SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Andy Carroll

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jun 2022 17:38

Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy
I have AC in my room at work and I'm in Reading, so...

AC is not AC m8

What's AC got to do with this, m9?

The tread is about AC then you bring AC into the convo m10

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Jun 2022 18:21

SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
AC is not AC m8

You're the one who brought AC into this, I was just commenting on AC.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jun 2022 18:30

Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy

True, fair point.

Well I still say AC isn’t coming to Reading

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2022 08:19

SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal

True, fair point.

Well I still say AC isn’t coming to Reading

Coming back. Hopefully ready for Huddersfield on 1 October.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... y-carroll/

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Sep 2022 09:18

Much happier we landed Carroll over Walcott. With a proper structured approach he will be a asset in both the systems I have seen us play so far.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Sep 2022 09:25

Crashed his car badly yesterday.....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Sep 2022 10:32

paultheroyal Crashed his car badly yesterday.....

He can get the train to work. Bearwood is an easy walk from Winnersh station and the Elizabeth line will be ideal for him.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Sep 2022 11:42

I'm sure the insurance company can loan him a Nissan Micra.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Sep 2022 12:25

Would be happy with this, if he can have a similar impact both on and off the field this season as he did last, then he will prove to be a valuable asset for us I'm sure. Our striking options are pretty good now thankfully.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Sep 2022 12:45

From Despair To Where? I'm sure the insurance company can loan him a Nissan Micra.

It would need to be a soft top

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Sep 2022 12:49

Coppells Lost Coat Much happier we landed Carroll over Walcott. With a proper structured approach he will be a asset in both the systems I have seen us play so far.

I’d say the rumours of Jordon Ibe on trial is the more likely Walcott alternative.

Andy Carroll will probably be joining as there’s concerns over Shane Long’s fitness and we need another option.

Ince likely wants to go 2 up top at home (like we did against Stoke). Carroll ticks all the boxes.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Sep 2022 12:54

royalp-we
Coppells Lost Coat Much happier we landed Carroll over Walcott. With a proper structured approach he will be a asset in both the systems I have seen us play so far.

I’d say the rumours of Jordon Ibe on trial is the more likely Walcott alternative.

Andy Carroll will probably be joining as there’s concerns over Shane Long’s fitness and we need another option.

Ince likely wants to go 2 up top at home (like we did against Stoke). Carroll ticks all the boxes.

Not sure we can play both Carroll and Joao together can we? I mean we can but not sure we should.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Sep 2022 13:07

Brogue
royalp-we

Not sure we can play both Carroll and Joao together can we? I mean we can but not sure we should.

I would have thought Walcott wages would have put us pretty much to the limit of our budget. Meaning Ibe / Carroll would not have been an option.

Carroll would be signing knowing he wont be the main man. But he certainly can play with every other striker in a 2. He most certainly is a better option to throw on when defending a slender lead / chasing a goal. One of the best headers of the ball have seen in a while.
Last edited by Coppells Lost Coat on 12 Sep 2022 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2022 13:07

royalp-we

Given Ince has said Joao only started because of the injury to Loum, it seems pretty clear that going two upfront is very far from what Ince intends or wants to do as standard.

I think he wants to continue playing 1 striker and TInce in a free role supporting them. Carroll just gives us a more like for like option for Joao

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Sep 2022 13:38

Just another very good plan b option

Not sure Joao, Long and Carroll will be fit at the same time that often tbh but it’s good insurance and someone we can definitely throw on if we are chasing a game or want to try something different

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Sep 2022 13:41

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we

Given Ince has said Joao only started because of the injury to Loum, it seems pretty clear that going two upfront is very far from what Ince intends or wants to do as standard.

I think he wants to continue playing 1 striker and TInce in a free role supporting them. Carroll just gives us a more like for like option for Joao

Might Ince not be the sort of bloke who takes advantage of a fluke and profits from it ?
He may not have intended to play 2 strikers but he did and it worked !
Signing a 4th central striker (5th maybe even) if you only ever intended to use 1 seems a bit belt, braces and another belt.
And Carroll isn’t really very similar to Joao, he’s different to Long as well but probably more like him than he is Joao. I’d say if he signs we have 3 quite different types of players, which is nice.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Sep 2022 14:45

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
royalp-we

Might Ince not be the sort of bloke who takes advantage of a fluke and profits from it ?
Signing a 4th central striker (5th maybe even) if you only ever intended to use 1 seems a bit belt, braces and another belt.
And Carroll isn’t really very similar to Joao, he’s different to Long as well but probably more like him than he is Joao. I’d say if he signs we have 3 quite different types of players, which is nice.

I think Ince has mentioned it before where he wants to have options where we can play 2/3 different formations comfortably within the team. So it could be a 5-3-2 (3-5-2 whatever you like to call it) or a 4-2-3-1 other weeks or potentially a 4-4-2 etc. Having Carroll gives us 3 different types of striker so it does give us flexibility up top, obviously fitness/injuries need to be taken into account as well.

Considering Ince has said Joao has been struggling a bit this season, Meite has played once and is still out (but returning we think) and Long was doubtful for the weekend, having Carroll as well would give us at least another option. I don't think we will be mandated to playing any certain formation, but having those options, with everyone fit, would be good to have.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Sep 2022 15:38

Having enough players to mix things up is a good idea, would keep the opponents guessing until an hour before the match. Could be useful, them not knowing who will be the striker(s)., let alone other positions. If we have enough players fit at the same time, of course!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2022 15:42

He’s an option that enables the preferred style of play to continue when Joao gets injured/loses form. They can cover each other from the bench and when needed the club can go 2 up top - or even 3 with Shane!

Ok the average of the front line is going to be possibly the highest in the division but none of them have lost any of their presence or nous about leading the line and all are still a stuffing awkward handful for opposition defences.

Plus Andy Carroll scores the best disallowed goals in the division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2022 16:06

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Given Ince has said Joao only started because of the injury to Loum, it seems pretty clear that going two upfront is very far from what Ince intends or wants to do as standard.

I think Ince has mentioned it before where he wants to have options where we can play 2/3 different formations comfortably within the team. So it could be a 5-3-2 (3-5-2 whatever you like to call it) or a 4-2-3-1 other weeks or potentially a 4-4-2 etc. Having Carroll gives us 3 different types of striker so it does give us flexibility up top, obviously fitness/injuries need to be taken into account as well.

Considering Ince has said Joao has been struggling a bit this season, Meite has played once and is still out (but returning we think) and Long was doubtful for the weekend, having Carroll as well would give us at least another option. I don't think we will be mandated to playing any certain formation, but having those options, with everyone fit, would be good to have.

He definitely wants us to have a flexible shape, but that firmly seems to be within the XI on the field, not in squad options, in my opinion.

You see it in how we transition from 5 at the back to 4 to 3 based on the situation in play, and in how players get forward to support the striker, with TInce filling in out wide, in midfield and upfront when in his normal role. The wing backs transitioning between wingback, fullback and winger.

Carroll and Joao are both big target men with good feet. Both have had joy running channels and in behind, but that's not their primary role. Long can lead the line, but much more stretching the defence and occupying the channels rather than as a target man. Meite, I'd argue is more like Long, he's a big guy, but his first touch is iffy and he's better running the channels and stretching the defence than as a focal point for balls straight into him to control and hold up under close attention. I wouldn’t say Carroll is like for like with Joao, but he is more like for like with him than Long or Meite imo.

Clarke seems unfancied, and Ehib appears firmly a back up role.

Signing Carroll is not belt, braces and belt again when the rest of your senior strikers all have fitness / injury concerns over them. And just because the manager intends to start games with one striker, doesn't mean he doesn't want the option to go two later in the game if he needs to.

580 posts