January Window

401 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: January Window

by andrew1957 » 24 Jan 2022 15:07

It is being widely reported that Arsenal will only let Hein come to us if he is first choice. I think that would be a terrible move as it completely undermines LS who really has not been at fault for many of the goals. Can only think that the super agent will get another 300K for arranging the loan.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 15:14

andrew1957 It is being widely reported that Arsenal will only let Hein come to us if he is first choice. I think that would be a terrible move as it completely undermines LS who really has not been at fault for many of the goals. Can only think that the super agent will get another 300K for arranging the loan.

It all just seems like a risky signing, but it would be fitting given the nature of most of our signings since Kia has been involved.

To some degree, all of the ridiculously risky signings we have made under Kia, at some stage, have shown promise. Puscas had a good first season for a relatively young CF coming into the Championship and has shown glimpses of his quality, Joao fired in the goals last season, Ejaria was one of the division's top performers a couple of seasons ago etc. Most of the signings that we've made, at some stage, have shown promise of what could have been. Unfortunately, it never all clicked like we'd hoped it would. Such is the life of gambling.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Jan 2022 15:37

Karl Hein confimred....I guess?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2022 15:40

tidus_mi2 Karl Hein confimred....I guess?

He is - seems like a very strange choice but with a defence leaking goals of late and players back from injury/AFCON there then keeper is the place to change - assume he must be coming in as #1? Guess we'll find out on Saturday.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 15:41

All we can do is hope and pray that he is a good goalkeeper and not a Virginia all over again. Given our restricted transfers and loans, this is one where we must get it right.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Jan 2022 15:43

Will there be a special chant when, due to our porous defence, Hein finds himself under siege?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 15:45

An old has been GK type signing would make sense a experienced head, getting another kid to come in is a bit of a shambles. I really am at my wits end with the decision makers. Like with every signing I am unhappy with, happy to be proven wrong but this is pushing it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 15:50

It just seems like another risky signing, it's not one I'd write off straight away, but given our situation you would surely be looking to bring in as much experience and reliability as possible, especially in the goalkeeping department. I sincerely hope Hein proves me wrong (if he even starts that is), but that's really the point, he still has to prove it at club level.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Jan 2022 16:19

Mad signing as it means that the club is effectively saying all our young keepers are rubbish. No offence to Hein but if he comes in as first choice on Saturday, I actually hope he lets in 6 - which will at least highlight the absolute joke RFC has now become.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 16:25

Why would you ever wish the side to lose in that manner? Or lose at all?

I personally don't think it's a case of saying all of our young goalkeepers are rubbish, it's probably more a case of bringing in more competition and saying to other younger goalkeepers such as Boyce-Clarke, Holden etc that they are not ready for this level of football yet.

We've seen how Bristow has struggled at times and even Ashcroft at times when they've been thrown into the first team despite not being ready. That's not to say that they won't be ready, but they just aren't at the moment. In fairness to Hein, even though he has a lack of first team experience he's still an International footballer with some experience at that level for Estonia. Sure, they aren't great, but we won't be signing International players playing for great sides.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 17:53

YorkshireRoyal99 Why would you ever wish the side to lose in that manner? Or lose at all?

I personally don't think it's a case of saying all of our young goalkeepers are rubbish, it's probably more a case of bringing in more competition and saying to other younger goalkeepers such as Boyce-Clarke, Holden etc that they are not ready for this level of football yet.

We've seen how Bristow has struggled at times and even Ashcroft at times when they've been thrown into the first team despite not being ready. That's not to say that they won't be ready, but they just aren't at the moment. In fairness to Hein, even though he has a lack of first team experience he's still an International footballer with some experience at that level for Estonia. Sure, they aren't great, but we won't be signing International players playing for great sides.

A personal sense of justice.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Jan 2022 08:17

It is understood that a new centre-back will be joining the club before the window closes.

[@berkshire_live] #readingfc https://t.co/IJH6G1QnSB

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2022 08:35

morganb It is understood that a new centre-back will be joining the club before the window closes.

[@berkshire_live] #readingfc https://t.co/IJH6G1QnSB

Will have to be a loan or free agent.

Imagine it will be the former as free agents will not have played for some time - looking at a recent list, the only CBs who are free agents who have English football experience are:

Timm Klose
Branislav Ivanovic
Winston Reid
David Wheater

All wrong side of 30, so imagine a young or out of favour PL player is more likely.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Jan 2022 09:04

This signing is a real signal of our intent :lol:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 09:07

I wouldn't actually mind any of those players (other than maybe Wheater), even if it was just for 6 months. Winston Reid would be my personal pick as I've rated him over the years but football for him has been limited for a few seasons, as it has with most. Timm Klose also would not be a bad signing either.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jan 2022 12:39

Charlie Goode, Is being offered out on loan by Brentford, apparently a few championship clubs interested, Might make sense as we are just down the road from Brentford that this might be the one we are looking at.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 12:42

linkenholtroyal Charlie Goode, Is being offered out on loan by Brentford, apparently a few championship clubs interested, Might make sense as we are just down the road from Brentford that this might be the one we are looking at.

Would be a Goode signing imo, just what we need.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 12:53

We’ve been poor at CB all season but sign another one? We have 5 already. Surprised we’re allowed as much as anything else

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Jan 2022 12:54

Hound We’ve been poor at CB all season but sign another one? We have 5 already. Surprised we’re allowed as much as anything else

May suggest that the end is nigh for Moore

Or it may not

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 12:56

NathStPaul
linkenholtroyal Charlie Goode, Is being offered out on loan by Brentford, apparently a few championship clubs interested, Might make sense as we are just down the road from Brentford that this might be the one we are looking at.

Would be a Goode signing imo, just what we need.

6ft 5. New keeper is 6ft 4. Suspect if this is the case, Pauno thinks the lack of height at the back is partly why we’re so susceptible to crosses. Possibly right

401 posts