580 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Andy Carroll

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 12:37

bcubed
Snowflake Royal
Hound
yeah its a plan b. not one I can see Pauno using a lot based on this season though

Yeah, if you look at the structure of the side, its not actually very easy to switch to 2 upfront with a proper shape behind it.

Easiest way to do it would be to remove Swift, but he's our best player, so that's counter productive.

That leaves LW, RW, DM or CM/DM or a defender. If we're going to play 2 up, really we're going to want wingers, but we don't really have any and the closest we've got are two of the options to sub off.

Meaning our only options are a defender or a central midfielder. The former makes us more likely to concede again and the latter also makes us more likely to concede and means pulling Swift, our best player, a bit deeper to cover the hole we just made.

You've got to look at the whole picture and how you're accommodating the second striker, with the impact that has elsewhere before you actually do it.

We'd be better off just setting up with it in a 5-3-2 if we want it than trying to change to use it mid game.

Agreed but maybe we need to try playing without him
Because it seems we’ll soon have to

I assume we're waiting for his inevitable injury to do that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2021 12:48

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Once upon a time . Assuming that Puscas is not injured, has nobody considered the effect he could have with 45 minutes on the field with Carroll ?

yeah its a plan b. not one I can see Pauno using a lot based on this season though

If we're going to play 2 up, really we're going to want wingers

In an ideal world, I agree but we’ve used a 4-4-2 diamond to good effect a few times under Paunovic too. The 4-2 win over Blackburn last season (definitely one of our best games under him) as well as the 1-0 win in the reverse fixture and the 3-0 triumph over Sheffield. Conveniently two of Puscas’ best games in a Reading shirt too, coincidence!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 12:57

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Hound

If we're going to play 2 up, really we're going to want wingers

In an ideal world, I agree but we’ve used a 4-4-2 diamond to good effect a few times under Paunovic too. The 4-2 win over Blackburn last season (definitely one of our best games under him) as well as the 1-0 win in the reverse fixture and the 3-0 triumph over Sheffield. Conveniently two of Puscas’ best games in a Reading shirt too, coincidence!

So you think

.........Drinkwater, Laurent
.TDB...,........, Swift, .............Ejaria
.....................Puscas

To

.....................DW/JL
........TDB.......................Ejaria
......................Swift
.............Carroll, Puscas

:?:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2021 13:06

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal If we're going to play 2 up, really we're going to want wingers

So you think

To

Something like that yeah. Don’t think it involves too much of a role change for any particular player and may give us a bit more in attack

When you lay it out like that, with Hoilett, Halilovic and Rinomhota coming back, we do actually have some strong depth there (if they ever all return from injury that is). Ditto up top with Meite, Joao and Clarke although the first two are obviously longer term injuries

Fear for Tetek who I just can’t see getting near the squad with everyone fit. Also struggling to see how we’ll fit both Holmes and McIntyre in the squads each week too. Of course, dependent on getting everyone back which doesn’t seem to ever happen

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2021 13:25

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

So you think

To

Something like that yeah. Don’t think it involves too much of a role change for any particular player and may give us a bit more in attack

When you lay it out like that, with Hoilett, Halilovic and Rinomhota coming back, we do actually have some strong depth there (if they ever all return from injury that is). Ditto up top with Meite, Joao and Clarke although the first two are obviously longer term injuries

Fear for Tetek who I just can’t see getting near the squad with everyone fit. Also struggling to see how we’ll fit both Holmes and McIntyre in the squads each week too. Of course, dependent on getting everyone back which doesn’t seem to ever happen

Tetek’s day will come, can’t say he’s really put to much of a foot wrong so far and has been eye-catchingly good in a couple of games he’s started.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 14:16

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

So you think

To

Think they're the wrong strikers for that formation. I think both would do better on crosses from wide. But that's about the best way you could do it. Would have to be Laurent who got benched I think, as he's not really one to just sit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Nov 2021 08:49

looks a bit soft in the middle. If DD gets back to his best form that he showed for us it could work. or Laurent learns to be disciplined again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Nov 2021 09:45

Hound looks a bit soft in the middle. If DD gets back to his best form that he showed for us it could work. or Laurent learns to be disciplined again

Agree. It's about the best option I've seen anyone suggest for going 2 up though. Bit narrow for my tastes.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Nov 2021 10:03

Hound Re: Andy Carroll:
looks a bit soft in the middle.

Bit rude...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Nov 2021 13:14

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal So you think

To

Think they're the wrong strikers for that formation. I think both would do better on crosses from wide. But that's about the best way you could do it. Would have to be Laurent who got benched I think, as he's not really one to just sit.

Actually thought McIntyre played the sitting role well last year on the few occasions we tried it. Have been lacking that sort of player for a while now since VDB left. As you say, Laurent seems to have converted more to a box to box midfielder rather than a holding one

Just another option anyway, hopefully we can start to regain some form of attacking threat again with players back

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Nov 2021 13:54

morganb
Hound Re: Andy Carroll:
looks a bit soft in the middle.

Bit rude...

Does he want to be called Al though?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Nov 2021 14:06

If we had to play 4-4-2 with the current side I'd put Swift in one of the wide midfield spots. He's always looked good on the left but I think he'd make a better right winger than Ejaria. Just get him hitting deep crosses in for Carroll and Puscas.

There would be a serious lack of pace but you can't have everything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Nov 2021 18:40

SCIAG If we had to play 4-4-2 with the current side I'd put Swift in one of the wide midfield spots. He's always looked good on the left but I think he'd make a better right winger than Ejaria. Just get him hitting deep crosses in for Carroll and Puscas.

Always thought Swift was poor out wide. But he's twice the player he used to be so maybe. Feels a bit risky. His delivery is good, but feel he wouldn’t be as involved and we want him as involved as possible.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Nov 2021 19:07

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG If we had to play 4-4-2 with the current side I'd put Swift in one of the wide midfield spots. He's always looked good on the left but I think he'd make a better right winger than Ejaria. Just get him hitting deep crosses in for Carroll and Puscas.

Always thought Swift was poor out wide. But he's twice the player he used to be so maybe. Feels a bit risky. His delivery is good, but feel he wouldn’t be as involved and we want him as involved as possible.

Yep there is the danger he would be isolated out wide. However there is no doubt we would get a much better delivery into the box on the occasions he had the ball.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Nov 2021 09:22

Was impressed with the little we saw. Looked lean and fit, just needs to get that match sharpness.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2021 09:27

Did think our crossing wasn't very good on the day - if we can get quality into the box then I'm pretty sure he'll do well. Probably is reliant on getting the ball to Swift out wide - maybe Halilovic (not seen enough of Hoilett) once back fit

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2021 09:45

NathStPaul Was impressed with the little we saw. Looked lean and fit, just needs to get that match sharpness.

How I saw it as well. Think he'll be someone to bring on for the first couple of games - wouldn't be surprised to see him starting once we get into December.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Nov 2021 10:14

Hendo
NathStPaul Was impressed with the little we saw. Looked lean and fit, just needs to get that match sharpness.

How I saw it as well. Think he'll be someone to bring on for the first couple of games - wouldn't be surprised to see him starting once we get into December.

Yep, I'd start with pretty much the same side tomorrow - can make a case for not starting Moore but only if there is a 3rd fit CB - then bring Carroll on after an hour or so to go up top with Puscas. If it is anything like Saturday it will cause a bit of havoc as teams need to readjust to the extra threat and hopefully gives some of our ball players more space to work their magic.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Nov 2021 10:59

Hendo

Was surprised by how much running he did. Thought he'd just be stood in the middle waiting for the ball to come across, but actually ended up out wide quite a bit.

When he ran he looked like a majestic stallion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2021 11:12

favourite moment for me was the defending header from the corner - went absolutely miles, exactly what I want to see from him as well

580 posts