George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by tidus_mi2 » 06 May 2022 22:28

Stranded Puscas scores again as Pisa win 2-1.

Finish 4th so get a 1st round bye in the play-offs.

Finished 3rd, ahead of Monza on H2H record.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 May 2022 07:38

8 goals in 17 games, always been a proven goal scorer if used properly. lots of fans out there looking pretty stupid now.
I think Pisa will want to keep him regardless if they go up or not.

His goal yesterday
https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/15 ... 2410766337

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 May 2022 09:04

windermereROYAL 8 goals in 17 games, always been a proven goal scorer if used properly. lots of fans out there looking pretty stupid now.

His goal yesterday

Isn’t the problem that ‘using him properly’ woukd have meant completely changing our way of playing, leaving someone else out and possibly using better players in less optimal positions.
It’s good to see Puscas doing well but it’s not like he is Benzema and worth compromising everything else just to get him in the team.
Also factor is that he’s probably playing at a lower standard currently....

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 May 2022 09:12

Nameless
windermereROYAL 8 goals in 17 games, always been a proven goal scorer if used properly. lots of fans out there looking pretty stupid now.

His goal yesterday

Isn’t the problem that ‘using him properly’ woukd have meant completely changing our way of playing, leaving someone else out and possibly using better players in less optimal positions.
It’s good to see Puscas doing well but it’s not like he is Benzema and worth compromising everything else just to get him in the team.

Your personal opinion or fact? it`s the second tier of a major footballing nation so why should the standard be lower?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 May 2022 09:29

windermereROYAL
Nameless

His goal yesterday

Your personal opinion or fact? it`s the second tier of a major footballing nation so why should the standard be lower?

Does the word ‘probably’ help ?
I don’t think it’s especially controversial to suggest that English football has more depth of quality than other countries.
Having said that even if you delete that minor comment the argument that we should have completely rearranged our team to suit Puscas is at best debatable. Not necessarily wrong, but certainly not definitively right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2022 13:25

Nameless
windermereROYAL
Nameless

I don’t think it’s especially controversial to suggest that English football has more depth of quality than other countries.
Having said that even if you delete that minor comment the argument that we should have completely rearranged our team to suit Puscas is at best debatable. Not necessarily wrong, but certainly not definitively right.

Championship is the richest second tier in the world iirc and at least close to the top 10 in europe including top flights iirc

Wealth doesn’t equal quality, but there's a big link.

On the other hand, I agree with windy that we could have used him much better and got more out of him quite easily.

Swift was out most of last season and you could probably have dropped Semedo in favour of 2 up with Puscas and Meite / Joao / Melvin-Lambert or something.

And similar this season. Meite has barely played, so you're not displacing him. It's not hard to make it work.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 May 2022 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
windermereROYAL [/b]

Championship is the richest second tier in the world iirc and at least close to the top 10 in europe including top flights iirc

On the other hand, I agree with windy that we could have used him much better and got more out of him quite easily.

Swift was out most of last season and you could probably have dropped Semedo in favour of 2 up with Puscas and Meite / Joao / Melvin-Lambert or something.

And similar this season. Meite has barely played, so you're not displacing him. It's not hard to make it work.

The potential was there in the Huddersfield game in a two-man attack with Joao. It's been there since he signed.

When we did actually play Joao and Puscas as a pair throughout most of the 19-20 season, he hit 12 goals in the league. Not fantastic for the money that we paid for him, but still a very respectable figure and something to build off. We've seen how well Joao has done over the last couple of seasons, those 2 as a pair over 40+ games would potentially hit 30 goals between them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2022 19:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

The potential was there in the Huddersfield game in a two-man attack with Joao. It's been there since he signed.

When we did actually play Joao and Puscas as a pair throughout most of the 19-20 season, he hit 12 goals in the league. Not fantastic for the money that we paid for him, but still a very respectable figure and something to build off. We've seen how well Joao has done over the last couple of seasons, those 2 as a pair over 40+ games would potentially hit 30 goals between them.

You're making things up again. Joao and Puscas started up front together 4 times in 19/20.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 May 2022 20:43

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Championship is the richest second tier in the world iirc and at least close to the top 10 in europe including top flights iirc

You're making things up again. Joao and Puscas started up front together 4 times in 19/20.

Who said anything about just starts?

Tbf though, I probably should have just said when we play with a 2 man attack, that's where Puscas has always seemed to thrive, that was the main point.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 07 May 2022 21:30

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
windermereROYAL [/b]

Isn't it equal fifth with the Bundesliga?

I would imagine that Puscas would score goals in Scotland as well as the Italian second tier, but the Championship is different and players do find it difficult to score goals.

If money wasn't a problem, I would love to see Puscas back playing with Joao to see how he does. Money is crucial though and he is just not worth the fortune we are paying him.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 May 2022 23:54

Fairly confident Barnsley would stay up in Serie A

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 09:31

Nameless

His goal yesterday

with 90% of the squad out of contract, now is as good a time as any to 'change our way of playing' we have a clean slate we could decide next season we want to play with two up top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 09:43

I don’t think it’s 90% unless we have a squad of about 100

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 09 May 2022 10:06

As it has been mentioned above. It is all about slashing wages and getting money in.
Getting Puscas off the books is possibly one of the 2 ways of of doing the above with out really harming what we barely have (getting Moore off the books is the other option).
Even though I like him as a player and I do think he can step up to prove himself if used properly we cannot afford to refuse an acceptable offer.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 11:31

Hound I don’t think it’s 90% unless we have a squad of about 100

Christ you really are a captious twat aren't you :| it was obviously an exaggerated number... but not by much as it turns out.

If you want the numbers, as per the out-of-contract thread on the team board viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188770&start=100#p5247162 of the 30 squad members. 16 are ooc, and 4 loan players have left. Puscas and Moore could/should be off. If they both leave then that's 22 players out of the squad of 30 off - 73.3333333%

of the remaining players, Clarke is out of favour, and reckon he will go out on loan next season which pushes it up to 76%.

So the point still stands, if we wanted to change our system/philosophy with 75% :| of our players leaving, now is a good a time as any.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 May 2022 11:43

finishing 3rd gives you a big advantage in the Serie B play offs. Lets hope Pisa go up so we get some cash in for this lad

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 11:54

Brogue

Christ you really are a captious twat aren't you :| it was obviously an exaggerated number... but not by much as it turns out.

If you want the numbers, as per the out-of-contract thread on the team board viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188770&start=100#p5247162 of the 30 squad members. 16 are ooc, and 4 loan players have left. Puscas and Moore could/should be off. If they both leave then that's 22 players out of the squad of 30 off - 73.3333333%

of the remaining players, Clarke is out of favour, and reckon he will go out on loan next season which pushes it up to 76%.

So the point still stands, if we wanted to change our system/philosophy with 75% :| of our players leaving, now is a good a time as any.

Yep that’s better

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 17:54

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 17:58

Coppells Lost Coat As it has been mentioned above. It is all about slashing wages and getting money in.
Getting Puscas off the books is possibly one of the 2 ways of of doing the above with out really harming what we barely have (getting Moore off the books is the other option).
Even though I like him as a player and I do think he can step up to prove himself if used properly we cannot afford to refuse an acceptable offer.

Excellent post.

If used right Puscas is an asset, but he's probably far more valuable to is getting his wage off the bill and bringing in a substantial wedge than playing for us.

From his wage and a transfer fee of €5m you could fund 2 or 3 reasonable Championship free transfer players probably. Net gain.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 May 2022 08:59

Something else to factor in - would he WANT to stay with us?

Players are like any other employee; treat them poorly and they will look for another employer. Added to which for a striker, scoring goals is what gets them up in the morning, so if Puscas is happy and scoring goals why would he want to come back to his Parent club that is - lets face it - pretty dysfunctional, where he didn't get much game time and when it did, it wasn't in a system that played to his strengths, which meant less game time, fewer opportunities, fewer goals, more unhappiness.........

791 posts