Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

229 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 21:32

Stranded
NathStPaul
Zip It’s looking like our business is done. Presumably letting one go was the sticking point. Did we really need Drinkwater? A striker was much more of a priority.

The second Joao picked up the injury every other line of enquiry should have stopped and all of our eggs should have gone into the finding a striker basket. The club have no excuses really, we've had weeks to find someone. More importantly we've had the ability to do so given our other signings, its not like the EFL stopped us or anything.

Strikers, at least those who could be worthwhile at this level are hard to come by. With our restrictions possibly close to impossible.

We could only bring in a loanee where the loaning club would be willing to have no loan fee and subsidise wages over 8.5k & free agent strikers will bide their time. Carroll or another striker may well see their stock rise next week.

If we can't get one in then we may be better served using Clarke. He may turn into a gem.

I don’t think we can play Clarke upfront on his own. It’s a huge ask. There is a lot of criticism of Puscas. However the service he has received has been dreadful. He hasn’t missed clear cut chances. He can’t create chances for himself like Joao can. I doubt Clarke can either. So for a change let’s play both Puscas and Joao upfront. If we carry on playing a lone striker it just isn’t going to work.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Aug 2021 21:35

We can’t even sign free agents unless we offload another player, so I assume we can’t sign anyone now until next January. I can’t believe we signed Drinkwater knowing this.

Best we can hope for is 0-0 in every game between now and Christmas. I wonder what the lowest number of Championship points is. At this rate we might end up with both records. :(

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2021 21:37

NathStPaul
Stranded
NathStPaul The second Joao picked up the injury every other line of enquiry should have stopped and all of our eggs should have gone into the finding a striker basket. The club have no excuses really, we've had weeks to find someone. More importantly we've had the ability to do so given our other signings, its not like the EFL stopped us or anything.

Strikers, at least those who could be worthwhile at this level are hard to come by. With our restrictions possibly close to impossible.

We could only bring in a loanee where the loaning club would be willing to have no loan fee and subsidise wages over 8.5k & free agent strikers will bide their time. Carroll or another striker may well see their stock rise next week.

If we can't get one in then we may be better served using Clarke. He may turn into a gem.

Exactly, they are hard to come by so the second Joao is injured you have to exhaust every available option. If Andy Carroll was that option then go for him 2 weeks ago instead of days before the window closes.
If I had to guess, Paunovic thought he'd be ok with Puscas/Azeez as striker options. The latter then gets injured and the former just isn't doing it in the slightest.
Other possible scenario is the club tried to shift a couple out today and there were no takers meaning Carroll couldn't happen.

Think it needs to be explained either way, on the face of it the lack of new striker is farcical.

Well Exclusives suggests we have spoken to him but not agreed anything and that he is waiting to see if better offers materialise. Not much we can do there if true.

Not saying we shouldn't be bringing in a striker but with our restrictions the available list of those we can bring in, who would be worthwhile is small and we aren't massively enticing in our current shit state. So if that short list runs out quickly then better to back a youth player to battle Puscas for a spot over a random body.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2021 21:40

blythspartan We can’t even sign free agents unless we offload another player, so I assume we can’t sign anyone now until next January. I can’t believe we signed Drinkwater knowing this.

Best we can hope for is 0-0 in every game between now and Christmas. I wonder what the lowest number of Championship points is. At this rate we might end up with both records. :(

We don't know the situation, we don't know if or when the EFL changed the terms to 1 in, 1 out or that they definitely had.

We don't yet know if an outgoing has fallen through. It will come out in time.

For me though, we do need Drinkwater (or similar) as we can't rely on Laurent/Rino again all season. He also could give the midfield a different dynamic.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 21:41

blythspartan We can’t even sign free agents unless we offload another player, so I assume we can’t sign anyone now until next January. I can’t believe we signed Drinkwater knowing this.

I gather you are correct. So that is it until January. We will find out tomorrow why Drinkwater was signed in the knowledge that we couldn’t just go out and get a striker with one day to go without moving one of our own on.
We just have to hope Pauno can sort out a formation that offers our forward/s a better service than they have received thus far.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2021 21:50

Zip

I gather you are correct. So that is it until January. We will find out tomorrow why Drinkwater was signed in the knowledge that we couldn’t just go out and get a striker with one day to go without moving one of our own on.
We just have to hope Pauno can sort out a formation that offers our forward/s a better service than they have received thus far.

It doesn’t mean we can’t sign anyone until January, and how you can draw that conclusion I have no idea.
The EFL sanctions change constantly. There will be all sorts of things we can do to get the restrictions relaxed yet again and once we have made more movement the EFL will respond.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2021 21:53

Nameless
Zip

It doesn’t mean we can’t sign anyone until January, and how you can draw that conclusion I have no idea.
The EFL sanctions change constantly. There will be all sorts of things we can do to get the restrictions relaxed yet again and once we have made more movement the EFL will respond.

But we can't offload a player, that seems to be the key. One in and one out seems to be what the EFL want.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Aug 2021 21:54

After the initial Twitter excitement over 2 has-beens, the reality that we’ve not signed a striker but managed to bring in 4 midfielders is starting to sink in.

Looking like a long hard season ahead

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 Aug 2021 22:05

I see Bournmuff have signed Ryan Christie from Celtic! he was remoured to go to the Premiership, how the hell did they pull this one out of the hat!! is this their last year of parachute payments anyone?
I really hope we stuff them this year, i really hate that club lol.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 22:10

Nameless
Zip

I draw that conclusion based upon the EFL rules applicable to teams in a transfer embargo where if the club has 16 senior players we cannot sign players outside of the window. Whether we are able to persuade the EFL that we should be allowed to bring in a striker very much remains to be seen. Quite what movement you are referring to I simply don’t know.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 22:12

NathStPaul
Nameless
Zip

But we can't offload a player, that seems to be the key. One in and one out seems to be what the EFL want.

Correct and how are we going to offload anybody with the window about to shut?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2021 22:12

Pretty bog standard deadline day, lots of initial excitement about a striker coming in and nothing happens.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Aug 2021 22:29

We must have the worst striking options in the EFL and I am shocked that we couldn’t find just one striker to bring in.

Anyway, no more bleating from me it is what it is and I’ll be there against QPR and Peterborough but not hopeful of any points.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Aug 2021 22:30

windermereROYAL Pretty bog standard deadline day, lots of initial excitement about a striker coming in and nothing happens.

& the fake hoops managed to pull off Andre Gray. That’s 3 decent strikers they have vs our 1 crocked striker.

Bournemouth got Lowe, who personally I think is a bit overrated. But a bit of a mare for Swansea who lost both him & Roberts on deadline day

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 22:36

Notts Royal
windermereROYAL Pretty bog standard deadline day, lots of initial excitement about a striker coming in and nothing happens.

& the fake hoops managed to pull off Andre Gray. That’s 3 decent strikers they have vs our 1 crocked striker.

Bournemouth got Lowe, who personally I think is a bit overrated. But a bit of a mare for Swansea who lost both him & Roberts on deadline day

Swansea have got a few coming in including Tariq Fosu and Obafemi.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Aug 2021 22:37

Notts Royal

Shame we don't have 10-12 mill.....could have got Kieffer Moore. Wolves pulled out of the deal.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Aug 2021 22:57

I fancy we may see a bit of Hoilett leading the line and have a feeling he may look better than Puscas on his own.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2021 23:07

Zip
Notts Royal

Swansea have got a few coming in including Tariq Fosu and Obafemi.

And Rhys Williams.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Aug 2021 23:19

For me Bournemouth are going down the same route we did, if they don't go up I can see them falling foul of FFP.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2021 23:24

Shambles of a window, 25 midfielders 1 attacker :roll:

229 posts