Zip
Brogue Mason greenwood could be a good shout

He would be a hit I feel.

Bloody good

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Window

by windermereROYAL » 31 Jan 2022 09:39

Bournemouth hitting deadline day hard, no surprise there i you have parachute money.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jan 2022 09:45

windermereROYAL Bournemouth hitting deadline day hard, no surprise there i you have parachute money.

Signing Keifer Moore and Siriki Dembele apparently, don't like them but at least they're robbing our relegation rivals I suppose.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 09:47

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL Bournemouth hitting deadline day hard, no surprise there i you have parachute money.

Signing Keifer Moore and Siriki Dembele apparently, don't like them but at least they're robbing our relegation rivals I suppose.

We needed them to get Lawrence

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jan 2022 09:54

Zip
tidus_mi2

Frankly, the only reason Derby even are in a shot of survival is because the rest of the bottom 4 have been so poor. If we play as well as we have shown in very limited patches we'd be well clear of the relegation zone right now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 09:56

tidus_mi2
Zip
tidus_mi2 Signing Keifer Moore and Siriki Dembele apparently, don't like them but at least they're robbing our relegation rivals I suppose.

Frankly, the only reason Derby even are in a shot of survival is because the rest of the bottom 4 have been so poor. If we play as well as we have shown in very limited patches we'd be well clear of the relegation zone right now.

True but we are where we are and cheating should not be allowed to pay off irrespective of how bad we have been.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Jan 2022 10:20

Zip
tidus_mi2
Zip

True but we are where we are and cheating should not be allowed to pay off irrespective of how bad we have been.

Do we know whether Lawrence is being more than, say, Liam Moore ?
Notwithstanding the fact that they were potentially fraudulent, they’ve received their punishment and are making a good fist of recovering from it.

As for the administrators, their sole responsibility is to maximise the recovery for the creditors. If they believe that maintaining the current staff, at any level, will do that by providing a more attractive package to sell, then that’s what they’ll do.
They are NOT liquidators, they are administrators.

We need to concentrate on getting our own house in order, not whinging about how someone else is coping

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 10:30

YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan
Sutekh
Jesurun is a 19 year old winger who has made 1 sub app for Palace in the PL (in a 3-0 defeat at Chelsea in August 2021) since leaving Chelsea’s youth system in 2019. Has never been on loan before and has no domestic experience of senior football other than that quarter of an hour he got as a replacement for Riedewald in the aforementioned game.

Never heard of him but if he’s super quick I wouldn’t say no. Personally, I am hoping that we sign Charlie Goode from Brentford as he’d be a sensible signing but that’s not always the Reading way these days.

That hasn't been the Reading way since the Dai's arrived, the only sensible signing we have made during their era has been Josh Laurent on a free from Shrewsbury. Alright, maybe being a bit harsh as Morrison and Yiadom were both pretty sensible signings, but all of the rest are so questionable one way or another and we've let a mega amount of talented youngsters leave for nothing who are now performing to some capacity where they would 100% improve us.

I'm completely writing this lad off already but I think I'd actually prefer it if we didn't sign anybody rather than wanting myself to get optimistic over someone who has played virtually no first team minutes at any level. He might surprise me and be great, but I honestly wouldn't even bother. Not even sure why our recruitment team and all the rest involved have even wasted their time, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

most of the really decent young players were binned off under Stam in recent history. Before the new owners came along

A lot of our signings individually have looked ok in recent times. likes of Hoilett and Dann were sensible enough. Baba decent for 8.5 p/w. TDB has been quite good. Puscas was a gamble that hasn't really come off, Joao has been brilliant at times, Ejaria likewise.

Its just they dont fit together as part of a coherent unit. And the manager can't get them to perform consistently

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 10:40

Franchise FC
Zip
tidus_mi2 Frankly, the only reason Derby even are in a shot of survival is because the rest of the bottom 4 have been so poor. If we play as well as we have shown in very limited patches we'd be well clear of the relegation zone right now.

Do we know whether Lawrence is being more than, say, Liam Moore ?
Notwithstanding the fact that they were potentially fraudulent, they’ve received their punishment and are making a good fist of recovering from it.

As for the administrators, their sole responsibility is to maximise the recovery for the creditors. If they believe that maintaining the current staff, at any level, will do that by providing a more attractive package to sell, then that’s what they’ll do.
They are NOT liquidators, they are administrators.

We need to concentrate on getting our own house in order, not whinging about how someone else is coping

I’ve not said they were liquidators so bemused why you mention that. However it is simply not right that they are allowed to retain their current squad without having to sell whilst at the same time negotiating reduced payments to creditors. When we had an Inland Revenue bill to pay we sold ALF to Cardiff pronto. There is talk of paying a reduced sum to the Inland Revenue. That simply must not be allowed to happen.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2022 10:51

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan

Never heard of him but if he’s super quick I wouldn’t say no. Personally, I am hoping that we sign Charlie Goode from Brentford as he’d be a sensible signing but that’s not always the Reading way these days.

That hasn't been the Reading way since the Dai's arrived, the only sensible signing we have made during their era has been Josh Laurent on a free from Shrewsbury. Alright, maybe being a bit harsh as Morrison and Yiadom were both pretty sensible signings, but all of the rest are so questionable one way or another and we've let a mega amount of talented youngsters leave for nothing who are now performing to some capacity where they would 100% improve us.

I'm completely writing this lad off already but I think I'd actually prefer it if we didn't sign anybody rather than wanting myself to get optimistic over someone who has played virtually no first team minutes at any level. He might surprise me and be great, but I honestly wouldn't even bother. Not even sure why our recruitment team and all the rest involved have even wasted their time, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

most of the really decent young players were binned off under Stam in recent history. Before the new owners came along

A lot of our signings individually have looked ok in recent times. likes of Hoilett and Dann were sensible enough. Baba decent for 8.5 p/w. TDB has been quite good. Puscas was a gamble that hasn't really come off, Joao has been brilliant at times, Ejaria likewise.

Its just they dont fit together as part of a coherent unit. And the manager can't get them to perform consistently

In other words, too much flair and not enough steel. No discipline in the team. As we’ve seen for 5/6 years now, the midfield is so easily bypassed

JVDB and Williams weren’t the best midfielders on an individual basis but collectively worked very well, offered a diverse balance. Karacan and Leigertwood too. Sidwell and Harper. Laurent and Rinomhota for a period last season until something changed. It’s not hard to realise all our best seasons cone with a well balanced midfield. They’re all too similar at the moment

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 10:52

Quite telling how little interest there is in our squad. They would do well to reflect upon that.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2022 10:55

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan

I'd personally see the signings this season as a bit of an anomaly due to the restrictions we have in place. Most signings would seem sensible as they are generally going to be low risk when they are loaned in from another club or a free transfer and are on relatively low Championship wages, which most of them are when they are on £6-8k a week.

It's a completely imbalanced squad really. It's a squad that suits a 3-5-2 formation but we just do not have the midfield unfortunately, we should have it with Laurent and Rino in midfield, but that just seems to have completely faded. Whether it comes down to a lack of match sharpness for Rino and just a general lack of confidence, I do not know.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2022 10:57

Zip Quite telling how little interest there is in our squad. They would do well to reflect upon that.

Having so many available for free in the summer doesn’t really help either.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Jan 2022 11:09

We rarely bring people in on January deadline day, probably a waste of time following it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 11:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

I'd personally see the signings this season as a bit of an anomaly due to the restrictions we have in place. Most signings would seem sensible as they are generally going to be low risk when they are loaned in from another club or a free transfer and are on relatively low Championship wages, which most of them are when they are on £6-8k a week.

It's a completely imbalanced squad really. It's a squad that suits a 3-5-2 formation but we just do not have the midfield unfortunately, we should have it with Laurent and Rino in midfield, but that just seems to have completely faded. Whether it comes down to a lack of match sharpness for Rino and just a general lack of confidence, I do not know.

Wouldn't say its totally unbalanced. There is definitely stuff we could do - Rino/Laurent can be that midfield base. We have 2 fit CFs, with Meite coming back as a third option. We have midfielders who can play wide (Hoilett, Meite, Ejaria, Halilovic), loads of CMs and CBs. Two reasonable FBs. Reckon we could find someone in the squad to play CDM (McIntyre potentially) if we wanted to go that way.

I'd still say it'd be an absolute travesty to go down with the quality of players we have. Though obvs they clearly aren't as good as maybe we thought they were

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 11:17

Zip Quite telling how little interest there is in our squad. They would do well to reflect upon that.

yep agreed. Maybe a wake up call for the likes of Laurent

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2022 11:27

Hound

I guess on the other hand there might be more private interest, what with most of the squad being OOC at the end of the season. Teams aren't going to go shouting about it and will end up trying their luck when they become free agents.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Jan 2022 11:29

Hound I'd still say it'd be an absolute travesty to go down with the quality of players we have. Though obvs they clearly aren't as good as maybe we thought they were

Quality players do not necessarily make a quality team. Guess this is where the manager comes in, to blend the individuals we have into a team, though this task has been made harder due to injuries but should still be achievable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 11:53

Hendo
Hound

I guess on the other hand there might be more private interest, what with most of the squad being OOC at the end of the season. Teams aren't going to go shouting about it and will end up trying their luck when they become free agents.

still think if they were really wanted they'd put some kind of offer in. Certainly in Swift's case

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Jan 2022 12:10

Hound
Hendo
Hound

still think if they were really wanted they'd put some kind of offer in. Certainly in Swift's case

Form has been too patchy - yeah he had a blinder at start of season. But when its mattered he has disappeared. Realistically its PL clubs battling - they look at Swift and dont think he is up to it.
Teams like Fulham / Bouremouth / WBA might want him to bolster options but not on his wages and not really any better than what they have.

401 posts