How many players will we sign this summer?

How many players will we sign

15%
6%
24%
23%
12%
11%
6%
7+
3%

Total votes: 66
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How many players will we sign this summer?

by Elm Park Kid » 05 Jul 2021 14:11

I reckon that the only 'proper' signing will be a full back who can play either left or right, but it will be a proper bargain basement deal - less than £1m easily.

We might just squeeze in one loan deal for a striker, but it will be where a PL club is desperate to get their player some experience and can't find anywhere else for them to go. I can't see how we'll get approval to pay anything close to a normal loanee salary.

This is assuming we sell Olise. If not then we'll make zero signings.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 05 Jul 2021 17:33

3 loan, 3 perm. I'm not expecting much tbh.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Jul 2021 21:33

Seriously short up top, we won`t go into the new season with only two fit strikers, a left back is a must too, and at a push a wide right midfielder.
I`ll say 4, all on loan.

yuomi

by yuomi » 05 Jul 2021 22:51

We always tend to do our business quietly and late, but it seems very quiet...

I know we've got no money to spend, but not even a sniff of outgoings either.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Jul 2021 08:32

yuomi We always tend to do our business quietly and late, but it seems very quiet...

I know we've got no money to spend, but not even a sniff of outgoings either.

The Euros will be delaying PL activity, which has knock-on effect with EFL transfers.

Now that it's confirmed that we can go back to full attendances at matches I would expect to see activity pick up from next week. Though, it will obviously still be subdued from a 'normal' window with most clubs looking to sell rather than buy.

It's really not a great time to sell Olise with all the European talent that is being giving a shop window at the moment.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Jul 2021 12:10

windermereROYAL Seriously short up top,

Aren't Joao and Puscas both over 6 feet?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 06 Jul 2021 16:47

Wycombe Royal
windermereROYAL Seriously short up top,

Aren't Joao and Puscas both over 6 feet?

Mcnulty is 5ft 8inches tall to be fair.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2021 18:27

Most probably nil, or at best one or two loan signings. Worried that we’re going the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, especially given how we finished last season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2021 14:11

Have to get a left back, striker cover and a different sort of attacking midfielder to Swift and Ejaria just to get the squad back to last season’s level and that level was insufficient to cover the injuries picked up, or provide decent options when chasing a game, so need another 2/3 options on top.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2021 16:07

blythspartan Most probably nil, or at best one or two loan signings. Worried that we’re going the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, especially given how we finished last season.

WHat similarities do you see between us and Wednesday ?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Jul 2021 18:01

The plus of Olise going is we can move Ejaria into AM, or have Swift in there.

Sign a couple of wide-men and the squad will look more balanced. Of cause losing Olise is a blow but we still might improve overall

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2021 18:18

Trying to keep swift fit will be absolutely crucial

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Jul 2021 20:34

Notts Royal The plus of Olise going is we can move Ejaria into AM, or have Swift in there.

Sign a couple of wide-men and the squad will look more balanced. Of cause losing Olise is a blow but we still might improve overall

This exactly, i honestly would see this as Ejaria's best position and he will cause havoc against teams when he runs at them through the centre instead on the flanks.
We need two widemen especially with Olise gone and Meite injured.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jul 2021 00:44

Nameless
blythspartan Most probably nil, or at best one or two loan signings. Worried that we’re going the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, especially given how we finished last season.

Fairly similar business model over the last few years. Michail Antonio and Lucas Joao have played for both clubs. Both teams play in blue and white shirts.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Jul 2021 11:06

blythspartan
Nameless

Fairly similar business model over the last few years. Michail Antonio and Lucas Joao have played for both clubs. Both teams play in blue and white shirts.

Don't forget Royston Drenthe!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jul 2021 13:48

No signings.

Full report at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57760968

Derby, Reading and newly-promoted Hull are among eight English Football League clubs under transfer embargoes a month before the start of the new season.

The embargoes limit a club's ability to make signings, with sanctions preventing transfer fees being paid.

Fleetwood Town and Gillingham from League One have also been sanctioned.

Swindon Town, already struggling with off-field issues, plus Oldham Athletic and Scunthorpe United are the three League Two teams under embargoes.

The EFL have started publishing a list of clubs under embargoes following a change in regulations voted for by EFL clubs last month.

Profit and sustainability rules affect Reading

Reading are deemed to have breached profit and sustainability rules, while Hull's embargo is based on "conditions under monitored loan agreement", thought to be related to a previous transfer, as is that applied to Fleetwood, Oldham and Scunthorpe.

What do the embargoes mean for signing players?

Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.

Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.

If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.

However, clubs cannot pay loan fees for players and cannot pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2021 14:28

Being linked with Bolasie and Hoilett. Hard pass on both of those, thanks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 14:34

dunno, experienced wingers, played in the champ last year. Short term contracts, lowish wage, no fee. With Meite out, makes plenty of sense to me

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2021 14:59

Hound dunno, experienced wingers, played in the champ last year. Short term contracts, lowish wage, no fee. With Meite out, makes plenty of sense to me

Both the wrong side of 30 and not sure about lowish wagers. Suppose a one year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would rather be looking at younger players with a bit to prove.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2021 17:43

Pepe the Horseman
Hound dunno, experienced wingers, played in the champ last year. Short term contracts, lowish wage, no fee. With Meite out, makes plenty of sense to me

Both the wrong side of 30 and not sure about lowish wagers. Suppose a one year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would rather be looking at younger players with a bit to prove.

I agree.