Rumour - Josh Laurent

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Josh Laurent

by RG30 » 02 Aug 2021 13:57

Nottingham Forest have tested Reading’s resolve over Josh Laurent but are not yet understood to have matched the price tag their Championship rivals have on their midfielder, reports Paul Taylor.

The Athletic understands that at least one seven-figure offer has been made for the 26-year-old, who was their player of the season last time out.

It remains to be seen whether Forest will up the ante again for Laurent, who signed for Reading from Shrewsbury on a free transfer in the summer of 2020, before going on to start all but one of their league games, while scoring three goals.

Forest do have more than one target in midfield, with their desire to bring James Garner back to the City Ground for a second loan spell from Manchester United already well known.

Laurent has played for eight clubs since coming through the youth ranks at QPR, including spells at Braintree, Brentford, Newport, Hartlepool, Wigan and Bury.

He signed a two year deal with the Berkshire club last summer and Forest — along with Glasgow Rangers, who are also said to be interested — will hope that the fact that he has only 12 months left to run on his deal could persuade Reading to do business

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2021 14:04

Suggests if they have bid then it is likely to have been 1 to 1.5m I would say.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Aug 2021 14:08

What about Forest financially, while better off than Reading at this moment in time they haven’t exactly been ideal in recent seasons given their suspect purchases and, until recently, never ending trail of exiting managers.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Aug 2021 14:30

Are we allowed to offer contracts of over £8500 p/w to existing players? For example can we offer another £8500 on top of what he already gets?

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 02 Aug 2021 14:40

I'd take any offer over 60m. Anything less than that is a piss take.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Aug 2021 14:42

ITK Eddie:

RE the Laurent rumours:

From what I understand, Josh’s trajectory was to have this final year of his contract with #ReadingFC and then leave in the summer to reach the premier league.

Although he would be a big loss, selling him at the right price could have major benefits.

Anyway, there is nothing to suggest he is on the verge of leaving, so let’s see how this develops.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 7349890048

(In Dai we trust - he won't sell)

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 02 Aug 2021 15:17

If we lost him this would be a disaster - especially if it was to a Championship club.

IF he was to go and it was a silly offer from a Prem club (given FFP) I would sort of understand given it is also a massive step up for the player - but if we sold to Forest or similar that would be a real blow ahead of the summer.

Probably/ easily our most valuable asset now.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Aug 2021 15:24

morganb ITK Eddie:

RE the Laurent rumours:

From what I understand, Josh’s trajectory was to have this final year of his contract with #ReadingFC and then leave in the summer to reach the premier league.

Although he would be a big loss, selling him at the right price could have major benefits.

Anyway, there is nothing to suggest he is on the verge of leaving, so let’s see how this develops.

Dai could’ve extended the contract during Laurent’s 1st season, when it was clear he was decent…

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2021 15:32

Notts Royal
morganb ITK Eddie:

RE the Laurent rumours:

Dai could’ve extended the contract during Laurent’s 1st season, when it was clear he was decent…

If Eddies info is correct then it would appear there is close to a 0% chance Laurent will sign another deal here as he sees us, quite rightly, as a step in his career. He let his contract run out at Shrewsbury to move up a level - that was also a 2 year deal - so would seem that is the way he rolls and fair play to him.

Question may well come down to a) Forest offering a acceptable amount and b) Laurent deciding that signing a 2 year deal there is ther next step towards getting to the PL or if he is better placed seeing out his deal here and moving as a free agent next summer.

The acceptable amount has to be an amount that we are allowed to reinvest either in fees or increased wages.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 02 Aug 2021 15:36

Notts Royal
morganb ITK Eddie:

RE the Laurent rumours:

I remember back in our Prem years players signing new deals with agreements in place should a prem club come knocking, that way it looks after the player and also the club who get a fee. Just feels like the Club isn't savvy enough to get these agreements in place anymore...

'Josh, here is a new 3-year contract, if we are not in the Prem by 2022/23 and a Prem club comes knocking with X asking price you can go'

Feels like basics, protects the Club and the player has peace of mind. Frustrating.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Aug 2021 15:36

Just re-reading what Eddie said:

Josh’s trajectory was to have this final year of his contract with #ReadingFC and then leave in the summer to reach the premier league.

So, either:

He stays with Reading for the final year of his contract and gains promotion with us
He stays with Reading for the final year of his contract and leaves on a free to go the Prem
He renews his contract with Reading regardless of promotion (sounds very doubtful!)
He signs for another Championship side this summer and gets promotion with them
He signs for another Championship side this summer but then leaves next summer to go to the Prem
He signs for another Championship side this summer then remains with them regardless of promotion

Would he really want to got to Forest unless they are offering a considerably better package? If he went would they then come back in for Rino?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Aug 2021 15:51

For me, he’s our best player and we really can’t afford to lose him. Sadly, this seems to be where we’re at right now. I just hope that we don’t start accepting derisory offers for our best players. I feel a bit doom and gloom about the season ahead at the moment but hopefully we can add to the squad soon. My Pompey supporting mate reckons we’re going to tumble down the leagues just like they did.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Aug 2021 16:03

I do feel for Pauno. He is now working with a weakened squad which could become even weaker. Up until now we haven’t paid for the shambolic running of the club in previous seasons. It looked like it was happening two summers ago when inexplicably we went from a transfer embargo to a spending spree. That won’t happen this time.
Last edited by Zip on 02 Aug 2021 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 02 Aug 2021 16:05

this is the issue with losing our best players and not being able to pay players. it will mea that more of our better players cant wait to get the oxf*rd out at the earliest opportunity. its a vicious circle

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 02 Aug 2021 16:08

So frustrating as previous years the owner has declined decent bids for Swift and Moore, adamant that he won't sell as he doesn't need to.

Really hope this will be the case for Laurent, but with FFP who knows.

Biggest danger is the owner gets fed up with these FFP restrictions, loses interest in running the club and trying to get us up - will be in a world of trouble then - fortunately (based on various interviews such as Paunos recent one with Dellor where he said the owner deserves a statue) he seems to be interested still, but for how much longer...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Aug 2021 17:07

hughsies no.1
Notts Royal
morganb ITK Eddie:

I remember back in our Prem years players signing new deals with agreements in place should a prem club come knocking, that way it looks after the player and also the club who get a fee. Just feels like the Club isn't savvy enough to get these agreements in place anymore...

'Josh, here is a new 3-year contract, if we are not in the Prem by 2022/23 and a Prem club comes knocking with X asking price you can go'

Feels like basics, protects the Club and the player has peace of mind. Frustrating.

No benefit to the player there.
The way things work now a player becoming a free agent makes a financial killing. Instead of the new club paying a transfer fee they pay a big signing on fee. Why would a player give up millions to allow a club to make money off him ?
Anyoung ambitious player will look out for himself, it’s the older or less able players who want the security of a longer deal.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Aug 2021 18:03

Would be shocked if he left us for Forest. Wouldn't be surprised however if this was his agent trying to stir up some interest from some half decent teams.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 02 Aug 2021 18:57

I think I’d be more worried about the likes of Fulham, West Brom or Sheff United coming in waving their Premier League rejects wad and coming after him, than bottom half of the table Forest, European Cups and all.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Aug 2021 20:42

Notts Royal
morganb ITK Eddie:

RE the Laurent rumours:

But could he, given the shyte the EFL are now putting us through with regard to FFP? I suspect Mr Dai and the club were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's a shame we're not dealing with the Government here - a nice donation to party funds or a revamp of someone's home and all would be sorted!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Aug 2021 21:05

hughsies no.1 Biggest danger is the owner gets fed up with these FFP restrictions, loses interest in running the club and trying to get us up - will be in a world of trouble then - fortunately (based on various interviews such as Paunos recent one with Dellor where he said the owner deserves a statue) he seems to be interested still, but for how much longer...

We never hear from the owner. Perhaps his business interests aren't performing as well in this Covid era and the interest in his Reading Premier League project is waning. Cut the losses and make an exit.