Rumour - Richards to Everton

307 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Richards to Everton

by Zip » 22 Dec 2020 16:57

WestYorksRoyal People talking about £2m as a figure given the contract. Does that not seem low?

We're 5th and could conceivably get promoted. For £2m, I'm tempted to forget about it and risk letting him go on a free in order to maximise promotion chances. Offer £5m - £6m and I'm more tempted to bank it and move on.

We are 8th tbf but £2 million was the figure that I thought we would get for him given his contract expires in the summer. We are not in strong bargaining position. It’s a steal at that price.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Dec 2020 17:10

Zip
WestYorksRoyal People talking about £2m as a figure given the contract. Does that not seem low?

We're 5th and could conceivably get promoted. For £2m, I'm tempted to forget about it and risk letting him go on a free in order to maximise promotion chances. Offer £5m - £6m and I'm more tempted to bank it and move on.

We are 8th tbf but £2 million was the figure that I thought we would get for him given his contract expires in the summer. We are not in strong bargaining position. It’s a steal at that price.

What a statement it would be if we offered him a contract that he accepted ,we kept Olise and brought in a couple of signings.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2020 17:13

South Coast Royal
Zip

What a statement it would be if we offered him a contract that he accepted ,we kept Olise and brought in a couple of signings.

Would love to see it happen Vic and build upon what is a young squad. Not sure we have the money available to offer them the sort of contracts that will keep them at the club. It would help if we could get back to winning ways so that they may still feel they can win promotion with Reading and play top flight football next season without having to move on.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Dec 2020 18:00

I'm not sure how this Brexit thing will work, but i'm sure it'll put a premium on quality young English players!! and will put a stop on us scouting the European market for average foreign players.
So to that end, we should be doing everything in our power to be keeping the likes of Olise & Richards at the club by offering top quality wages as surly it will be benefical to us in the long run.
I wouldn't be letting Richards go for $2 million, i'd rather keep him till the end of the season and gamble for the playoffs. Regarding Olise, yes i know he's French but i'm sure he can play for England if he so choose's, So make him one of our top earner's... what's to lose. Unless that $8 million buy out claus is true, and if so the club have dropped another clangger there!!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Dec 2020 19:02

Sad if he goes. Palace chasing as well. Clearly a good move for him.....for me he needed another season in the championship before thinking big.....then again it's Everton.....will he be a regular starter though?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Dec 2020 23:33

None of this “what if we lose him for nothing” nonsense. You people would have sold Sidwell. A fit Richards makes a huge difference to the side. Keep him until the summer and gamble on promotion or if we miss out then he might not be so popular. Length of the contract is irrelevant frankly, the issue is the damage that losing him would do to our squad and £2m isn’t going to cover it. Even £5m isn’t going to cover it. I’d start being tempted at £7m.

Ironically I’d probably be more tempted to sell cheaply if we got an offer we couldn’t refuse for Olise. We’d then have wiggle room to actually sign a replacement. £2m is basically £0 for all the good it would do.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2020 00:31

SCIAG None of this “what if we lose him for nothing” nonsense. You people would have sold Sidwell. A fit Richards makes a huge difference to the side. Keep him until the summer and gamble on promotion or if we miss out then he might not be so popular. Length of the contract is irrelevant frankly, the issue is the damage that losing him would do to our squad and £2m isn’t going to cover it. Even £5m isn’t going to cover it. I’d start being tempted at £7m.

Ironically I’d probably be more tempted to sell cheaply if we got an offer we couldn’t refuse for Olise. We’d then have wiggle room to actually sign a replacement. £2m is basically £0 for all the good it would do.

That’s all well and good but he may want to go especially a club like Everton.Not much point in keeping a disaffected player

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Dec 2020 09:17

SCIAG None of this “what if we lose him for nothing” nonsense. You people would have sold Sidwell. A fit Richards makes a huge difference to the side. Keep him until the summer and gamble on promotion or if we miss out then he might not be so popular. Length of the contract is irrelevant frankly, the issue is the damage that losing him would do to our squad and £2m isn’t going to cover it. Even £5m isn’t going to cover it. I’d start being tempted at £7m.

You would hope that the club have a decent sized list of targets for every position that they feel would replace any player - Sidwell was the engine room of the team so keeping him made sense - if the whole structure of our team falls down because we can't adequately replace a left back then we are probably more screwed that we realise.

The academy exists to get player to the 1st team but at this level it also exists to sell those who show they are very good to clubs at a higher level to allow us to use the proceeds to make the squad stronger. If Richards goes for 2m we could and should be able to fill a couple of holes in the squad including his replaecment.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Dec 2020 11:21

Stranded

You would hope that the club have a decent sized list of targets for every position that they feel would replace any player - Sidwell was the engine room of the team so keeping him made sense - if the whole structure of our team falls down because we can't adequately replace a left back then we are probably more screwed that we realise.

The academy exists to get player to the 1st team but at this level it also exists to sell those who show they are very good to clubs at a higher level to allow us to use the proceeds to make the squad stronger. If Richards goes for 2m we could and should be able to fill a couple of holes in the squad including his replaecment.

Showing that we can get players to our 1st team, and that they are good enough to go-on to bigger clubs, and the club has helped that rather than hindered, is actually a big selling point for the academy when it comes to local lads too. We want them to stay in Reading, not head to Chelsea or Man city or wherever.

I'd rather we sold players on who want to go, rather than hanging onto them to the last possible minute. it may grate that some will see us as a stepping stone, but in the long-run it's good for the club. Better lose these players at 21, with them having contributed to the team, and for a transfer fee, then have them leave at 16 because they think they can do better elsewhere.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Dec 2020 12:11

muirinho
Stranded

Showing that we can get players to our 1st team, and that they are good enough to go-on to bigger clubs, and the club has helped that rather than hindered, is actually a big selling point for the academy when it comes to local lads too. We want them to stay in Reading, not head to Chelsea or Man city or wherever.

I'd rather we sold players on who want to go, rather than hanging onto them to the last possible minute. it may grate that some will see us as a stepping stone, but in the long-run it's good for the club. Better lose these players at 21, with them having contributed to the team, and for a transfer fee, then have them leave at 16 because they think they can do better elsewhere.

Exactly this and if we get the reinvestment right then those who come through are doing so into a top end Champ or even PL team meaning they are likely to be better players who may help us progress. Selling/keeping is a fine balance but done well can help progress a club.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Dec 2020 14:20

South Coast Royal
Zip

Reading FC don't do statements like that

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2020 16:33

South Coast Royal
Zip

Swap for Gylfi.....?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Dec 2020 16:39

Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Zip

Swap for Gylfi.....?

I suggested that earlier when discussing the Olise to Everton idea.
So maybe we get Gibson and Gylfi, they get Olise and Richards with us receiving say cash of £6 million or so.

What with the young keeper loaned to us previously by Everton, then Gibson I wonder if Everton actually do already have a plan in mind.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Dec 2020 16:52

Sigurdsson is already a regular starter for Everton and there's no way he'll drop down to the Championship, even to us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2020 16:54

tidus_mi2 Sigurdsson is already a regular starter for Everton and there's no way he'll drop down to the Championship, even to us.

Yep zero chance of this happening.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Dec 2020 21:30

tidus_mi2 Sigurdsson is already a regular starter for Everton and there's no way he'll drop down to the Championship, even to us.

Also been their captain for the last few games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2020 12:58

Don't mind Richards going. Obviously I'd rather he stayed and signed a new deal, and £2m would be a bit disappointing. But whilst I rate him, I don't think I rate him as highly as some of you obviously do, and more importantly we've had him in the team and playing for a decent while now. 58 league starts over three and a half seasons. He's really come good this season, but certainly had his moments last season too.

What I resent is a young player breaking into the team and being sold the second they make a good impression. Olise played half a season last season, a few cameos the one before that and he's not even been an ever present this season. I don't really feel like we've got the chance to enjoy watching him yet. Same with Gylfi, we got him for one glorious season. It's not enough IMO.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Dec 2020 10:12

Stranded
muirinho
Stranded

Exactly this and if we get the reinvestment right then those who come through are doing so into a top end Champ or even PL team meaning they are likely to be better players who may help us progress. Selling/keeping is a fine balance but done well can help progress a club.

I just think that with six months left on his contract we’re going to struggle to get a meaningful fee. £2m might let us sign a replacement (it’s about what we paid for Blackett) but it’s unlikely to let us “fill other holes”.

Don’t think a swap for Gibson is likely to be viable. Everton want Gibson.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Dec 2020 21:12

SCIAG
Stranded
muirinho

I just think that with six months left on his contract we’re going to struggle to get a meaningful fee. £2m might let us sign a replacement (it’s about what we paid for Blackett) but it’s unlikely to let us “fill other holes”.

get Leighton Baines in for the rest of season (assuming he’s now fit of course). Could be an Ian Harte type moment

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Dec 2020 21:22

3points
SCIAG
Stranded

get Leighton Baines in for the rest of season (assuming he’s now fit of course). Could be an Ian Harte type moment

Baines has retired.

307 posts