George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 10:24

Coppells Lost Coat
YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat If we have the squad to play with 2 up top then great. But lets not wedge players into the team just to use them.

Play the best system for the players you have. That was VP downfall last season. he continued with his system still thinking we had Joao, Olise and Richards in the team, when the reality was Puscas, Bristow and TDB.....

I think we are in a position where we probably do have to use what we have at the moment. Be it true or not, it does seem as if selling players might be unviable at this point given we may not be able to invest significantly in a replacement for whoever.

It's not like we have poor players contracted either.

I am not sure we have the players to play any formation or style atm. Lets see where we are in a few weeks time.
I am in favour of selling if it means we can be more flexible in the market. Absolutely no point of selling if we are not able to reinvest a good portion of the money.
I am positive that Puscas will have a decent goal return if used correctly...I would also say Joao would also score just as many using the same system we should use for Puscas.

True, but we have some foundation to start off.

We've now got our goalkeeper in Lumley, a back 3 of Holmes - Moore - McIntyre will do, with both Dann and potentially Dorsett and/or Abbey to cover that area (as well as Southwood presuming he doesn't leave).

Joao and Puscas can play as a two, Yiadom one wing back and Ejaria potentially in a CAM midfield role. Then it's just filling the gaps at LWB and in midfield where Tetek can fulfill a role or be part of the squad at least, assuming Rino doesn't sign. So it's not much, but there is a starting point that can work.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jun 2022 10:41

Zip The problem is Ince is unlikely to start with two upfront. If he does then Puscas and Joao will do a good job.....but it will come at a cost elsewhere.

We can hardly do a worse job of defending to be fair

Most people can accept losses but it was the weak and feeble attempts to get back into games (mostly under Pauno) which was particularly grinding, like for like changes with no impact

There are of course drawbacks to every formation including a 4-4-2 (otherwise every manager would use it) but it’s good to keep your mind open and be flexible. Look at the impact Moore had for Bournemouth last season, even in just 3 appearances

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jun 2022 10:47

URZZZZ
Zip The problem is Ince is unlikely to start with two upfront. If he does then Puscas and Joao will do a good job.....but it will come at a cost elsewhere.

Most people can accept losses but it was the weak and feeble attempts to get back into games (mostly under Pauno) which was particularly grinding, like for like changes with no impact

There are of course drawbacks to every formation including a 4-4-2 (otherwise every manager would use it) but it’s good to keep your mind open and be flexible. Look at the impact Moore had for Bournemouth last season, even in just 3 appearances

I guess the concern is going to be have we got enough in central midfield if we play two upfront. At the moment the answer is a resounding “no”.
It will help if fitness levels are improved upon during this pre season.

We also have to look at the other end of the pitch. Does playing three at the back and then two wingbacks work for us? I don’t think it does. So I would prefer to play a flat back four.

For years we have struggled under a good number of managers to implement systems that are a good fit with the players we have. Until that changes we will continue to struggle.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 10:57

Zip
URZZZZ

I guess the concern is going to be have we got enough in central midfield if we play two upfront. At the moment the answer is a resounding “no”.

We also have to look at the other end of the pitch. Does playing three at the back and then two wingbacks work for us? I don’t think it does. So I would prefer to play a flat back four.

For years we have struggled under a good number of managers to implement systems that are a good fit with the players we have. Until that changes we will continue to struggle.

What's the reservations around playing 3 at the back with wing backs?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jun 2022 10:59

Zip
URZZZZ

If we can convince Rino to sign, I don’t think an Ince-Rinomhota-McIntyre-Hoilett would be a disaster as a midfield four. Doesn’t strike me as too dissimilar to McDermott’s four although of course it is based on limited evidence of seeing McIntyre in midfield

Agreed on the rest mind. Said before about 5 at the back being a fad and that it really requires a certain set of players, something we don’t have

We are limited in what we can do transfers wise but should be a priority on covering all bases. Every manager we have seems to just overstock in midfield

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jun 2022 11:02

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip
URZZZZ

I just don’t think it works. Our wing backs have not been good crossers of the ball particularly Yids so I don’t see any benefit in an attacking sense. With the back three they have been exposed so often with a lack of protection in front of them. We just don’t seem to know how to play this formation.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 11:43

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

I just don’t think it works. Our wing backs have not been good crossers of the ball particularly Yids so I don’t see any benefit in an attacking sense. With the back three they have been exposed so often with a lack of protection in front of them. We just don’t seem to know how to play this formation.

I think it would be ok, having Yids on one side would allow us to have a more offensive LWB, knowing that McIntyre (and Holmes) is comfortable defending in the wider areas given his experience at LB, albeit limited.

A decent enough midfield in front of them can provide that protection, we'd just need someone alongside Tetek that can do a box to box job and be decent enough on the ball, Laurent would have probably fit well there to me, with Ejaria being used more centrally where his good ball control can get us through tight areas and looking for the likes of Joao and Puscas who can play off each other.

I genuinely believe that with some decent work and good acquisitions, that would be the way to go. Everyone has an opinion mind.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 13:02

blythspartan I am not really clever with football formations but would a good old fashioned 4-4-2 where everyone understands their role and is being played in their correct position be a bad thing? Probably because I don’t always understand but sometimes the game we love seems way over complicated at times.

No. Although we'd have to have the players to make it work. Wouldn’t say we do currently. Mind you that applies to everything right now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 13:05

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip
URZZZZ

We don't have a left wing back, and the only senior CB with any pace at all, has poor positioning doesn't want to be here, isn't wanted and has been scapegoated by the owner.

A back 3 with our current senior players would be exposed because they couldn't cover the flanks well in behind the wing backs.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jun 2022 13:54

Didn't we play Yids in a back 3 once? And he looked fairly ok / no worse than our other cbs?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Jun 2022 14:23

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

We don't have a left wing back, and the only senior CB with any pace at all, has poor positioning doesn't want to be here, isn't wanted and has been scapegoated by the owner.

A back 3 with our current senior players would be exposed because they couldn't cover the flanks well in behind the wing backs.

I'm not sure playing 4 at the back solves any of those problems though. We dont have a left back, our CB's are slow but we will still want out full backs to get forward.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jun 2022 14:28

You know - the way that the EFL restrictions work, it might actually better for us that Puscas stays. In that, whilst getting him off the wage bill would help with our overall figures, the reality might be that we can't really 'use' that money at the moment due to the various rules we're trying to follow. If Puscas comes back and scores at remotely the rate he was at Pisa, that might be more valuable to us right now.

Once/if the EFL lets us get on with managing our own finances, then we will definitely want make sure we are maximising the value of every £1 salary we are spending.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 14:35

Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I'm not sure playing 4 at the back solves any of those problems though. We dont have a left back, our CB's are slow but we will still want out full backs to get forward.

Think it exacerbates it. But yeah, still a problem with 4 at the back. I'd expect the DM to be covering the fullback more in a 4 though.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Jun 2022 14:53

Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal We don't have a left wing back, and the only senior CB with any pace at all, has poor positioning doesn't want to be here, isn't wanted and has been scapegoated by the owner.

Think it exacerbates it. But yeah, still a problem with 4 at the back. I'd expect the DM to be covering the fullback more in a 4 though.

Fair enough, I cant see Ince ever going for it but I think it would actually suit Holmes and Mcintyre especially pretty well, and pretty sure Dorsett only ever played in a 3 at rochdale.

Taffster

by Taffster » 20 Jun 2022 16:42

Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal We don't have a left wing back, and the only senior CB with any pace at all, has poor positioning doesn't want to be here, isn't wanted and has been scapegoated by the owner.

See I would expect the DM's to be covering the full backs more a 3 at the back if I'm honest, or dropping in to allow a cb to push wide.

Effectively with wing backs it allows the front 3 to stay high and your not expecting much attacking threat from the 2 DM's, for example kante and jorginho at chelsea (appreciate the difference in quality). What it does require is for us to get an athletic lwb and someone good on the ball to go along side Rhino, someone like a baker would be great.

The problem with 3 at the back is it often leaves you outnumbered when attacking, however with Joao and Ejaria we have people that can beat at man consistently which we would be relying on to get an attacking move going.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 17:04

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

As mentioned below, we don't have a left back or a CB with blistering pace, which I generally don't think we need anyway. No reason as to why we can't recruit an offensive left wing back to cover there. I'm not suggesting a 3 man defence fits like a glove, but with work over the course of the summer/season, I don't see why it can't be implemented successfully and I think would go some way to improving our woeful defensive record. Keeping Joao, Puscas and Meite, we've got goals in our team, we just need to keep them out.

Holmes and McIntyre have had experience in full back positions, so I wouldn't expect them to be uncomfortable when dragged into those sorts of positions and can defend one-on-one well enough, so I think we'd be ok in that aspect. Take the point on Moore though, if we kept him as our middle CB, not exactly an issue as he's a good player at this level in general, if we moved him on, I'd expect a replacement and it would obviously help us in off the field matters as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 18:05

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

As mentioned below, we don't have a left back or a CB with blistering pace, which I generally don't think we need anyway. No reason as to why we can't recruit an offensive left wing back to cover there. I'm not suggesting a 3 man defence fits like a glove, but with work over the course of the summer/season, I don't see why it can't be implemented successfully and I think would go some way to improving our woeful defensive record. Keeping Joao, Puscas and Meite, we've got goals in our team, we just need to keep them out.

Holmes and McIntyre have had experience in full back positions, so I wouldn't expect them to be uncomfortable when dragged into those sorts of positions and can defend one-on-one well enough, so I think we'd be ok in that aspect. Take the point on Moore though, if we kept him as our middle CB, not exactly an issue as he's a good player at this level in general, if we moved him on, I'd expect a replacement and it would obviously help us in off the field matters as well.

To be clear, I'm not talking about blistering pace. I'm talking about not being glacially slow.

Holmes and McIntyre can defend wide fine when they're there. They just can't get there quick enough to do it effectively from CB a lot of the time.

They both got beaten for pace regularly when already at fullback.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 21:07

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

To be clear, I'm not talking about blistering pace. I'm talking about not being glacially slow.

Holmes and McIntyre can defend wide fine when they're there. They just can't get there quick enough to do it effectively from CB a lot of the time.

They both got beaten for pace regularly when already at fullback.

I know the style is different of course, but there are plenty of clubs who play with a 3 at the back with defenders who "lack pace", generally CB's are not that quick because their positioning makes up for it.

As I say, not saying it's fool proof by any means and would need work, but it's not going to be any worse than what we had last season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Jun 2022 18:55

Pisa are in negotiations to sign George Pușcaș, but for a lower price than what was discussed in January when promotion was possible. [@CorSport] #readingfc https://t.co/ciogy4v5FL

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Jun 2022 10:41

Genoa have met with George Pușcaș’ representatives over a potential transfer. Sampdoria and Cagliari are also interested.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 2154773505

791 posts