not come out of nowhere. He was at 2 of the best Academies in the world, he’ll have been on the radar of plenty of clubs and he and his agent will always have had a long term plan which would have involved playing at the highest level.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2020 12:30

Nameless
Norfolk Royal
SCIAG Players in the Spanish leagues have to have release clauses so they’re not “used” to do anything. The exact value they’re set at could send various messages, but just having the clause is obligatory.

If Olise’s agent insisted on one then agreeing to it was fairly low-risk. Very little chance that anyone would agree to pay £8m for Olise at the time that we offered him that deal, wouldn’t it be our record outgoing fee? It was much more likely that we ended up releasing him for no fee. If the alternative was him walking away and signing for Brentford or Oxford with a release clause then it was a good decision.

Unfortunately that decision, if there is a clause, has been proved spectacularly wrong.

In a choice between the player signing for someone else or us guaranteeing a record fee you think we made the WRONG choice ?
Perhaps we should have tried to tie him in for 5 years but bear in mind Olise has not come out of nowhere. He was at 2 of the best Academies in the world, he’ll have been on the radar of plenty of clubs and he and his agent will always have had a long term plan which would have involved playing at the highest level.

It may have been deemed to be the correct course of action at the time but the passage of time has proved the then valuation, if the rumours are correct, spectacularly wrong given his current valuation. That's an objective fact. I'm not saying I or anyone else has second sight, merely that the valuation has been proved wrong.

I don't know whether having a release clause was a deal breaker on Olise signing the contract or not. I would doubt it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2020 12:35

Norfolk Royal If Olise does have a release clause, and I'm far from convinced he does, how would that work?

By all accounts there are numerous clubs after him. I'm guessing they would all trigger the release clause with their bids then it would be up to the player to choose?

But is there any wriggle room for the club in conducting an auction if there are multiple bids?

I imagine a release fee is a figure that we have to accept if the player wants to talk to the team submitting it.

So probably only with Olise's cooperation, which maybe we could offer him a slice of the fee, but then any club could just offer him the equivalent in signing fee and stick to the release amount, so I doubt it.

If there's a release fee I don't see how we get anything above it, unless it includes a requirement for a big sell on fee and the buying club doesn't want that, but will offer a substantially higher upfront fee at our current valuation instead. Which seems unlikely.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Dec 2020 13:08

Norfolk Royal I know Sky were saying last night that they understand there is a release clause but I'm still dubious until proven otherwise.

Have to say I would never have had agreed to a release clause for a young player who had not yet broken into the first team to any effect. Crazy to do so.

Release clauses are more often used for stars like Messi, Neymar, etc, to either scare off suitors or allow them an escape route if so desired are they not?

There is no smoke without some fire therefore it is highly likely there is some sort of release clause in Michael’s agreement eg. £8.5m

This means that any club interested in signing him just has to meet that valuation and then it’s down to the player and his agent to talk to that club and agree terms or, instead, turn them down and stay at Reading. There cannot be any sort of bidding war as the value in the contract is the release clause and therefore is the maximum Reading would get.

All Reading can do is wait to see if Michael rejects any terms offered and also put a new agreement in front of him in an effort to tempt him to stay.

At the end of the day though, if the interest from Liverpool is real then that’s that as there’s no way a youngster is going to turn down an offer from that sort of club and spend the rest of their life thinking “if only....”.

May well be likely though that Michael comes back on loan, like Michael Hector did when he went off to Chelsea. Wonder if you could have a release clause that stipulates an amount as well as the player being loaned back....?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Dec 2020 13:11

Hound Could be a number of options I suppose. Normally you have to accept a bid above the clause so realistically it wouldn’t end up being much more than the minimum

Fair bit of talk about him being loaned back last night. Can certainly see that happening - 10m plus we keep him for the season

And have the first refusal on a season loan the following season

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Dec 2020 13:32

Sutekh

There is no smoke without some fire therefore it is highly likely there is some sort of release clause in Michael’s agreement eg. £8.5m

This means that any club interested in signing him just has to meet that valuation and then it’s down to the player and his agent to talk to that club and agree terms or, instead, turn them down and stay at Reading. There cannot be any sort of bidding war as the value in the contract is the release clause and therefore is the maximum Reading would get.

All Reading can do is wait to see if Michael rejects any terms offered and also put a new agreement in front of him in an effort to tempt him to stay.

At the end of the day though, if the interest from Liverpool is real then that’s that as there’s no way a youngster is going to turn down an offer from that sort of club and spend the rest of their life thinking “if only....”.

May well be likely though that Michael comes back on loan, like Michael Hector did when he went off to Chelsea. Wonder if you could have a release clause that stipulates an amount as well as the player being loaned back....?

Don't the clubs have to agree to sell first, ie request permission to talk to the player? And if so can't we say no?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 13:46

PieEater
Sutekh

Don't the clubs have to agree to sell first, ie request permission to talk to the player? And if so can't we say no?

No, that is the point of a release clause. The club commits to allowing a player to leave if another club pays a predetermined price.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2020 14:56

Sutekh Wonder if you could have a release clause that stipulates an amount as well as the player being loaned back....?

You can put almost anything in a contract if both parties agree. In practice I don’t see anyone agreeing to that sort of thing or it being a priority for the club. Put it this way - right now are you concerned about us getting Dejan Tetek back on loan?

gurru991

by gurru991 » 31 Dec 2020 15:20

I'm not 100% sure on this but I understand that if more than one club offers the buy out clause amount it can then become a highest bid situation.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 15:59

SCIAG
Sutekh Wonder if you could have a release clause that stipulates an amount as well as the player being loaned back....?

You can put almost anything in a contract if both parties agree. In practice I don’t see anyone agreeing to that sort of thing or it being a priority for the club. Put it this way - right now are you concerned about us getting Dejan Tetek back on loan?

Would be a really odd clause and no agent would agree to it. Imagine if Liverpool came looking and saw a player as likely to play first team games. Player gets his move but is forced to stay with the selling club meaning he misses out on a league medal, European glory and a surprise call up for a full cap.
The key to a contract is ithas to work for both parties.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Dec 2020 19:17

If it is say 8.5m, I hope it can only be triggered by an offer paying the full amount now and not based on X,Y or Z happening down the line.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Dec 2020 20:16

Stranded If it is say 8.5m, I hope it can only be triggered by an offer paying the full amount now and not based on X,Y or Z happening down the line.

Pretty sure this is the case. Money has to all come through the door on day 1, with no contingent payments or clever structuring.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2020 20:52

Sutekh

This is the twitter age. There's constantly smoke without fire.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jan 2021 07:44

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded If it is say 8.5m, I hope it can only be triggered by an offer paying the full amount now and not based on X,Y or Z happening down the line.

Pretty sure this is the case. Money has to all come through the door on day 1, with no contingent payments or clever structuring.

If it is then wouldn't be too unhappy. Rather that than a headline 15m, where we get 3m up front and the rest over time or based on apps etc.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Jan 2021 12:15

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

If it is then wouldn't be too unhappy. Rather that than a headline 15m, where we get 3m up front and the rest over time or based on apps etc.

Presumably the figure is a bare minimum so if , for example, 3 clubs were in for him the price could be forced up through competition?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2021 12:33

South Coast Royal
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Pretty sure this is the case. Money has to all come through the door on day 1, with no contingent payments or clever structuring.

Presumably the figure is a bare minimum so if , for example, 3 clubs were in for him the price could be forced up through competition?

No, the figure is effectively also a maximum (assuming complete information). If one club bids the exact fee then another club just has to match the fee. We cannot start a bidding war. Olise would be able to pit suitors against each other for wages, but we would be obligated to accept any bids for the release clause.

Of course, if the fee is actually £5m and everyone thinks it is £8m and so bids £8m then that’s £3m in the bank. But “outbidding” a club who has met the clause is not beneficial.

As for structuring - I don’t think the fee will necessarily be up front, but it wouldn’t be contingent. Nearly all fees are paid in instalments. Without actually knowing the wording of the clause it is impossible to say but I wouldn’t be confident that it guarantees upfront payment.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Jan 2021 12:36

South Coast Royal
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Pretty sure this is the case. Money has to all come through the door on day 1, with no contingent payments or clever structuring.

Nope, the 8.5 million or whatever it is buys an interview with Olise! All the competition would be for what they can offer him. I suppose he might request extra money to be paid to the club, rather than himself, but honestly, would you?

If three clubs meet the release clause, then he can choose between those three clubs, and staying at Reading. He's the one with the power. To be fair, he's the one with the talent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2021 13:00

muirinho
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Nope, the 8.5 million or whatever it is buys an interview with Olise! All the competition would be for what they can offer him. I suppose he might request extra money to be paid to the club, rather than himself, but honestly, would you?

If three clubs meet the release clause, then he can choose between those three clubs, and staying at Reading. He's the one with the power. To be fair, he's the one with the talent.

Yep that pretty much

Where we might benefit is if he wanted to keep playing for us for the season and one of the clubs offered that option

Not sure that will be at the front of his mind though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jan 2021 14:37

Although, didn't Suraez have a release clause of £20m or so in his Liverpool contract as Arsenal offered a quid more. They were told to f-off and they eventually sold him for much more to Barca, so even a release clause may mean very little.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jan 2021 14:57

Stranded Although, didn't Suraez have a release clause of £20m or so in his Liverpool contract as Arsenal offered a quid more. They were told to f-off and they eventually sold him for much more to Barca, so even a release clause may mean very little.

As I understand the Suarez issue he felt that HE was disrespected by the Arsenal offer

471 posts