RUMOUR - Yakou Meite

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

RUMOUR - Yakou Meite

by RG30 » 11 May 2021 12:47

Crystal Palace, Watford and Brighton are monitoring Reading forward Yakou Méïté.

All three clubs are interested in the £5million-rated Ivory Coast international, who could be sold to help balance the books at the Madejski Stadium.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/11/transfer-notebook-arsenal-weigh-move-moussa-dembele-mikel-arteta/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1620733185

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Yakou Meite

by tidus_mi2 » 11 May 2021 13:04

oxf*rd off with £5m, that better be the start point of the negotiations.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 May 2021 13:14

I like him, but he's not a Premier League striker ...

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 May 2021 13:28

5 mill seems about right for a 25 year old 1 in 3 striker from the champ. Unrealistic to think we'd get anymore.

royal67

by royal67 » 11 May 2021 13:55

I hope that this doesn't come to fruition.... Yak always seems to play with a lot of passion. Good intensity, causes problems for defenders and has popped up with some great goals.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 May 2021 13:58

Difficult one - certainly a player tailored to a particular style

Don't think his attributes are suited as a striker, particularly a lone striker, his work with his back to goal leaves a lot to be desired - for a guy of his stature, he goes too ground too easily

Playing off the right though, he's a handful for any defence and his scoring rate (with the exception of his first few months) has been consistently exceptional. He's also got a great work ethic and seems a very good character for the dressing room

Think he'd do well at Palace - not so sure about Watford or Brighton - although would be preferable to keep him as our most effective spell came with him in the side

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 May 2021 14:29

URZZZZ Difficult one - certainly a player tailored to a particular style

Don't think his attributes are suited as a striker, particularly a lone striker, his work with his back to goal leaves a lot to be desired - for a guy of his stature, he goes too ground too easily

Playing off the right though, he's a handful for any defence and his scoring rate (with the exception of his first few months) has been consistently exceptional. He's also got a great work ethic and seems a very good character for the dressing room

Think he'd do well at Palace - not so sure about Watford or Brighton - although would be preferable to keep him as our most effective spell came with him in the side

He’s not good enough at hold up play for a lone striker but I still see him as a centre forward rather than in a wider role particularly if there was someone alongside him. He isn’t a good crosser with often overhit crosses. I would rather he be in the box to pick up on crosses where his aerial ability would come to the fore.

Would definitely want to keep Yaks and would be sorry to see him go but he is one of our most saleable assets and we do need to bring in the dosh.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 May 2021 14:37

I have never understood Yaks. A target man style inside forward with a ridiculous knack for scoring goals.

Life and soul of the dressing room.

I'd sell him if I was the manager and regret it from that day onwards

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2021 15:40

Brogue 5 mill seems about right for a 25 year old 1 in 3 striker from the champ. Unrealistic to think we'd get anymore.

Maybe 5 years ago :|

Seen much less productive, older players, go for much more than £5m. I'd be wanting £8m+

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2021 16:03

Hendo
Brogue 5 mill seems about right for a 25 year old 1 in 3 striker from the champ. Unrealistic to think we'd get anymore.

Maybe 5 years ago :|

Seen much less productive, older players, go for much more than £5m. I'd be wanting £8m+

Fees will be lower this summer I would imagine as PL clubs will want to spend less and also know that 80% of the Championship are screwed. Would take 5m if it is all up front and can be reinvested.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2021 16:05

He's the one forward we have that I'd fight tooth and nail to keep.

His contribution to the team is greater than the sum of his abilities.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 May 2021 16:08

He guarantees us 12 goals a season which is priceless and he is the life and soul of the party!! this would be a huge miss, however, after all these years i still really don't know his best position.I really want him as a lone striker but it doesn't quite work. He's not a winger and cannot cross for shit.
This is a tough one, it would have to be north of $8 mill (Thats pounds, live in Canada) for me to even bite.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 May 2021 17:43

I would rather cash in on Olise, he is easier to replace and worth more. Meite is a player that we don’t have other options for at the moment. Nice to see Bristow has had another year aswell. At least we have a LB left at the club if Richards is gone.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 11 May 2021 18:36

12 is an excellent return for someone playing on the right & spending a decent spell on the sidelines

Yes, quite often he looks pretty clueless out there, but he’s a very reliable source of goals

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 May 2021 19:17

linkenholtroyal I would rather cash in on Olise, he is easier to replace and worth more. Meite is a player that we don’t have other options for at the moment. Nice to see Bristow has had another year aswell. At least we have a LB left at the club if Richards is gone.

How do we replace Olise's goals and assists with no money?

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 11 May 2021 19:30

When I first saw him play thought he had poor technique but enthusiasm - was amazed when he got offered the big/long contract by Clement was it. I initially thought he was non League/League 2. Certainly he has improved but I think he is in the honest toiler category, passion and enthusiasm overcomes his weakness. IMO he is exactly the sort of player we need - attitude and personality count for a lot in The Champ (see Barnsley)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 May 2021 20:12

Think it would be a huge mistake to sell Meite for say 5M. We will almost certainly lose Olise and we might even lose Jaoa for the right price as I could see a PL club take a risk on Jaoa and so we definitely need Meite, as we cannot afford to lose another 12 goals a season. And so unless we get a silly offer I hope he stays.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 May 2021 20:38

Meite is one of those players that the team needs to built around. Rather than being slotted into. At 25 now needs to show maturity and learn to control some of his exuberance. Needlessly given away free kicks being one aspect that he has to work on.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 May 2021 08:09

Mid Sussex Royal
linkenholtroyal I would rather cash in on Olise, he is easier to replace and worth more. Meite is a player that we don’t have other options for at the moment. Nice to see Bristow has had another year aswell. At least we have a LB left at the club if Richards is gone.

How do we replace Olise's goals and assists with no money?

Hope swift stays fit, Ejaria plays better centrally. both are round pegs for that hole. don't get me wrong Olise is a talent but we have other good options where he plays. Meite not so much so we would still need 2 players that can play LAM and RAM if he left.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 12 May 2021 13:12

what about a 1:3 winger?
hes 1:2 this season too