Rumour - Richards to Everton

307 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Richards to Everton

by Hendo » 05 Jan 2021 10:04

I mean, it also takes 2 to tango...

We can't force Richards to sign a new contract, maybe we offered one and he rejected it? It's all well and good saying we must tie these players down to new contracts, but if they don't want to sign, there isn't a whole lot we can do.

Also, it is only really this year that Richards has really kicked on, he was pretty inconsistent over the last couple of years and didn't nail down the spot when Blackett and Obita were both at the club.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2021 10:07

Stranded
From Despair To Where? I'm struggling to see an obvious route to regular 1st team football with Bayern. Not sure what Bayern would pay a 4th choice LB either but he could get similar and regular football elsewhere.

TBF Bayern have taken to playing Alphonso Davies at LB of late as they don't have a fit one & they have a 17yo English player on the bench. It would be tough for him but even a year struggling to get minutes at Bayern will likely lead to a decent move in 2022 to either a PL or top European team.

Alphonso Davies has been playing left back for them for over a year, he’s a left back. Meanwhile World Cup winner Lucas Hernandez is on their bench and David Alaba is playing centre back for them. Alaba of course is out of contract this summer but it’s fair to say Richards would be fourth choice at best.

Hopefully someone puts Richards in touch with Dale Jennings.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Jan 2021 10:20

genome
Notts Royal Lol well we don’t have a chance of keeping him if Bayern want him

Another screw up from Dai...the list is growing

Because Bayern had no chance of getting him if he was in contract? :lol:

No...because we would’ve made mega bucks if we’d tied him down a year ago, when it was clear he was developing quicker (not necessarily
Better than Blackett) than the other left backs we had at the time

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Jan 2021 10:31

Hendo I mean, it also takes 2 to tango...

We can't force Richards to sign a new contract, maybe we offered one and he rejected it? It's all well and good saying we must tie these players down to new contracts, but if they don't want to sign, there isn't a whole lot we can do.

Also, it is only really this year that Richards has really kicked on, he was pretty inconsistent over the last couple of years and didn't nail down the spot when Blackett and Obita were both at the club.

But we knew Blackett would leave due to his wages and that Obita had fitness issues. I agree he has really pushed on this year, probably beyond expectations, but he was always going to be an important player for us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2021 10:55

SCIAG
Stranded
From Despair To Where? I'm struggling to see an obvious route to regular 1st team football with Bayern. Not sure what Bayern would pay a 4th choice LB either but he could get similar and regular football elsewhere.

TBF Bayern have taken to playing Alphonso Davies at LB of late as they don't have a fit one & they have a 17yo English player on the bench. It would be tough for him but even a year struggling to get minutes at Bayern will likely lead to a decent move in 2022 to either a PL or top European team.

Alphonso Davies has been playing left back for them for over a year, he’s a left back. Meanwhile World Cup winner Lucas Hernandez is on their bench and David Alaba is playing centre back for them. Alaba of course is out of contract this summer but it’s fair to say Richards would be fourth choice at best.

Davies is only playing LB so that Alaba can play CB - Alaba is playing a slightly different version of the Libero these days and won't be playing LB anytime soon. Davies was very much brought in to Bayern with a view to be a LM/LW - though with his success at LB he may well stay there.

Hernandez hasn't really looked like the same player since he ripped a ligament last season and has been in and out of the side since but improving again but there are questions as to if he fits into the way Flick wants them to play.

If Richards does move there then I would thing he would start on the bench as back up to either Davies or, if they push him forward again, Hernandez,

Of late, Bayern do have a record of finding young talent and integrating them well - Richards could well be the next one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 11:02

We don't know Richards wasnt offered a contract tbh. He may have turned it down in the summer

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jan 2021 11:09

No issues with how the club has dealt with Richards. He has made huge strides this season. It’s unfortunate it’s happened when his contract is due to expire in June but that’s how it is. It will be a big shame to lose him for nothing though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2021 11:16

Stranded
SCIAG
Stranded

Davies is only playing LB so that Alaba can play CB - Alaba is playing a slightly different version of the Libero these days and won't be playing LB anytime soon. Davies was very much brought in to Bayern with a view to be a LM/LW - though with his success at LB he may well stay there.

Hernandez hasn't really looked like the same player since he ripped a ligament last season and has been in and out of the side since but improving again but there are questions as to if he fits into the way Flick wants them to play.

If Richards does move there then I would thing he would start on the bench as back up to either Davies or, if they push him forward again, Hernandez,

Of late, Bayern do have a record of finding young talent and integrating them well - Richards could well be the next one.

Very little prospect of Davies being used on the wing again. They have Coman, Sane, and Gnabry, while Davies has established himself as probably the best left back in the world. Suspect Canada will keep using him an advanced role just like Robertson for Scotland, but he’s basically got the left back spot at Bayern nailed down for the foreseeable.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jan 2021 11:49

how much are we missing a DOF? GetReading ran a piece the other week about it and intimated that the lack of contract activity was partly down to not having one. I'm not so sure myself

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2021 13:02

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo I mean, it also takes 2 to tango...

But we knew Blackett would leave due to his wages and that Obita had fitness issues. I agree he has really pushed on this year, probably beyond expectations, but he was always going to be an important player for us.

We tried to get Blackett to stay.

We were operating under financial constraints, Richards has come on leaps and bounds and no one knows we didn't try to extend his contract.

Sometimes shit happens. You do nothing wrong and maybe you lose someone good for free.

Shrug and move on.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Jan 2021 14:27

WoodleyRoyal how much are we missing a DOF? GetReading ran a piece the other week about it and intimated that the lack of contract activity was partly down to not having one. I'm not so sure myself

More likely due to FFP during the summer/early part of the season - Pauno has said recently that the club had been trying to tie down both Richards and Olise to new deals, but if someone like Bayern come along you go and take your chance.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 05 Jan 2021 22:02

Eddie saying an extension is close to being agreed. Could still go elsewhere but contract may be signed over the coming days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2021 06:45

Be superb if so. Had written that one off

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jan 2021 07:48

I know the rules for English clubs signing overseas players have changed but what are the rules going the other way now ? Richards is a non international, non EU passport holder. What criteria would he need to meet to get a working visa to play for an EU club (if any) ?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Jan 2021 09:27

Nameless I know the rules for English clubs signing overseas players have changed but what are the rules going the other way now ? Richards is a non international, non EU passport holder. What criteria would he need to meet to get a working visa to play for an EU club (if any) ?

I did look this up yesterday because I was curious as well and it seems the Bundesliga has very minimal laws about signing non-EU players, I believe you just can't sign non-EU players who are under the age of 18.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Jan 2021 09:58

Is Richards a local boy and childhood fan like Holmes and McIntyre? Or brought into our academy from further afield like Rinomhota and Olise?

Either way, if he is happy here, playing well and improving as a player there is every incentive to stay when compared with sitting on the bench at the likes of Palace. At his age he has plenty of time to reach the PL. Admittedly if the Munich rumour is true these reports of a new contract could still fall through.

I wonder if all the rumours were a bit of agent noise to secure a better wage, which have probably succeeded.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2021 10:02

he is a London boy who was released by Fulham at 16 I think before he came here.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jan 2021 10:40

tidus_mi2
Nameless I know the rules for English clubs signing overseas players have changed but what are the rules going the other way now ? Richards is a non international, non EU passport holder. What criteria would he need to meet to get a working visa to play for an EU club (if any) ?

I did look this up yesterday because I was curious as well and it seems the Bundesliga has very minimal laws about signing non-EU players, I believe you just can't sign non-EU players who are under the age of 18.
k

SO it’s entirely down to the league ?
No EU restrictions on movement or employment for non EU nationals ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jan 2021 11:04

WestYorksRoyal Is Richards a local boy and childhood fan like Holmes and McIntyre? Or brought into our academy from further afield like Rinomhota and Olise?

Either way, if he is happy here, playing well and improving as a player there is every incentive to stay when compared with sitting on the bench at the likes of Palace. At his age he has plenty of time to reach the PL. Admittedly if the Munich rumour is true these reports of a new contract could still fall through.

I wonder if all the rumours were a bit of agent noise to secure a better wage, which have probably succeeded.

I think getting regular football at the top end of the Championship is better long-term for his career than being a bit part player in a stronger league.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jan 2021 11:08

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal Is Richards a local boy and childhood fan like Holmes and McIntyre? Or brought into our academy from further afield like Rinomhota and Olise?

I think getting regular football at the top end of the Championship is better long-term for his career than being a bit part player in a stronger league.

Short term it would be interesting to know what the wage differential would be between a squad player at Bayern and a senior pro in the championship.

307 posts