Rumour - Kadeem Harris

159 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Kadeem Harris

by Sutekh » 05 Aug 2021 14:15

Scrap it altogether after all shouldn’t the fit and proper persons test be able to determine whether the owner of a club is able to run a business in a reasonable manner and without risk to it otherwise what’s the point of the fit and proper persons test in the first place?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2021 14:22

Norfolk Royal Can't help feeling the EFL should be sorting out the FFP debacle in a fairer way. Sure, there is some merit in encouraging clubs to be run sustainably or properly, but ultimately it is the fans of the club who suffer rather than the perpetrators of rule breaking and extravagance.

The fans being the one group, possibly the players as well, who do not actually deserve any punishment.

I don't actually have too much time for this argument. If Dai's money had catipulted us to the PL despite us overspending in terms of the rules, the vast majority would be celebrating it and naming their next kid Dai. You can't have that side of the coin as a fan without accepting that if "the plan" doesn't work the club as whole doesn't have to suffer the consequences.

The players have very little to worry about - they will get paid (they are guaranteed creditors after all) and if it all goes fully tits up, they'll get a move away.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 05 Aug 2021 14:57

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal We need to start actually selling players people want and do everything in our power to move on Moore.

And preferably at least some of Swift, Cabral, Ejaria, Joao and Meite as our probable higher earners.

And then we go down and are in even more of a mess. Players are worth far more in a successful team. Would anyone want Laurent or Holmes if we’d been bottom 5 last year? Doubt it.

Rafael and swift ooc end of year anyway. Doubt many will gamble on swift after his injuries last year anyway. Rafael isn’t all that so would be happy enough to see him go. No one will buy a crocked Meite. Moore I agree with but suspect no one will match his wage

We don't sort out the finance we're going down sooner or later.

We get rid of them and we have leeway to make signings.

Moore being top priority because he's top earner and we have equally good players on half or a third of his wages.

Swift barely played last season anyway.

If Joao doesn't recover his form he's not much help.

Cabral, we have three very promising young keepers.

Ejaria lacks end product and slows us down.

Meite is out for minimum 6 months anyway... obviously can't sell him in that time, but he won't be contributing much this season.

Between them that lot is about half of what our wage budget should be.

About £5m to £7m

kind of agree. & maybe we are better off doing it now, lancing the boil etc
rather than struggling to hold onto players then losing them all on frees anyway,

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Aug 2021 08:46

Sutekh Scrap it altogether after all shouldn’t the fit and proper persons test be able to determine whether the owner of a club is able to run a business in a reasonable manner and without risk to it otherwise what’s the point of the fit and proper persons test in the first place?

I simply can’t understand why the rules aren’t incredibly simple.
Owners/backers should be able to put whatever money they want into a club with one caveat, it must be share capital (i.e. non-refundable). The only way an owner gets any value from the investment is to sell to another, with no effect on the finances of the club itself.

What we have at the moment is a recipe for keeping the big clubs bigger and the small clubs … who cares, seems to be the message

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Aug 2021 08:47

Stranded
Norfolk Royal Can't help feeling the EFL should be sorting out the FFP debacle in a fairer way. Sure, there is some merit in encouraging clubs to be run sustainably or properly, but ultimately it is the fans of the club who suffer rather than the perpetrators of rule breaking and extravagance.

The fans being the one group, possibly the players as well, who do not actually deserve any punishment.

I don't actually have too much time for this argument. If Dai's money had catipulted us to the PL despite us overspending in terms of the rules, the vast majority would be celebrating it and naming their next kid Dai. You can't have that side of the coin as a fan without accepting that if "the plan" doesn't work the club as whole doesn't have to suffer the consequences.

The players have very little to worry about - they will get paid (they are guaranteed creditors after all) and if it all goes fully tits up, they'll get a move away.

That's a fair point that if we had gone up then everyone would have celebrated and gloried in it, of course they would.

However, if the question were asked 'Should we overspend, break the rules, and gamble on going up?' I think sensible fans would have said no.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 06 Aug 2021 09:36

I have heard the sticking point is the length of contracts between us and the EFL. I believe Reading are happy to stick to the 8.5k maximum for incomings and stick to free transfers / loans. But they want to be able to offer the likes of Harris 2 years so they do have some value if they do well. They also want to be able to renew contracts with current players on a case by case way instead of a blanket you can’t offer more than x amount. So they don’t lose the likes of Meier and Swift on a free next summer. At least be competitive as long as it fits into the grander scheme of the budget.

The EFL are standing to whatever there limits are though apparently. 1 year contracts for incomings on a max of 8.5k a year. We can offer contracts to current players aswell but I believe it to be the same limit.

This is why it is taking so long they can’t agree.

Just a tit bit from a friend who works at the club. May all be nonsense.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2021 10:01

linkenholtroyal I have heard the sticking point is the length of contracts between us and the EFL. I believe Reading are happy to stick to the 8.5k maximum for incomings and stick to free transfers / loans. But they want to be able to offer the likes of Harris 2 years so they do have some value if they do well. They also want to be able to renew contracts with current players on a case by case way instead of a blanket you can’t offer more than x amount. So they don’t lose the likes of Meier and Swift on a free next summer. At least be competitive as long as it fits into the grander scheme of the budget.

The EFL are standing to whatever there limits are though apparently. 1 year contracts for incomings on a max of 8.5k a year. We can offer contracts to current players aswell but I believe it to be the same limit.

That all seems fair and probable, I also think the club have a fair point. Would assume for new signings, there must be a get around of putting a clause in but only allowing us to offer 1 year deals does essentially cut off a massive potential stream of income to resolve our FFP problems.

They are essentially saying, you can't sensibly trade out of trouble, so we are left with hoping an academy graduate comes good and we can sell him for a decent sum. Seems a bit self defeating and perpetuating to me.

The best way for any club out of an FFP mess is find a rough diamond for next to nothing, polish him up and flog him for a small fortune a year or two later. If we're comfortable with the wage bill restrictions then the opportunity to offer a 2 year deal should be OK'd in my eyes.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Aug 2021 10:03

So, when we reveal the signing of Harris later today (!) what do we think the signing teaser video will be?

Carabao used to have 'The Cans,' no idea what the Casumo one was (as we didn't make many signings under them/they weren't very memorable).

For Select Car Leasing do we expect it to be car related - Kadeem lounging on the bonnet, sprawled on the back seat?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2021 10:05

morganb So, when we reveal the signing of Harris later today (!) what do we think the signing teaser video will be?

Carabao used to have 'The Cans,' no idea what the Casumo one was (as we didn't make many signings under them/they weren't very memorable).

For Select Car Leasing do we expect it to be car related - Kadeem lounging on the bonnet, sprawled on the back seat?

Nice bit of parallel parking I would imagine.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2021 10:41

linkenholtroyal I have heard the sticking point is the length of contracts between us and the EFL. I believe Reading are happy to stick to the 8.5k maximum for incomings and stick to free transfers / loans. But they want to be able to offer the likes of Harris 2 years so they do have some value if they do well. They also want to be able to renew contracts with current players on a case by case way instead of a blanket you can’t offer more than x amount. So they don’t lose the likes of Meier and Swift on a free next summer. At least be competitive as long as it fits into the grander scheme of the budget.

Seems a bit of a weird scenario. Being told - You need to save money / slash your losses. But we are not allowing you to tie down assets and they will leave for nothing next year. Leaving us even more down the creek without a paddle.
I can understand incomings only being given 1 year contracts as they are not our talent or assets.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2021 10:43

Stranded
morganb So, when we reveal the signing of Harris later today (!) what do we think the signing teaser video will be?

Nice bit of parallel parking I would imagine.

Doing a power slide outside the Jazz Cafe with reading scarfs out the window.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Aug 2021 13:59

Franchise FC
Sutekh Scrap it altogether after all shouldn’t the fit and proper persons test be able to determine whether the owner of a club is able to run a business in a reasonable manner and without risk to it otherwise what’s the point of the fit and proper persons test in the first place?

Owners/backers should be able to put whatever money they want into a club with one caveat, it must be share capital (i.e. non-refundable). The only way an owner gets any value from the investment is to sell to another, with no effect on the finances of the club itself.

What we have at the moment is a recipe for keeping the big clubs bigger and the small clubs … who cares, seems to be the message

Doesn’t that smack of common sense though and common sense, in everything not just football, seems to be rarer now than a Graeme Murty goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2021 19:00

It hasn't been fit and proper persons test for about a decade.

It's the owners and directors test and all it does is check if they have unspent criminal convictions, especially fraud related, and whether they have sufficient money available to run the club.

Fit and proper persons was a complete misnomer that caused people to think it was much more than it was, which was why they ditched it

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Aug 2021 19:12

Franchise FC

Nail absolutely on head! I too struggle to understand why that can't be the criteria. But then that second bit is what it's all really about - keep the boring little clubs with no history/pedigree firmly in their place.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Aug 2021 19:15

Coppells Lost Coat

Seems a bit of a weird scenario. Being told - You need to save money / slash your losses. But we are not allowing you to tie down assets and they will leave for nothing next year. Leaving us even more down the creek without a paddle.
I can understand incomings only being given 1 year contracts as they are not our talent or assets.

Exactly, it's like refusing you permission to take out insurance on your house and contents and ordering you to remove all the locks on the doors when there are a load of thieving barstewards and arsonists hovering around!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2021 06:03

RoyalBlue
Franchise FC

Nail absolutely on head! I too struggle to understand why that can't be the criteria. But then that second bit is what it's all really about - keep the boring little clubs with no history/pedigree firmly in their place.

Because it would probably lead to owners who lose interest just shutting some clubs down esp. If say they already own the stadium.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2021 09:46

RoyalBlue
Franchise FC

Isn't it because Spurs won a legal case to allow money to be taken out of a club many decades ago?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Aug 2021 23:13

This thread has gone so far away from Kadeem Harris haha

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Aug 2021 20:38

Make of this what you will but a guy I know at the gym said he's friends with Kadeem Harris and he said he's about to sign for us, he's even been invited to watch games from a box seat courtesy of Kadeem.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2021 11:04

Harris is signing today.

159 posts