Joao Replacement

193 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Joao Replacement

by SCIAG » 02 Sep 2021 10:39

morganb Just looked this up and we actually have a prolific goal scorer in the academy at the moment (and it isn't Clarke) 14 goals in 21 games:

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/player/ehi ... /8tK5EH5T/

2021/2022 - Reading U23 - Premier League 2 - Games 3 - Goals 3
2021/2022 - Reading U18 - Premier League U18 - Games 1 - Goals 1
2020/2021 - Reading U18 - Premier League U18 - Games 17 - Goals 10

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan

He's a few months older than Clarke but appears to have been overlooked. Does anyone know much about him and why he isn't even making the bench? Guess the coaches see him in training and have decided he's not ready...

Was pretty awful in the cup. Clarke replaced him and looked livelier. Suspect that is a big part of why he’s been preferred subsequently.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2021 10:53

SCIAG
morganb Just looked this up and we actually have a prolific goal scorer in the academy at the moment (and it isn't Clarke) 14 goals in 21 games:

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/player/ehi ... /8tK5EH5T/

2021/2022 - Reading U23 - Premier League 2 - Games 3 - Goals 3
2021/2022 - Reading U18 - Premier League U18 - Games 1 - Goals 1
2020/2021 - Reading U18 - Premier League U18 - Games 17 - Goals 10

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan

He's a few months older than Clarke but appears to have been overlooked. Does anyone know much about him and why he isn't even making the bench? Guess the coaches see him in training and have decided he's not ready...

Was pretty awful in the cup. Clarke replaced him and looked livelier. Suspect that is a big part of why he’s been preferred subsequently.

Pretty much this, Clarke earned his chance based on the Swansea game, and performances in the youth - there is plenty of examples of players scoring for fun at youth level but not stepping up and players who don't score quite as many making it more seamlessly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Sep 2021 13:24

Hound think he has made the bench once or twice hasn't he?

think he is in the thoughts but probably still too young really. Clarke is possibly a bit more physically ready

This. You have to have some sort of physical presence against experienced defensive players in this league and I would imagine the coaching staff fell he’s not quite there yet. Not having seen him myself what do our resident Academy “experts” think?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2021 13:27

Sutekh

think he is in the thoughts but probably still too young really. Clarke is possibly a bit more physically ready

This. You have to have some sort of physical presence against experienced defensive players in this league and I would imagine the coaching staff fell he’s not quite there yet. Not having seen him myself what do our resident Academy “experts” think?

he played vs Swansea didn't he, and in some of the preseason

From what i've seen of Clarke is massive for his age. Hence why I think he is being used

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Sep 2021 13:34

Not that we can sign him unless the EFL relent but I see that Daniel Sturridge is claiming to be fit and issuing a come and get me plea.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2021 17:44

blythspartan Not that we can sign him unless the EFL relent but I see that Daniel Sturridge is claiming to be fit and issuing a come and get me plea.

Wouldn't touch that talented glassbone waster with a barge pole.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Sep 2021 06:48

Sutekh

They’re very physically similar, at least to the untrained eye. Big, strong, reasonably quick. It’s possible the data the fitness people have shows something different but I don’t think the issue is physical - particularly if we’re prepared to put Leavy on the bench!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Sep 2021 07:47

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Not that we can sign him unless the EFL relent but I see that Daniel Sturridge is claiming to be fit and issuing a come and get me plea.

Given our current financial constraints who would you like to have seen brought in? I’d have been happy with Carroll or a youngster on loan from the premiership. I hope that Clarke is given a chance but not to the detriment of his development.

It’s a shame we can’t unearth another Kerry Dixon, Kevin Doyle or Shane Long. There must still be talent out there but not sure what our scouting policy is these days.

A player I haven’t heard about for ages is Dwight Gayle and he used to score goals for fun at this level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2021 08:09

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal

Given our current financial constraints who would you like to have seen brought in? I’d have been happy with Carroll or a youngster on loan from the premiership. I hope that Clarke is given a chance but not to the detriment of his development.

It’s a shame we can’t unearth another Kerry Dixon, Kevin Doyle or Shane Long. There must still be talent out there but not sure what our scouting policy is these days.

A player I haven’t heard about for ages is Dwight Gayle and he used to score goals for fun at this level.

No one who has a terrible injury record, poor record of applying themselves, history of being the next big thing and career going down the toilet.

The sort of players I would sign, are the.ones I'd have never heard of. If I've heard of them, they're probably a poor choice.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2021 08:50

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal Wouldn't touch that talented glassbone waster with a barge pole.

No one who has a terrible injury record, poor record of applying themselves, history of being the next big thing and career going down the toilet.

The sort of players I would sign, are the.ones I'd have never heard of. If I've heard of them, they're probably a poor choice.

The problem is, the ones we haven't heard off who belong to a PL club (the only realistic market for loans this year), we would be relying on their good grace to a) accept no loan fee and b) pay whatever portion of their wages is greater than 8.5k. We've been very fortunate that Chelsea have been willing to do so but they are a seemingly bottomless pit when it comes to wages.

That leaves us with free agents - as they can only sign for a year, again you are unlikely to bring someone in from abroad esp. as they may not get a permit. So you are left with free agents who know English football - so if you want one with a decent record you are left looking at the likes of Carroll or Sturridge - who if fit could be excellent but will have that question mark over them because if they didn't they wouldn't still be free agents.

Only other option, is hope that Puscas comes good with a run of games and that the U23 strikers can step up if needed - at the mo, that seems like the option we are having to go with.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Sep 2021 08:54

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal Wouldn't touch that talented glassbone waster with a barge pole.

I can’t disagree with this tbh. The club that seem to be good at this is Peterborough. Also, Brentford seem to have a great scouting network. I don’t even know who does our scouting these days but it’s not been overly successful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Sep 2021 09:28

thinking the scouting in recent years has been pretty good tbh. We've stayed up/competitive often due to bringing some good players in . Some of the loans have been a bit superfluous / squad fillers but not many real disasters

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2021 10:10

Hound thinking the scouting in recent years has been pretty good tbh. We've stayed up/competitive often due to bringing some good players in . Some of the loans have been a bit superfluous / squad fillers but not many real disasters

This - in the last 2 or 3 years the scounting has been much improved - still a way to go though but as mentioned in my last post given the restrictions we have a very small pond to fish in as we can't pay a fee to anyone - so buying a complete unkown from lower leagues or a smaller European league is out for us - so we are left with trying to attract (or be allowed to sign) the likes of Carroll rather than finding the next Kevin Doyle.

193 posts