George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2022 21:07

Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman Anderlecht apparently interested in a loan-to-buy move.

If they’re picking up the wages then yes please

Probably best for all but baring a new signing, Puscas joining Carroll out the door means our striking options would be Joao, who has 2 mins to his name since August and Clarke, who has no starts.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 17 Jan 2022 22:26

Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman Anderlecht apparently interested in a loan-to-buy move.

If they’re picking up the wages then yes please

Carroll gone and Puscas potentially going, which leaves Joao, who has the structural integrity of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, as the only "fit" senior striker. Not exactly blessed with options. Meite has been a massive loss, because a) he has that knack of scoring goals, and b) his work rate and enthusiasm is infectious.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 18 Jan 2022 06:38

Puscas would be no loss as he doesn't add anything to the team let alone score.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Jan 2022 08:02

Puscas is one player I have been willing to do well. He obviously has talent but at the moment he’s reminding me of Simon Church. He’s not going to out muscle a big centre half and he doesn’t have much pace. Also, I can’t remember him scoring with his head.

It may well be down to Pauno’s tatics or a general lack of confidence. I wish him well if he does leave but if he stays he’s one of ours so we should back him. “Feed Puscas and he will score”. Not as good as the Goat.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jan 2022 08:42

Well if this happens along with Rafael we are probably freeing up around £35k in wages, i would expect there are a few free agents out there that would come here for £5k a week. for the rest of the season.
Sadly it hasn`t worked out for George here and a move is best in both parties interest.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 09:07

Hopefully he does. I always hoped it would work out for him here, he's shown bits of his quality and you can see there is a player in there, but he hasn't been able to find the consistency here, especially since Pauno took over. 13 odd goals or whatever he managed in his first season isn't a bad return for your first season in the Championship, although for £10m you'd expect far more. We will be taking a big hit there.

But even if a loan and subsequent permanent fee in the summer can bring in a couple of million and get his wages off the wage bill, I'd be hoping that maybe 2/3 recruits could be brought in this month minimum. Possibly a full back, attacker and a creative player.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2022 11:01

Whatever happened to the poor chap.

Those 2 great goals against Colin and then downhill from there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2022 13:30

YorkshireRoyal99
But even if a loan and subsequent permanent fee in the summer can bring in a couple of million and get his wages off the wage bill, I'd be hoping that maybe 2/3 recruits could be brought in this month minimum. Possibly a full back, attacker and a creative player.

All preferably injury resistant too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 13:32

Yeah we could do with searching the injury records of any potential targets, last thing we want is more crooks coming into the club for the remainder of the season!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2022 14:01

Millsy Whatever happened to the poor chap.

Management inadequacies/playing in the wrong system

Went on about it with Baldock and it’s the exact same with Puscas. If you dissect his career here, he started in a duo with Joao, and whilst he had ups and downs in this period, there was promise. We then reverted to a 4-2-3-1 and he struggled until Bowen brought Baldock out from the cold and him and Puscas played really well together for a few games

Surprise surprise Baldock picked up an injury and we never saw those two play from the start in a duo again (still can’t work out why to this day). Puscas reverted to being a lone striker and whilst he notched a few goals in that time, his all round play was really lacking. This was a common pattern until March last year where again, he played up top with Joao, and again, looked at his best with someone to feed off. For some bizarre reason, he was dropped again and he hasn’t scored since, struggling week after week as the focal point. Unsurprisingly, in the snippets he played with Carroll this season, he looked at his best

I find it hard to believe our managers haven’t noticed the theme between Puscas playing in a duo and Puscas playing better

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 14:08

URZZZZ

Went on about it with Baldock and it’s the exact same with Puscas. If you dissect his career here, he started in a duo with Joao, and whilst he had ups and downs in this period, there was promise. We then reverted to a 4-2-3-1 and he struggled until Bowen brought Baldock out from the cold and him and Puscas played really well together for a few games

Surprise surprise Baldock picked up an injury and we never saw those two play from the start in a duo again (still can’t work out why to this day). Puscas reverted to being a lone striker and whilst he notched a few goals in that time, his all round play was really lacking. This was a common pattern until March last year where again, he played up top with Joao, and again, looked at his best with someone to feed off. For some bizarre reason, he was dropped again and he hasn’t scored since, struggling week after week as the focal point. Unsurprisingly, in the snippets he played with Carroll this season, he looked at his best

I find it hard to believe our managers haven’t noticed the theme between Puscas playing in a duo and Puscas playing better

I agree with this, Puscas has always worked better in a two. Adding to this, we were 1-0 down away at Wigan before we brought on both Joao and Boye and we got more players around him and we scored his infamous 5 minute hat-trick (I know we started with a 2 man forward line in this game but we didn't get the bodies around him until the change).

I have always thought this but, given the players we signed during our summer spend, I always though Gomes was onto something with his 3-5-2. Rinomhota to hold the fort in midfield, Swift and Ejaria to break from midfield and provide an attacking threat with the width coming from the wing backs. It was narrow all things considered and we would be vulnerable in wide areas on the counter attack, but that's actually where, theoretically, we would excel in transitions as the most common place a lot of teams try and counter attack from is down the middle of the pitch where we had numbers. I'm surprised we haven't tried to partner Puscas with another attacker as he's always been at his best when this has happened and a 3-5-2 would suit our team with the lack of wide players in our team as well as the options we have at CB and in midfield.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2022 14:39

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I agree with this, Puscas has always worked better in a two. Adding to this, we were 1-0 down away at Wigan before we brought on both Joao and Boye and we got more players around him and we scored his infamous 5 minute hat-trick (I know we started with a 2 man forward line in this game but we didn't get the bodies around him until the change).

I have always thought this but, given the players we signed during our summer spend, I always though Gomes was onto something with his 3-5-2. Rinomhota to hold the fort in midfield, Swift and Ejaria to break from midfield and provide an attacking threat with the width coming from the wing backs. It was narrow all things considered and we would be vulnerable in wide areas on the counter attack, but that's actually where, theoretically, we would excel in transitions as the most common place a lot of teams try and counter attack from is down the middle of the pitch where we had numbers. I'm surprised we haven't tried to partner Puscas with another attacker as he's always been at his best when this has happened and a 3-5-2 would suit our team with the lack of wide players in our team as well as the options we have at CB and in midfield.

Good fair points thanks guys.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 18 Jan 2022 15:06

Millsy
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Good fair points thanks guys.

I agree

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jan 2022 11:18

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I have always thought this but, given the players we signed during our summer spend, I always though Gomes was onto something with his 3-5-2. Rinomhota to hold the fort in midfield, Swift and Ejaria to break from midfield and provide an attacking threat with the width coming from the wing backs. It was narrow all things considered and we would be vulnerable in wide areas on the counter attack, but that's actually where, theoretically, we would excel in transitions as the most common place a lot of teams try and counter attack from is down the middle of the pitch where we had numbers.

Slight tangent now but I think this was part of the problem. Essentially asking a high energy player like Rinomhota to sit isn’t ideal and I think that midfield three was too soft. For me, the obvious answer was Pele sitting, Rinomhota as the engine and then Swift/Ejaria as the playmaker

Back onto Puscas though - it’s just another example of a player bought without really thinking of the overall strategy

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jan 2022 11:27

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I have always thought this but, given the players we signed during our summer spend, I always though Gomes was onto something with his 3-5-2. Rinomhota to hold the fort in midfield, Swift and Ejaria to break from midfield and provide an attacking threat with the width coming from the wing backs. It was narrow all things considered and we would be vulnerable in wide areas on the counter attack, but that's actually where, theoretically, we would excel in transitions as the most common place a lot of teams try and counter attack from is down the middle of the pitch where we had numbers.

Slight tangent now but I think this was part of the problem. Essentially asking a high energy player like Rinomhota to sit isn’t ideal and I think that midfield three was too soft. For me, the obvious answer was Pele sitting, Rinomhota as the engine and then Swift/Ejaria as the playmaker

Back onto Puscas though - it’s just another example of a player bought without really thinking of the overall strategy

Yeah that is true however we did always have the 3 at the back to compensate anyway so if we did leave Rinomhota (or Pele) relatively unsupported in the midfield, there was a backbone behind him, it just relied on a defender not being scared to come out of position at times to engage with the ball and for all of his criticisms recently, Liam Moore has never been afraid to engage a player out of position. But I know what you're saying about being too soft, I agree with that.

Ironically Bowen mentioned in an interview last season that the club did not do enough research into signing Puscas which I wasn't surprised at hearing to be honest. It does make me wonder though what professional football clubs goes and breaks their transfer record on a player that they did not know enough about, mind boggling.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2022 17:53

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Gomes system left us so exposed on the flanks it was unplayable. WBs spending all their time midway in the opposition half.

Think Bowen's preseason transition to a 4-4-2 diamond ( I think it was) showed more promise. Especially because of his emphasis on hard work and roughing up the opposition.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jan 2022 13:09

If Puscas left tomorrow, Joao still isn't fit to start. Who would start? Clarke?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 13:39

John Smith If Puscas left tomorrow, Joao still isn't fit to start. Who would start? Clarke?

Theoretically speaking yes. Although I don't think the club would let him go without a replacement, such as Carroll, being lined up/signed on first.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 22:09

YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith If Puscas left tomorrow, Joao still isn't fit to start. Who would start? Clarke?

Theoretically speaking yes. Although I don't think the club would let him go without a replacement, such as Carroll, being lined up/signed on first.

Not sure why, we could play a mannequin upfront and it would have just as much chance of scoring as Puscas

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2022 22:57

I want him to leave, not because I don`t like him but because working under a manager that knows the fukk what he`s doing he will return to being a natural goal scorer.
I really feel for the guy trying to do what isn`t his natural game.

791 posts