Rumour - Richards to Everton

307 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Richards to Everton

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Jan 2021 11:18

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal Is Richards a local boy and childhood fan like Holmes and McIntyre? Or brought into our academy from further afield like Rinomhota and Olise?

Either way, if he is happy here, playing well and improving as a player there is every incentive to stay when compared with sitting on the bench at the likes of Palace. At his age he has plenty of time to reach the PL. Admittedly if the Munich rumour is true these reports of a new contract could still fall through.

I wonder if all the rumours were a bit of agent noise to secure a better wage, which have probably succeeded.

I think getting regular football at the top end of the Championship is better long-term for his career than being a bit part player in a stronger league.

Agree in most cases, but a chance to join Bayern is huge. Training with some of the best players in the world, experience of being part of a massive club. Possibly some loans to lower Bundesliga teams. Even if he only makes 2 or 3 cup appearances, it could be a good move for him.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Jan 2021 11:44

Nameless
tidus_mi2
Nameless I know the rules for English clubs signing overseas players have changed but what are the rules going the other way now ? Richards is a non international, non EU passport holder. What criteria would he need to meet to get a working visa to play for an EU club (if any) ?

I did look this up yesterday because I was curious as well and it seems the Bundesliga has very minimal laws about signing non-EU players, I believe you just can't sign non-EU players who are under the age of 18.
k

SO it’s entirely down to the league ?
No EU restrictions on movement or employment for non EU nationals ?

I think the 'new' restrictions we have are those imposed by the UK as a whole, as opposed to the relevant league

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Jan 2021 11:49

Nameless
tidus_mi2
Nameless I know the rules for English clubs signing overseas players have changed but what are the rules going the other way now ? Richards is a non international, non EU passport holder. What criteria would he need to meet to get a working visa to play for an EU club (if any) ?

I did look this up yesterday because I was curious as well and it seems the Bundesliga has very minimal laws about signing non-EU players, I believe you just can't sign non-EU players who are under the age of 18.
k

SO it’s entirely down to the league ?
No EU restrictions on movement or employment for non EU nationals ?

The EU does not have responsibility for immigration policy in the manner you are suggesting.

A national government could restrict non-EU nationals from working there, but few governments want to restrict elite sportspeople. In practice in most places it is competition rules which restrict players. Although the UK’s post-Brexit rules are imposed by the government, they’re mostly focused on players under the age of 21. As mentioned, the Bundesliga’s rules are much more relaxed than Spanish or Italian rules.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Jan 2021 11:58

from the chronic

"Sources close to Omar Richards have refuted claims that the player is close to signing a new deal at the club.

Previously, manager Veljko Paunovic has stated that the club has been working towards a new deal for both Richards and Michael Olise, alongside Tom McIntyre - who is also out of contract at the end of the campaign.

The manager has expressed his desire in previous weeks to tie down the players as part of a long-term vision at the club.

It had been understood that talks were in a good state with Richards in recent days.

However, a source has told the Reading Chronicle talks have not yet led to a concrete offer being presented to Richards or McIntyre.

This transfer window presents the last opportunity for Reading to receive a fee for any players who are out of contract in the Summer."

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jan 2021 12:21

WoodleyRoyal from the chronic

"Sources close to Omar Richards have refuted claims that the player is close to signing a new deal at the club.

Previously, manager Veljko Paunovic has stated that the club has been working towards a new deal for both Richards and Michael Olise, alongside Tom McIntyre - who is also out of contract at the end of the campaign.

The manager has expressed his desire in previous weeks to tie down the players as part of a long-term vision at the club.

It had been understood that talks were in a good state with Richards in recent days.

However, a source has told the Reading Chronicle talks have not yet led to a concrete offer being presented to Richards or McIntyre.

This transfer window presents the last opportunity for Reading to receive a fee for any players who are out of contract in the Summer."

To be fair, you wouldn't expect them to say anything else - hardly going to say yeah, nearly there lads or nah, we're off.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jan 2021 13:09

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal Is Richards a local boy and childhood fan like Holmes and McIntyre? Or brought into our academy from further afield like Rinomhota and Olise?

Either way, if he is happy here, playing well and improving as a player there is every incentive to stay when compared with sitting on the bench at the likes of Palace. At his age he has plenty of time to reach the PL. Admittedly if the Munich rumour is true these reports of a new contract could still fall through.

I wonder if all the rumours were a bit of agent noise to secure a better wage, which have probably succeeded.

I think getting regular football at the top end of the Championship is better long-term for his career than being a bit part player in a stronger league.

Agree in most cases, but a chance to join Bayern is huge. Training with some of the best players in the world, experience of being part of a massive club. Possibly some loans to lower Bundesliga teams. Even if he only makes 2 or 3 cup appearances, it could be a good move for him.

I'd weigh that up against the possibility of getting all that and more in a year's time if he's playing regularly in the Championship and continuing to develop.

It's a low risk punt for Bayern but for every Andy Rinomhota, there's 3 or 4 Rowan Liburds.

Bayern fans seem to like him though, judging by the number of "Welcome to Bayern, Omar Richards" videos on YouTube. Here's to those not aging well.

Someone asked how Bundesliga squad wages compare to senior Championship wages. Whilst I dont put a huge amount of faith in Internet sources, as far as Bayern is concerned, the basic answer seems to be "a fcuk of a lot higher", although we already knew that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2021 13:40

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?

I'd weigh that up against the possibility of getting all that and more in a year's time if he's playing regularly and continuing to develop.

It's a low risk punt for Bayern but for every Andy Rinomhota, there's 3 or 4 Rowan Liburds.

Rowan Liburd, I remember him, he’s 28 now and playing for Welling United in the NLS.

Omar Richards (born in Lewisham) was 15 when he joined Reading’s academy in 2013 (after being released by Fulham) so has been with the club for 8 years or so, therefore may well see himself almost as “Reading” as it’s possible for a player to be given he’s obviously worked at his game and been rightly given his chance to make the left back spot his own at the club now.

Issue is really the fact that the supposed interest in him is from the likes of Everton and Bayern Munich. One club is always going to be a PL club and one that does allow a fair amount of youth to flourish while the other is a world renown club that actually does win things in Europe and so if the supposed interest is followed up it’s always going to be extremely difficult for Reading to hang on to him.

Club are rightly in the midst of negotiation with Omar and his agent to see if a worthwhile offer can be made on a new deal but that will take time if there really is interest from the aforementioned clubs. Even if the interest is real those clubs may still choose to leave any move to the summer when Omar is out of contract and therefore Omar may well choose to do the same over any new deal Reading offer.

Any player, whether Reading born or not, is going to want test themselves at the highest level they can get to so, given where Reading are in the scheme of things currently, this is where the “feel good” factor at the club needs to be at its highest, and since Gomes left (and supposedly even more so since VP joined) it certainly seems to be well on the way, to make the decision as difficult as possible. But just imagine you’re in the same position as Omar what would you choose to do?

Obviously if Reading were to somehow jam promotion out of this season then it should become that much easier to persuade Omar to stay at the club - anyone got a TARDIS going spare so the club can check out the next couple of seasons?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jan 2021 14:42

I think he'd have more chance of game time at Everton and there wouldn't be the cultural issues of moving to another country.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jan 2021 14:43

From Despair To Where? I think he'd have more chance of game time at Everton and there wouldn't be the cultural issues of moving to another country.

What ?
I reckon culturally Munich would seem more like home than Liverpool !
Think of the language barrier for a start....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jan 2021 14:49

Nameless
From Despair To Where? I think he'd have more chance of game time at Everton and there wouldn't be the cultural issues of moving to another country.

What ?

Well I managed perfectly well.

Nice touch taking the piss out of Liverpool to the one person on the board who actually lives there. :wink:

I'm not offended BTW. Its a much maligned city which is actually a fcuking brilliant place to live.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Jan 2021 18:04

From Despair To Where?
Nameless

What ?

Nice touch taking the piss out of Liverpool to the one person on the board who actually lives there. :wink:

I'm not offended BTW. Its a much maligned city which is actually a fcuking brilliant place to live.

Great music scene too. I've just been sent some new music by a band called The Ks, who seem like Oasis' rightful heirs. Just a massive shame about the accent. Try asking a scouser to say teriyaki Chicken, and not absolutely piss yourself. Wonderful stuff.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jan 2021 18:05

He'd need to look in his cook book for some chicken recipes.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jan 2021 10:16

skipper
From Despair To Where?
Nameless
What ?

Great music scene too. I've just been sent some new music by a band called The Ks, who seem like Oasis' rightful heirs. Just a massive shame about the accent.

Agree, this is exactly why no bands from Liverpool will ever make it big.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jan 2021 18:51

I cannot help thinking that Richards would be making a big mistake by leaving at this time. At Bayern he will be a reserve, whereas at Reading he is one of the first names on the team sheet. If I was his agent I would advise him to sign a one year extension - which I am sure RFC would be happy to offer on much increased wages - and then see RFC end the season. That would give him some security in case of injury. If we go up RFC would no doubt be very happy to offer him a much more lucrative longer term contract and he would be playing in the PL every week.

If we don't go up he would still be in a position to move on in the summer and get his PL or overseas move. So many young players have taken the big move too early and seen their careers just go down the plughole. He would be much better served staying here where he is appreciated and becoming a top player with us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2021 19:07

Courtney Friday saying we are resigned to losing him. Disappointing news.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2021 20:01

Zip Courtney Friday saying we are resigned to losing him. Disappointing news.

I don't trust him as a source so it's cool.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2021 20:02

tidus_mi2
Zip Courtney Friday saying we are resigned to losing him. Disappointing news.

I don't trust him as a source so it's cool.

Being widely reported by loads of sources including decent journos.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2021 20:09

Seen some of the reports on Twitter, would not be happy in the slightest and unlike what seems to be the majority opinion on Twitter, I wouldn't wish him well. We're getting mugged off by one of the biggest clubs in the world when we're already struggling to meet FFP.

It just feels shit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2021 20:13

tidus_mi2 Seen some of the reports on Twitter, would not be happy in the slightest and unlike what seems to be the majority opinion on Twitter, I wouldn't wish him well. We're getting mugged off by one of the biggest clubs in the world when we're already struggling to meet FFP.

It just feels shit.

Personally I would wish him well but be seriously hacked off if we lost him on a free.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jan 2021 20:17

Its not significantly different to us getting Laurent last summer. Shit happens.

I remember when Kevin Bremner went to Brighton on a free. That felt worse.

307 posts