Rumour - Richards to Everton

307 posts
MM

Re: Rumour - Richards to Everton

by MM » 28 Feb 2021 19:52

I'm not the primary source, but I have been reliably informed that the Richards pre-contract deal with Bayern Munich is already a done deal and the news will be released officially to the press within the next few days. Disappointing for the club and the fans, but let us give him our full support for the rest of his spell at the club. That means no social media nonsense too please.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Mar 2021 16:51

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2021 16:59

A difficult one to take really, when we're in a big tussle with FFP, we've lost our highly rated left back to incredibly wealthy Champions League winners Bayern.

I believe we'll be due compensation due to his age but nowhere near what we could have hoped to get really.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2021 17:53

It’s the reality of modern football. We have the use of a player for the duration of their contract..A talented, ambitious young player knows they can wait and see if they can attract interest from clubs and if they can it will be lucrative for them. There is very little clubs at our level can do about it. I believe the club has for a long time tried to make sure players are well looked after and have the best facilities but there is no way we can offer someone like Richards the money Bayern will. Even without the money you can’tbegrudge him the chance to join a club like that. If we were losing our best youngsters to other Championship clubs it would be different. If they are going to world class clubs we can only wish them well.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 01 Mar 2021 18:38

Sad to lose him before we saw his best, but wish him well
He could be a great full back.
Hope he is treated better than Bouna Sarr..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 19:00

Shit happens sometimes.

He's come on leaps and bounds this season. No one could possibly have predicted this in July. We'd have been wondering if we really wanted to extend his contract back then, decent as he'd been.

It;s not often this will come up.

Fair play to him for earning it, and can't blame him for taking the chance to give Bayern a go. He'd be mad not to.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Mar 2021 19:32

It’s a great opportunity for Omar. I wish him all the best and hope he becomes a star.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Mar 2021 19:35

Zip It’s a great opportunity for Omar. I wish him all the best and hope he becomes a star.

Same - you don't turn down Bayern Munich

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2021 20:35

Snowflake Royal Shit happens sometimes.

He's come on leaps and bounds this season. No one could possibly have predicted this in July. We'd have been wondering if we really wanted to extend his contract back then, decent as he'd been.

It;s not often this will come up.

Fair play to him for earning it, and can't blame him for taking the chance to give Bayern a go. He'd be mad not to.

This really

If you said last season when he was behind Obita and Blackett that he’d be moving to Bayern a year later you’d not have believed it for a second

Good luck to him, shame we missed out on a transfer fee but will watch his future with interest

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 01 Mar 2021 22:19

A lot of 'if's here, but if we wanted to offer him a deal this season or last, but were hamstrung by FFP. Is there any chance of a court case against the FA?

Football is a business, and to create a rule which potentially prevents you on realising a return on an investment is wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 22:55

PistolPete A lot of 'if's here, but if we wanted to offer him a deal this season or last, but were hamstrung by FFP. Is there any chance of a court case against the FA?

Football is a business, and to create a rule which potentially prevents you on realising a return on an investment is wrong.

Is there any chance of us successfully taking legal action against the FA & FL for forcing us to comply with their rules, which we agreed to, to try to get compensation for lost revenue that we might have got if we'd maybe offered an increased contract to keep a player who wasnt especially rated at the time and eventually signs for a much bigger club?

Seems a little unlikely.

If football is just a business, better wind up a lot of the clubs, because most lose money every year. That's not really 'business'.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Mar 2021 08:43

One of the reasons why Bayern have gone in for him is that it’s very low risk. No transfer fee involved. Had they been asked to pay what we thought he was worth then I doubt they would have bothered.

It’s unfortunate. At least in the summer Baldock and Aluko will be gone but to comply with FFP we may still have to sell another one of our key players especially as our last set of accounts were appalling.

I cannot see the club being able to spend much in the summer window. We need to try and keep hold of as many as we can with McIntyre, Morrison, Southwood and Tetek out of contract. Laurent will only have one year left.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Mar 2021 09:00

Of course it would have been nice to get a fee, but that's modern day football. Personally I find this move really exciting. One of our (former) youngsters is off to join arguably the best club team in the world!! :D

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Mar 2021 09:04

Obvs can't turn down Bayern, but will be amazed if he ever plays a game for him. Hope I'm wrong, but reckon he'll be at Palace by the start of 22/23 season.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Mar 2021 09:59

Am unusually vexed by this one. I knows the rules but it seems unfair somehow that we get nothing from this as we nurtured him etc.

We took a chance on him when other Prem academies let him go didn't we.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Mar 2021 10:18

Norfolk Royal Am unusually vexed by this one. I knows the rules but it seems unfair somehow that we get nothing from this as we nurtured him etc.

We took a chance on him when other Prem academies let him go didn't we.

Started his youth career at Fulham so yes. We will get a fee of sorts for his training circa 1 million but that is a fraction of his worth to us if we get to the Premier League. All I can hope is that he puts a good show on for his last few months with us to repay the club that way and show Bayern what they are getting. I hope we sign Bristow and Samuels on longer now to see if we can develop another LB of Richards standard but I do wish we had kept Obita as there is no one to step in to that role in the summer and if we are not promoted we will be digging around in the bargain basement again for a replacement.

It also makes Mcintyre (3 year), Morrisons (1 year) and Olises (as long as we can get) signatures to new contracts more important. We will be threadbare at best next season the only up point is our academy which has saved our bacon so many times over the last few years by providing the club with players for positions without having to pay out to fill them. the key is now keeping this talent. Holmes, Mcintyre, Olise, Rinhomota etc will get us to the premiership in the end we just have to keep them at the club.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 02 Mar 2021 11:05

Snowflake Royal
PistolPete A lot of 'if's here, but if we wanted to offer him a deal this season or last, but were hamstrung by FFP. Is there any chance of a court case against the FA?

Is there any chance of us successfully taking legal action against the FA & FL for forcing us to comply with their rules, which we agreed to, to try to get compensation for lost revenue that we might have got if we'd maybe offered an increased contract to keep a player who wasnt especially rated at the time and eventually signs for a much bigger club?

Seems a little unlikely.

If football is just a business, better wind up a lot of the clubs, because most lose money every year. That's not really 'business'.

May court cases come about as a grievance to 'the rules' (John Bosman?). Football is a business, it's just a weird one!

Isn't Seb the man for stupid questions such as mine? Can someone page him for a legal thought on it?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Mar 2021 16:56

Any rumours about a loan deal back to us for next season, or is it likely that Bayern Munich want him under their wing ASAP before loaning him out in January to another German side?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2021 07:21

Mr Angry Any rumours about a loan deal back to us for next season, or is it likely that Bayern Munich want him under their wing ASAP before loaning him out in January to another German side?

Hard to see how there could be any rumours as we won’t have been in a position to raise the question.
I guess if Richards has indeed signed his precontract Pauno could talk to him and see if he was open to a loan, then we could approach Bayern but it is nothing like the situation where a club is selling a player - we simply aten’t In the conversation. Much would depend on how they see Richards fitting in, if it’s simply a question of having him on the books for a year, loaning him out and hoping to make a profit then maybe sending him back here might make some sense. If they think he might develop into a player for them I think they would either want him with their squad or playing at a higher level.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 04 Mar 2021 08:39

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Bayern to do this.
With the UK now a third country, young English talent will come at a premium to Premier League teams, so either Omar succeeds and is a star ala Jordan Sancho, or he struggles and is sold on to a middling Premier league club, like Palace for a decent fee, given his English passport.

That said, it takes more than talent and a whole lot of luck to make it, but he looks like he has the attributes

Good luck Omar

307 posts